Official Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Official Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Non-Disclosure" by George Dapra.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Non-Disclosure by George Dapra is a biography/memoir in which the author gives us an insider’s look into the Witness Security Program based on his own experience. He takes us on a fascinating life journey, from his childhood growing up in a large Italian-American family with immigrant parents to his days as a soldier and as an employee in the world-famous Hotel Plaza. All this will eventually lead us to his days as an inspector of the United States Marshal’s Witness Security Program in New York City at the height of the government’s war against organized crime.

Here, Dapra shares with us some of his numerous experiences in the field during the tumultuous final decades of the twentieth century. These include, among others, the much-publicized Elian Gonzalez case, the John Gotti Trial, and the story behind the conviction of Wadih el-Hage, a former Al-Qaeda member who took part in the 1998 United States embassy bombings. He also describes some of the meetings he had with various mob informants along with other high-value witnesses, proving us with the first sneak peek authorized by the US Department of Justice into the secret government program.

In general terms, the author approaches his book as a behind-the-scenes look of how the WITSEC program works, from its origins to specific details behind some of its procedures. Personally, I enjoyed reading Mr. Dapra's intimate perspective on his relationship with his clients in contrast to the consequences his work life brought to his family. His prose is simple but relatively fluid, although it becomes more technical but still equally enjoyable in some segments where he describes the functioning of the WITSEC system or the history of the Sicilian Mafia. Mr. Dapra also managed to make his work an interesting look at the evolution of the US legal system's struggle against organized crime.

I only have two major complaints with this book. First, considering the author promotes his book around revealing some of the secrets of how WITSEC works, it is not until after the first third of it that he begins to develop this theme, while the most important details are exposed halfway through his work. Of course, one can come to expect a few chapters devoted to his family and personal background, especially if it helps to set a parallel set between the witnesses adapting to their new life and the experiences of his immigrant family in an unfamiliar world. Nevertheless, I believe the author would have benefited from a more focused approach to the dominant theme of his work.

In second place, although I understand the need to preserve certain names and locations to avert unintended consequences regarding the information in this book, bumping into multiple "XXXs" in the same context was a bit confusing at the time of reading. On a few occasions, I found myself rereading certain passages to identify who the author was talking about in the midst of so many unknown identities. Here I leave an example for you to better understand what I mean:
XXX was to testify in SDNY in a narcotics case against XXX. Present at the interview were XXX, XXX, XXX, and XXX, along with an official interpreter. XXX was a very serious and solemn person. His XXX, who could speak English well, explained some of the details of the Program that he did not understand.
Out of this last inconvenience, the editing work, while mostly acceptable, misses a couple of typos and awkward sentences, especially at the time of mixing present and past tenses, which can interrupt to some extent the reading flow at times. However, despite these few drawbacks, the book achieves what it proposes effectively, giving the reader an unprecedented opportunity to know some of the details and curiosities behind the lives of those who end up in the WITSEC program. Therefore, I think I can give this book 3 out of 4 stars without second thoughts. I particularly recommend it to those who want to know more about how the US Marshals operate.

Non-Disclosure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KRay93's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I haven't the faintest clue about WITSEC, and as such this book seems enlightening and intriguing all the same. But I'm afraid I wouldn't enjoy it since you mention the book gets technical later on. Anyway, thank you for your honest review!
Tiffany_A_Baker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tiffany_A_Baker »

Thank you for your detailed review. The plot doesn't fascinate me so I will pass on this one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's interesting. You'd think the author could have used made up names instead of the XXXs. I think that would have made it a bit more readable. Despite that, it does sound like an interesting glimpse into a program most of us don't really get to see. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Although this sounds like an interesting book, I wonder if the details should be offered so freely to the general public.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

the author gives us an insider’s look into the Witness Security Program based on his own experience
Interesting! I wonder how much the author disclosed in this book...
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Interesting review. You've really gone into detail about the book, but I'll skip this one.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds very interesting! Television police series and movies often whisk people away to the WITSEC, and you just assume that they are relocated to a secure location. This book intrigues me as it would be enlightening to know more than that they simply entered the program. Thanks for your compelling review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Is this the same thing as the witness protection program? Although the book sounds very interesting, I have to wonder about the advisability of sharing in-depth and technical information on such a program so freely with the public. Not sure if I'll get into this one, but I might give it a look. Thanks for the intriguing review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”