Official Review: Rideshares, Wrecks, and Sex

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Official Review: Rideshares, Wrecks, and Sex

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rideshares, Wrecks, and Sex" by Joe F. N. Schmo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rideshares, Wrecks, and Sex; Confessions of a Convicted Uber Driver by Joe F. N. Schmo is a recollection of some of the author’s actual and most memorable encounters and conversations with his clientele, put within the context of fiction. Schmo’s experiences take place in the Phoenix area in Arizona, during his one-year covert work as an Uber driver while on probation. Why he was on probation is to be found while reading the book!

I must admit that I was intrigued by the title of the book and by the premise that I got from the synopsis. Rideshares, Wrecks, and Sex is divided into 38 chapters, each covering a short story, and spanning three main territories, as the title implies. The clientele’s stories come as a natural response to their query about Schmo’s craziest story while on the job. Schmo’s book lives up to the title, for it touches on a wide range of topics like alcohol, partying, prostitution, drugs, swinging, and breaking the law!

The author uses the first person narrative to deliver his stories in a clear, concise, and humorous writing style. He does not shy away from expressing his sexual thoughts candidly. You can, therefore, anticipate foul language and profanity.

However, it is not to be understood that the book is superficial. The explicit content and the humor do not take away from the pieces of wisdom intertwined within the text. Schmo says, “Psychology is strange. It’s always easier to point a finger at someone that we hardly know, make a simple observation, and issue an accurate assessment. Meanwhile, it’s nearly impossible to critique ourselves from an objective viewpoint.”

On a related note, Schmo’s customers are diverse and come from all walks of life. Particularly amusing were the arguments between Schwartz and Vito. These opposing twins are two imaginary characters that talk to Joe and admonish him. They could as well represent his inner dialogue, his conscience, or his instincts. They add such a light heart and wit to the dialogue.

I was enthralled by the prose and the dialogue which cultivate the readers’ inner sarcasm. Here’s a sneak peek, “Then, Hank notices my Uber phone. He curses, snags it from its cradle, and hurls it out of the window. I swear I can hear Siri screaming, ‘NOOOOO!’”

Furthermore, I reveled in the description of downtown Scottsdale, Arizona. It felt like a riveting tour. Schmo also provided an interesting insider’s look into Arizona’s driving and drinking regulations.

Hard-pressed to state what I liked the least, I would choose the swinging details, which were at certain instances a bit too much for my taste. However, to do Schmo justice, he had issued a clear warning to readers who are squeamish to the details of swinging to skip chapters 27 through 30 and resume at chapter 31, without having the flow of reading or the events affected.

I enjoyed this book immensely, and I found it fast-paced, entertaining as well as thought-provoking.

Unfortunately, the seventeen mistakes I came across throughout the book, keep me from giving it the maximum score. These were predominantly spelling and grammatical errors. Thus, it is with a heavy heart that I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. A polishing round of proofreading and editing would notch it up to the perfect score.

I think Rideshares, Wrecks, and Sex would appeal to readers who appreciate an unconventional and a candid read. I also recommend it to those who appreciate an adventurous and humorous content. This, however, comes with a clear warning and exclusivity for a mature audience. If you’re offended by intimate details and foul language, you’d better steer clear of this one.

On a final note, who would’ve thought that some of the deepest conversations and the most authentic self-reflection could take place while “Ubering” and between strangers? Joe F. N. Schmo obviously did!

Rideshares, Wrecks, and Sex
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ruba Abu Ali's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I adore books about people's experiences in the profession, and I almost picked this when I saw it on the list, but then I saw something that I liked even more. I'm glad it is a good read, though, and will look for an opportunity to enjoy it.
Ruba Abu Ali
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

MsTri wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 12:04 I adore books about people's experiences in the profession, and I almost picked this when I saw it on the list, but then I saw something that I liked even more. I'm glad it is a good read, though, and will look for an opportunity to enjoy it.
I hope you get a chance to read it. It wont disappoint! Thanks for dropping by and for the comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can only imagine what Uber drivers come in contact with. I'm kind of surprised, though, that they let someone drive who is out on parole. This would probably be too graphic for me, so I'll pass. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 09:26 I can only imagine what Uber drivers come in contact with. I'm kind of surprised, though, that they let someone drive who is out on parole. This would probably be too graphic for me, so I'll pass. Thanks, though.
He was a covert Uber driver. Thanks for dropping by and for the comment.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

This feels a little too graphic for me. It sounds like the uber driver had quite the adventure though. Sadly, I'll have to pass this one. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Faithmwangi wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 07:21 This feels a little too graphic for me. It sounds like the uber driver had quite the adventure though. Sadly, I'll have to pass this one. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for passing by and for the comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”