Official Review: Something Happened Today by Paul E. Kotz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Official Review: Something Happened Today by Paul E. Kotz

Post by Quinto »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something Happened Today" by Paul E. Kotz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something Happened Today: A Collection of the Unexpected by Paul E. Kotz was inspired by Kotz’s desire to leave something inspiring for his daughters to read. Indeed, the title itself is a suggestion to look for a miracle every day. The collection is drawn from personal experiences. The stories, eighty in number, have been categorized into the following headlines: “Everyday Gifts,” “Everyday Life,” “Growing Up,” “Kindness,” “Society Today,” “Mentoring,” “Unexpected Surprises” and “Advice and Perspectives.”

Under the headline “Advice and Perspectives,” “What Brings You Happiness?” is an insightful look at the ingredients of happiness. Kotz promptly notes that it is the little things that seem to make him contented, like the sunshine in his face while walking around a lake, or the morning drive while listening to that special song that sparks a memory. In a more reflective manner, though, he learned a great deal from Buettner, who traveled the world in search of the keys to happiness. According to Buettner, there are six areas that we should focus on that lead to ultimate happiness: home, self, financial life, social life, workplace, and community. Other must-read stories in Kotz’s book include: “The Power of Encouragement,” “Actions Speak Louder than Words,” “Making mistakes is Okay” and “Pick Others Up.”

Kotz’s blend of philosophical insights are realistic, persuasive, unwavering, and refreshing. He’s managed to create content that brims with his personality. A personality that’s, to a greater part, been influenced by his long experience in the teaching profession. As an illustration, the story “Each Day is Precious,” focuses on the events of 9/11/2001. As he recalls, and while teaching, the news of an airplane hitting the World Trade Center was shocking to his class. At that moment, and remembering his teenage years, he would reflect on what possibly could be going on in his students’ minds, considering that keeping calm and patient is quite a chore in itself. As he would later say, “This day changed me,” hence were innumerable more throughout the world.

Kotz’s tone is animated, appreciative, humorous and inspirational. Furthermore, his series of stories, narrated in rapid succession, makes the book fast-paced and fun to read. There is hardly time to be bogged down by complex actions or lengthy descriptions. As a matter of fact, Kotz thinks the book’s brevity is one of its strengths, and I agree. Besides, as he discovered in the story “Funeral Talk in the Hot Tub,” “People are dying to talk to you!” To impart useful knowledge that they have gained over the years.

Pragmatism permeates every page of this book. This is important because Kotz’s positive experiences have on occasion been possible in view of the help he has drawn from others. He admits that countless people have put him back on the path when he got lost. Consequently, even the editing seems to be professionally done. I only came across two non-distracting errors – a missing comma and a misplaced period. Plus, one case of a wrongly used word in a sentence.

I recommend the book to anyone who needs encouragement in life, as is often the case with the best of us from time to time. The book can also make an excellent gift to a friend or a relative. Conversely, maybe only a proud person will find it unsuitable to them. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars as it didn’t come short in any of the assessed parameters.

Something Happened Today
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Quinto's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

The series of stories, narrated in rapid succession as you explained made the book intriguing to me. Great review!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Anthony__ wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 20:41 The series of stories, narrated in rapid succession as you explained made the book intriguing to me. Great review!
Thanks, Anthony for your kind comments.
Wezi Nyirenda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wezi Nyirenda »

This review makes me feel like buying the book right away. It is an excellent review in my opinion.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Wezi Nyirenda wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 05:26 This review makes me feel like buying the book right away. It is an excellent review in my opinion.
Thanks, Wezi Nyirenda for your kind comments.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I admire the author for wanting to leave something behind for his daughters. It's nice, as well, that we can benefit from it. I could always use a bit of encouragement in my life. I'll have to put this one my list. Thanks for the fabulous review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 08:42 I admire the author for wanting to leave something behind for his daughters. It's nice, as well, that we can benefit from it. I could always use a bit of encouragement in my life. I'll have to put this one my list. Thanks for the fabulous review.
Thanks, kandscreeley for your kind comments. Yes, the inspiration written about by the author is contagious.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I like the your review and how you bring out the inspiring aspects of the book. I'll put it in my to read list.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

The reason behind the writing of this book is heartwarming and one can feel that the author poured his heart into it. It is definitely ok to make mistakes and learn from them as that is an amazing way to grow in life. Great review.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Thanks for the review it was very clear, honest and insightful. I appreciate the fact that the author took the time to ensure others were encouraged by his words. I look forward to this read.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A self-help book that takes a look at the ingredients of happiness sounds inspiring! It is nice that the book contains a collection of stories from taken from the author's own experiences. Adding Pragmatism to the mix makes it valuable sell-help book for fans of the genre. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
langenbrat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-langenbrat.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by langenbrat »

I was disappointed that the free sample doesn't include any of the actual book, but rather reviews of the book and the acknowledgements. I was looking forward to reading a bit and seeing the author's style, because it looked like the kind of book I would really enjoy.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Im into feel good book that boosts one's attitude towards life. Like theses stories that show how a little compassion and care can change a mood from bad to wonderful. Thanks for this.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This book reminds me of other titles that I have read through the online book club. It sounds like his aim is to get his readers to be aware of the present moment and take in the simple things in life. Great idea about giving this away as a gift! Thanks for this insightful review. The sample pages gave nothing as far as what even one story was like. So thank you for sharing this information.
Everything happens for a reason...
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I have downloaded it on kindle unlimited. The cover is attractive and the content is all about positive thinking. I hope to read a few pages every day, to refresh my mind.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”