Official Review: I Dont Live There Anymore by Angie Morrow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: I Dont Live There Anymore by Angie Morrow

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Dont Live There Anymore" by Angie Morrow.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Don’t Live There Anymore is a painful recount of Angie Morrow’s career journey before she found a rewarding position.

In 1999, Morrow graduated with a business degree with a major in Aviation Management. As an African American woman, she was determined to make her dreams come true. She had relentlessly worked hard for her education and now, she was closer to achieving her dreams than she had ever been before. She was not ready for what was to follow. At the start of her career she was laid off from a job she had loved and from there, everything started to go wrong. For years she would live through the devastation of working any job she could find to survive, getting evicted, living in a shelter and struggling to meet basic needs. Still, her faith was steadfast and she never gave up.

Morrow’s story is heart-breaking as well as encouraging. It proves that dreams can be achieved if we do not give up. I liked Morrow’s tenacity. Even when things did not go as she had hoped, she still held on to her faith. Her story is nothing but inspirational especially to people struggling to kick-start their careers.

The book also points to our unwillingness to help each other in times of need. Most of the episodes included would have been easier if those who were around the author were willing to offer even just minimal help. This reveals the superficial nature of friendships in the modern world where the prevalent culture encourages competition without any space for kindness and compassion.

The language and the style of writing are straight forward and the language is accessible to any reader. I also appreciated that the author kept her story at the center of the plot and only details that help develop the storyline are included. This made the memoir an easy read. In the case of grammar, I only identified one error which shows that professional editing was done.

Though the book is brief, it comes with a powerful lesson, an encouragement to keep fighting for your place and not to lose hope. I Don’t Live There Anymore by Angie Morrow is suitable for readers who are struggling in their careers as they look for the right opportunity. Overall, the message is suitable for all readers as the topic discussed is common in our modern society. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

I Dont Live There Anymore
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very interesting story; I see a lot that I would probably be able to relate to. In times of hardship, you definitely learn who your friends are and what you're made of. I would like to see how the author overcame everything. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I love the cover. The premise seems as if it would be easy to relate to for most readers. I look forward to reading about Angie's story of sorrow and victory!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Charlotte_Shi
Currently Reading: In Lucia's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-shi.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Charlotte_Shi »

I've enjoyed your review, and I think that I would enjoy this complex story. The author must have been bitterly disappointed in her 'friends'...I admire her strength. Many real-life stories and events remind us how valuable firm friendships are in life.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I like the way the cover was designed. The story line is fascinating as it applies to what our current generation is passing through. I precise review! I will definitely read this book.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really like the title of this book. It reflects Angie's attitude of never giving up. I liked your review and think this would be a very motivating story. This type of book lifts up other people. Thanks.
RedPoppyFlower
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RedPoppyFlower »

The strength of the heroine is truly admirable. Through her own ability she didn't give up her dreams and she fight it all through and through.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This already sounds like a beautiful story. It is a pleasure when people are bold enough to share their life experiences, failures and wins that way, hope is always kept alive. Great review.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The world we live in is disappointingly nothing short of competitive. This has made trusting people a serious issue. It never hurts to lend a hand to a friend in need. Funny how during our times of trials its strangers and not friends who come through for us. I love the inspirational theme in the book. I will give it a try. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”