Official Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Post by Christina O Phillips »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Define Yourself" by Chuck Clifton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever had a situation in your life when you wished you could take back an action? An unkind word? Did you ever react in such a way that, when remembered at a later time, you cringed? In life, there are no do-overs. However, we do have other chances to act differently, but we may need help to do better.

How to Define Yourself: Taking Control of Your Life is a non-fiction book written by Chuck Clifton. At under one hundred pages, it is a short self-help book. Although it is a quick read, it is full of information that could help you change your behavior for the better.

The idea of changing how you respond to a situation sounds simple, but sometimes people need help in making that change. This book is here to walk you through making those changes. The book starts by explaining its purpose and the language that it will use, simple concepts like Defining Yourself and Predefining Yourself. Clifton walks you through specific life situations (smoking, anxiety, speaking with friends, etc.) then suggests a proper and healthier response, then gives the reader a specific example of someone in the situation. Finally, the readers are given experiments to try, actions that will help you to integrate this response process in your life.

This is not a book I would recommend reading in one sitting. While the language is simple and clear so that the reader can understand it, it can feel a bit redundant as the ideas of better responses and actions are somewhat similar across the various situations. This is not necessarily a bad thing as people can learn from repetition, but reading this book in small chunks will make it feel less repetitive and it will also give the reader time to reflect and apply the ideas.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were no grammatical errors, though I did notice a few places where the formatting was inconsistent (no extra spaces between paragraphs or chunks of paragraphs that had an extra indent, for example). But because of the simplicity and redundancy, I could not rate this a four. I think the language could be more varied and I myself did not agree with some of the situations that were presented as problematic. For example, there is one chapter suggesting that booing while watching a sports game is a behavior that should be changed. While I do not think of the behavior as negative as Clifton explains it to be, other readers may agree with his reasoning. However, there are things that can be learned and used to help make positive changes in your daily thoughts and actions. If you like self help books or need to make a change in your life, this book is for you.

How to Define Yourself
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina O Phillips's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I like the book. The title though seems intriguing, but the cover page does not seem inviting. I think the author should use a more captivating cover page. Great review!
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I like that you mention the book is simple therefore easy to understand. This means it would easily appeal to a larger audience. Thanks for the insightful review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

self help books are always helpful when a lot of research is done and the author shares some personal experiences, that way some readers can relate and it makes it more practical. thanks for the review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The opening paragraph of your review sells the book. I think everyone would love to have a do-over at some point in life!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has some valuable techniques to offer. The experiments would be helpful. This might be a good book for a youth group study. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think we could all use help changing actions. I know I could. This book is intriguing to me. I like that the author gives specific ways to change. I'll look this up. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tiffany_A_Baker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tiffany_A_Baker »

Wow, I think I need to read this book! Thank you for your review, I will give it a try!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a nice book. Thanks for the reply. Indeed, there are times when we wish to undo some things we have done or words we have spoken. I would like to read this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
HeyJude19
Currently Reading: Mindfulness
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by HeyJude19 »

I appreciate a well-written opening paragraph and this review meets that qualification. I want to read the book after reading about what it is about, and I appreciate the advice to read it in segments. I think small moves in change are more likely to become permanent ones.
DALINTON
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by DALINTON »

I love this book because it goes a long way to help out some bad habits in life . But I think the cover of the book should be more attractive as per the content.
clancy8
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy8.html
Latest Review: A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Post by clancy8 »

such a lovely book title, but not a really good cover. A book about a hundred page teaching you specific ways which could change your for good makes the book intriguing except for the book cover.
insightful review I must say with a beautiful opening paragraph.
nice review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I like any book that encourages us to use past mistakes as learning experiences. It sounds like this one is simple to understand and has a good message for righting past wrongs. Thanks for the thorough review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A self-help book that helps us to change, improve our lives, and make better choices sounds useful. It is good that the book contains specific life situations and specific examples. A pity some of the situations were not good examples. Hopefully, the formatting issues were fixed by now. Not for me, but I am glad you found it helpful despite the issues you mentioned. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I like that this is a self-help book that forces readers to think about certain situations and how they react to them. The book isn't about making big changes all at once, rather little changes to behavior. Thanks for the wonderful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”