Review by Sushan -- There and Back There Again

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Review by Sushan -- There and Back There Again

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

[Following is a volunteer review of "There and Back There Again" by Andrew Alsup.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It has been quite a long time since I reviewed a non-fiction book. So for a change, I decided to review a non-fiction book, and I chose the only available one, There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup. I began the reading very enthusiastically, but unfortunately it lasted through only a few pages. I would like to begin my review by giving my rating for this book, 1 out of 4 stars, and then I will justify my rating and share my reading experience with you.

It was quite a small book which had only 156 pages. It was divided into several sections as well as several chapters. But the way that the book was organized made it difficult to understand the actual demarcations in between those sections and chapters.

The book was not written under a single topic or a theme. It was an assortment of various topics that belonged to various themes. Amongst those, the mainly highlighted theme was ‘privacy’. The author has described his experiences regarding his auditory hallucinations, and he has described how difficult it is to bear up when one’s privacy is violated. But apparently his ultimate goal was to attract some more people to support his attempt to add the 28th amendment to the US constitution, which is regarding the citizens being able to resist any violation to their privacy by government institutions. This amendment is an internet rumor and the author is trying to give it some publicity. In addition to that there were some other writings under the themes like, religion, law, sex, mathematics, etc.

Though it was very hard to notice any, I would like to start with some good things about the book for the sake of constructive criticism. The author has used the language in a gross manner to express his ideas. Though some may feel uncomfortable with that, I think it has done its part in delivering the exact message in the exact intensity as the author wanted it. Some nice photographs and drawings were included as well. Somehow, the proofreading and editing was done exceptionally well. Though it was a book with a large number of complex sentences and difficult words, I found only a handful of mistakes.

When considering the bad things about the book, the most annoying feature was repeating the same thing again and again. The author has repeatedly explained the importance of ‘privacy’, and it made the reading experience really boring. I was counting the pages wishing it to end soon. In addition to that, there was no proper organization of the book. The facts were mentioned here and there. Not only that, but the sentences were too long and combined with commas, making them really complex. Altogether, this made the reading very difficult.

I do not recommend this to anybody. Maybe someone who is really interested in adding an amendment to the US constitution may find it interesting.

There and Back There Again
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sushan's review? Post a comment saying so!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting review! It sounds like the author was traumatized and wants to get his story out there. You did a great job reviewing this book. Thanks.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

How tragic. I hadn't caught the political vibe from the summary, and I've thought about reading this one. I'm glad I read your review before deciding to read it.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like a tough one. On a light not, maybe the title refers to the repitition of the same thing over and over! Thanks for the candid review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

kdstrack wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 10:49 Interesting review! It sounds like the author was traumatized and wants to get his story out there. You did a great job reviewing this book. Thanks.
Yeah, I think that he is really a psychiatric patient. Thanks for the kind comment 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Vscholz wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 14:42 How tragic. I hadn't caught the political vibe from the summary, and I've thought about reading this one. I'm glad I read your review before deciding to read it.
I am glad that my review was useful for you. Thanks for stopping by 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Cotwani wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 02:58 Sounds like a tough one. On a light not, maybe the title refers to the repitition of the same thing over and over! Thanks for the candid review.
Thanks for the insight regarding the topic. And thanks again for commenting 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm not into political vibes even though I have had my fair share in them, but the errors and mistakes that you took care to mention were clearly off putting. Thanks for the heads up!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sushan Ekanayake

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 04:03 I'm not into political vibes even though I have had my fair share in them, but the errors and mistakes that you took care to mention were clearly off putting. Thanks for the heads up!
Before reading, I also was not aware that the book had something to do with politics. Thanks for stopping by 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I also rated this book at a 1 out of 4-stars. I was thrown off within the beginning part of the book as well.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Sushan Ekanayake

chelhack wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 23:54 I also rated this book at a 1 out of 4-stars. I was thrown off within the beginning part of the book as well.
Glad to see a fellow reviewer who has had a similar reaction. Thanks for the comment 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

You are right, it's very hard to read the book with repeating thoughts, especially if the theme is boring. Thanks for your warning through this review!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Sushan Ekanayake

Sarah Tariq wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 11:48 You are right, it's very hard to read the book with repeating thoughts, especially if the theme is boring. Thanks for your warning through this review!
I am glad that my warning was useful to you. Thanks for the kind comment 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I also was thinking about reading this one and appreciate your honesty, you did good job showing both the positives and negatives. This one is unfortunately not for me
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sushan Ekanayake

Swat3737 wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 12:06 I also was thinking about reading this one and appreciate your honesty, you did good job showing both the positives and negatives. This one is unfortunately not for me
I am glad that my review was useful for you. Thanks for stopping by 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”