Official Review: Separation from the World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Separation from the World

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Separation from the World" by Ronald C. Jantz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Separation from the World by Ronald C. Jantz is an enlightening discussion of the conservative Mennonites’ history, core beliefs that have set them apart from the rest of the world and their key historical figures. At the beginning of the 16th Century, the conservative Mennonites community was born. The group derived its name from its leader, Menno Simons, who had abandoned his Catholic faith and joined the Dutch Anabaptists. The Mennonites were to face a lot of persecution across Europe especially for their belief in non-resistance. Other key pillars of the movement are non-conformity and adult baptism.

A wonderful feature of the book that I appreciated is the effort that has been put into researching the Mennonites’ history which includes their way of dealing with oppression. Their unique ways sparked controversy with different rulers in Europe which resulted in persecution. They left Holland for Prussia due to growing intolerance. During the reign of Frederick William II, they were forced to move to Russia following oppressive regulations. In Russia, forced military service made many Mennonites leave the region for the United States and Canada. Those who remained faced Stalin’s persecution.

The author goes further to provide a bibliography after each chapter that provides a list of his sources which can be used for further research. In the latter part of the book, the author also traces the Mennonites’ lineage all the way from the 16th Century and in addition, he discusses modern day challenges that the group faces.

I also appreciated the inclusion of maps, photos, paintings and drawings which represent the information contained. These were a useful addition as they helped me understand the content better. They also clarified the details within the book.

I did not like that the book is organized by topic and not by a chronological order which made reading and grasping facts harder. The book is also repetitive in some places.

In terms of grammar, Separation from the World by Ronald C. Jantz contains close to no errors. I only identified one. Overall, it is an informative read as it shines light into the fortitude of a people who have held on to their beliefs for over four hundred years. It will prove to be a wonderful book for readers interested in historical accounts especially those pertaining to religion. Readers who are not fans of historical accounts may not enjoy this book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Separation from the World
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

It sounds like the author really did his homework before writing the book. I always love reading a review containing such high praise for a successfully created piece.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Sounds like a well-researched book with a lot of historical descriptions. I also like books with maps, photos, and other visual content. I enjoyed reading your review, it was interesting.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Great review. The author seems to have really done great research. I'll skip on this one though, not my genre.
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

This sounds interesting. As I know nothing about Mennonites, this could be a good read. Thank you.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book interests me. There is a large community of Mennonites in Bolivia. I am very interested in learning about their beliefs and way of life. Thanks for your excellent review.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

I appreciate the amount of work and research that went into this book,, your review is also very detail and precise. Thank you for the lovely review but i will be skipping this one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I am curious about the Mennonites and how they differ from the Amish. Still, I'm not sure I an interested enough to read a whole book about it. I do kind of agree that it would be better organized by date rather than topic.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

This is genuinely the first time am hearing about Mennonites. It will be interesting to learn about their culture. I may just give this a try.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”