Official Review: Two Trees, A Memoir by Julie Beekman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Two Trees, A Memoir by Julie Beekman

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Two Trees, A Memoir" by Julie Beekman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two Trees: A Memoir by Julie Beekman is the story of the author’s courage and resilience through a tremendously difficult childhood and adolescence, living with her adoptive mother, Marge, and then in a series of foster homes. It is not a book for sensitive readers, as there are many depictions of severe abuse, sexual assault, and heartbreaking cruelties afflicted on a naïve and disadvantaged girl. Despite the horrendous experiences to which Julie was exposed, she continued to rise up time and time again, eventually aging out of the system and building a better life on her own terms.

Before the age of 1, Julie was adopted by Marge and Warren, who had three biological sons. Julie’s earliest memories include Marge’s volatile temper, but it was not until Warren’s death a few years later that the abuse crossed any last boundary of propriety. The memoir relays many specific episodes of shocking cruelty and blatant neglect, yet many years pass by before anyone steps in to intervene on Julie’s behalf. Part of the reason for this is the fact that Marge repeatedly moves the family, often on a whim and in the middle of the night, as soon as she catches wind that her abuse has become public knowledge. Although Julie does eventually confide in a counselor, which gets the ball rolling to get her out from under Marge’s care, her troubles are far from over. She is unable to find a permanent home through the foster system, and stays with a series of families, each with their own unique quirks and problems. Some homes are better than others, yet Julie does not have much of a say in her own placement. Instead, she is often taken advantage-of by those older and more powerful – those who are supposed to be her primary sources of support.

There were many times during the reading of this book that I was appalled at the behavior of the so-called authority-figures. As a young girl lacking in many standard privileges of childhood in America, Julie was incredibly naïve and uninformed, and it appears that those closest to her were often the cause (rather than remedy) of this problem. I marveled at the author’s perseverance, as she continued to hope and do her best to get through each day despite unbelievable circumstances. She was easy to relate-to as a protagonist, not necessarily because our lives had a lot in common, but simply because her humanity shines through vividly in these pages. I have no doubt that what is written in this book is true despite the extremity of some of the events, simply because the emotion behind the words cannot be faked. The author’s voice is authentic and vulnerable, which accounts for the power of the words.

I did find a handful of typographical errors, and some punctuation issues, mainly in the form of missing quotation marks. There were also a couple of points on which the author touched that I had hoped would be expanded-upon (for example, she mentioned having questioned her own sexuality, yet there was no follow-up or resolution to this statement, so it seemed a bit out of place). Nonetheless, I found this memoir a riveting and emotional read. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to adult readers only, due to the graphic and traumatic nature of the events described. Readers who may be particularly interested are those who are seeking knowledge of the foster system, or the psychology of childhood abuse and sexual assault.

Despite the difficult nature of the topic, Julie does find hope, and learns to rely on the people who truly do offer her a refuge from her troubles. Though I wouldn’t say the book has a happy ending, it does end on a lighter note, and acknowledges that one of the ultimate benefits of self-reliance is opportunity. In this opportunity, and in the ability to make choose one’s own path, we find freedom.

Two Trees, A Memoir
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm amazed by how many stories there are like this out there. It's really shocking. It sounds like the author finds strength throughout and perseveres. I'm sure it could be a lesson to many of us out there who are going through tribulations much less than the author went through.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

I am grateful that she survived to tell the story, i applaud the her courage and it is my wish that anyone who has had to go through any form of abuse find perfect peace. Thanks for the review.
HeyJude19
Currently Reading: Mindfulness
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by HeyJude19 »

We have such a broken system and it has been broken for so long. Reading stories like this just shows how strong women can be and how weak we are in not fixing this system. If only we could get a book club going in congress and have them read this story! The review gives a detailed picture of the story and I am glad to have read it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”