Official Review: New Jump Swing Healthy Aging and Athleti...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: New Jump Swing Healthy Aging and Athleti...

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New Jump Swing Healthy Aging and Athletic Nutiriton program" by Donald Spiderman Thomas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone wants to stay healthy, as good health is central to handling stress and living a long and active life. Health is defined as a state of complete emotional and physical well-being. Different factors, like genetics, environment, diet, and exercise, determine an individual's health. In New Jump Swing Healthy Aging and Athletic Nutrition Program, Donald "Spiderman" Thomas offers diet and exercise programs inspired by Bruce Lee and the Tao of Jeet Kune Do following over 39 years of research. Spanning over 200 pages, Donald gives us detailed information on the relationship between diet and exercise and diseases, like cancer, hypercholesterolemia, diabetes, anemia, and Alzheimer's among others.

As a pharmacist, any book that explores living a healthy lifestyle always piques my interest, which made picking up this book to read a no-brainer. The author includes the fact that he holds three Guinness World records, which he owes to following his program, to help readers trust and understand the efficacy of his methods. His inclusion of a letter from the American Heart Association endorsing his program also helps to improve the reader's trust.

The author's program is heavily backed by research and includes information from renowned scientists supporting his methods. I like that despite the author's thorough job on this book, he goes further to include the titles of supplementary books to read for more information. Donald also stresses the importance of the information he presents by giving us statistics on how different dietary habits affect different races and civilizations.

There is so much to learn from this program, including the author's teachings on how to detect low body fat, the different products of beehives and their benefits, different herbs and fibres and their benefits, the use of plants for Alzheimer's, the appropriate proportions of nutrients in a balanced diet, achieving ambidexterity through exercising, and the effects of temperature on food and how that affects the body. I agree with most of the information in his program, but I am still undecided on his views about meat putrefaction, as I feel that putrefaction can be prevented, and eating meat has its benefits. I also like how the author debunks several misconceptions about vegetarians, like how they are physically weaker than meat eaters and lack key nutrients.

Furthermore, the book starts out a bit slow and boring. It initially felt like I was reading a regular textbook that contained health information, as there wasn't much to relate to. As I read further, the author included stories about himself, how he had a bone disease as a kid, how he got the name "Spiderman", his motivation for beating world records, and how he was influenced by Bruce Lee, which made the book interesting for me.

I found New Jump Swing Healthy Aging and Athletic Nutrition Program very informative. It has also influenced me to make some dietary changes. It contains illustrations showing how various techniques of rope swinging should be carried out. The book is written in a clear language and is easy to understand. However, the book contains a few medical terms, like Pernicious anemia, macular degeneration, megaloblastic anemia, and sublingual, which may seem strange to some readers, but Google will suffice in such cases.

There wasn't much to dislike about this book. It was also well edited, as I noticed only four errors throughout the book. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the execution of the book is very good. The complaints I listed above are not sufficient to prevent me from giving the book a maximum rating. I would recommend this book to people interested in improving their health. I would not recommend it to those looking for an easy route to better health, as a lot of work has to be put into adhering to this program. In the author's words, "personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle will always be the best health insurance policy a person can obtain."

New Jump Swing Healthy Aging and Athletic Nutiriton program
View: on Bookshelves

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I love your review it's very detailed and informative. At first, I really wanted to read this book because I want to improve my lifestyle and start having healthy habits, but I guess this book gives you very strict pieces of advice. However, reading that you are interested in books like this one, could you recommend one for me?
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Casper1622
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Casper1622 »

One of the most important things about books like this is how well the reader can trust it. I’m happy to know that this is one of the books I can trust its methods. I’ll love to read this. Thank you for a well detailed review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The title of the book seems quite long and a bit overwhelming. Nonetheless, I am very interested in all of the topics mentioned in your review. Having an endorsement from the AHA certainly helps solidify trust in the information the author offers in this book. Having deciding to venture toward veganism myself earlier in the month, I am interested in reading what the author has to say about the meat putrefaction. I like that the book encouraged you to make some positive changes in your own lifestyle as well!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 07:45 I love your review it's very detailed and informative. At first, I really wanted to read this book because I want to improve my lifestyle and start having healthy habits, but I guess this book gives you very strict pieces of advice. However, reading that you are interested in books like this one, could you recommend one for me?
Food to Live By by Myra Goodman is definitely another good book about healthy dieting. You could learn a thing or two from it. I'm happy you enjoyed the review.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

prospero360 wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 18:00
Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 07:45 I love your review it's very detailed and informative. At first, I really wanted to read this book because I want to improve my lifestyle and start having healthy habits, but I guess this book gives you very strict pieces of advice. However, reading that you are interested in books like this one, could you recommend one for me?
Food to Live By by Myra Goodman is definitely another good book about healthy dieting. You could learn a thing or two from it. I'm happy you enjoyed the review.
Oh, great I'll give it a go, thank you for your recommendation.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your informative review. I am curious as to why the author wants readers to be ambidextrous. I like that the author includes both exercise and diet information. Thanks for the great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I am interested in what the author has to say. I am always trying to be more healthy. It's a book I'd probably scan through, not really read. I'll consider it next time I'm looking for something to help me be healthier. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I am not a very athletic person though I try watching what I eat. I find the advice offered in the book to be amazing especially if it can keep you from getting the above named medical conditions.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

As someone that doesn't play with his health, I'll find this book very useful. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Casper1622
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Casper1622 »

This is definitely a book everyone should read, and I completely agree with the author’s saying that “personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle will always be the best health insurance policy a person can obtain.” This is a very helpful review. Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”