Official Review: Big Things Have Small by Wes Berry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Big Things Have Small by Wes Berry

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Big Things Have Small" by Wes Berry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wes Berry is a business expert who turned his family’s flower business into the Wesley Berry Flowers multi-million-dollar company. Most people intend on achieving success by focusing on the big stuff, like becoming rich and famous. In Big Things Have Small Beginnings, Berry offers a new approach to achieving success. He points out: “I’m here to tell you that, when you take care of the little stuff, the big stuff has a real nice way of taking care of itself.”

This book is perfect for people in leadership positions and business. Berry’s conversational writing style makes the readers feel like they are listening to advice from a friend who wants the best for them. His guidance is for individuals who acknowledge that success is the result of creative thinking, attention to detail, listening skills, hard work, and grit. His advice is not for persons who want shortcuts to success or those who like giving excuses. He focuses on the process rather than on the end game.

As a real estate owner, I chose to read this book because I thought that Berry’s advice could be useful. Berry helps the readers identify traits in prospective employees that could take their businesses to the next level. He calls them the traits of a Rowan. Interestingly, he came up with these traits after reading Elbert Hubbard’s famous essay titled A Message to Garcia. Hubbard wrote it in honor of Andrew Summers Rowan, an American Army officer who managed to take a message from President McKinley to General Garcia in Cuba during the Spanish-American War.

Besides helping the readers identify desirable traits in prospective employees, Berry gives practical advice on how people who want to be successful need to behave. A person who most likely will achieve success has the right kind of ambition and thinks about failure as a learning experience. My favorite advice on this matter was that the author believes in the power of creative solutions and positive thinking. I also liked his ideas about vision boards and adaptability to the current times.

Reading Big Things Have Small Beginnings by Wes Berry was a great way to start the new year. I will use his advice to identify valuable traits in my property managers. I think this book is ideal for people in leadership positions and business, but the author’s suggestions can be used in everyday life too. Also, John Dzwonkowski did an excellent job editing this book. Without a doubt, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Big Things Have Small
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm just self-helped out right now. I have no doubt that this is a good book, and Mr. Berry has much to share with us. He certainly came from humble means and made something great. Still, I just don't think I can do this now. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tiffany_A_Baker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tiffany_A_Baker »

I've read many books from people who succeed in life and decided to tell you what they did right. It's good to see that someone mentions "hardwork". Thank you for your review.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

The title of the book is straightforward and true. it is truly an honour when people who have made it in the business world say it wasn't always a bed of roses. Great review
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

It would behoove business owners to hand this book out to their employees! Well, maybe their favorite ones anyway...
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

The main theme sounds great. I am getting a non-profit up and running right now, and this could be useful.
Maelo1
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maelo1.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Maelo1 »

Great review I,ll have to have the book on my shelf, am interested
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

i guess this book will be an eye-opener and inspiration to us who aims for financial stability.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the idea the author emphasizes of starting with the small stuff. He gives so much advice that comes from his own experience. This book sounds like it would be very motivating. I enjoyed your writing. Thanks.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 13:43 I'm just self-helped out right now. I have no doubt that this is a good book, and Mr. Berry has much to share with us. He certainly came from humble means and made something great. Still, I just don't think I can do this now. Thanks.
I share the sentiment as a just read a review about a furniture business that became successful, but it is too much self-help for me at the moment. Thanks for reading and commenting!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Words Matter

Post by Words Matter »

What matters is how you choose to deal with whatever issues come your way in life, if you fall, then you were weak, and need to get back up again, if you overcome, then you become stronger, so the next time you face it, you have no need to fear of falling to it again.
Sabena Lemoine

Post by Sabena Lemoine »

This book gives inspiration on how to handle business, when you start a small business if you take care of it and you have motivation how to grow up and make it successful turns into big one.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A self-help book advising how to build up business sounds useful, but it isn't relevant to me. It is impressive that the author turned his family’s flower business into a $60 million-dollar international business. I am glad you found it useful. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Han26+
Currently Reading: The DC Comics Encyclopedia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han26.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Han26+ »

A book about how to become successful using small means is the sort of thing I might need to read, advice-wise, seeing as I myself am bringing myself up by my own bootstraps. This is going on my to read list.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a non-fiction book about business, management, leadership, and success. The book gives amazing advice that I took to heart. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and this was an amazingly well-written review that represents this book perfectly.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”