Official Review: TheLittleBook of Dental Questions

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: TheLittleBook of Dental Questions

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "TheLittleBook of Dental Questions" by Marcia Mawae.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In many ways, I still haven't matured from my five-year-old self. For instance, I am on a seemingly never-ending quest for knowledge, always asking, "But why" or "How" or "What about?" As a result, I am quite overjoyed that I spotted The Little Book of Dental Questions: (for scaredycats and others) by Marcia Mawae.

A dental hygienist, Ms. Mawae filled her book with interesting questions and answers, many of them pertaining to things that we've all wondered about at one time or another. One such query was, "What is the difference between plaque and tartar?" The author also answered questions based on the personal worries of patients, such as "What is this brown spot on my tooth?"

There are no chapter headings, but the tome seems to follow a logical pattern, starting with general dental questions, which are then followed by personal concerns. The questions are referenced by page number in the table of contents, so it's easy to find a particular inquiry. I prefer the section pertaining to facts, and my favorite piece of advice is to always close the toilet lid before flushing since bacteria from the commode can travel as far as 10 feet, thereby ending up on one's toothbrush or anything else within that range. I also really like the question about what to do when one has holes in one's mouth from missing teeth. About two years ago, I had two teeth pulled and may need a third one extracted soon, so I'm still trying to figure out how best to have those pockets filled. Thanks to Ms. Mawae, I now have plenty of food for thought. One of my favorite things in the book is the author's recommendation that the reader check with their personal dentist on specific problems, as this book wasn't written to answer any and all questions and issues that may arise in one's dental experience. Additionally, I feel that the author's emphasis on one's dental condition having an effect on one's overall health is a helpful point. I also like that Ms. Mawae explains the dental jargon that she uses, keeping laypersons from getting confused. At the end of the book is a glossary, which is a handy tool as well.

The information was given in a very factual tone, yet I never felt as if Marcia was ordering me around or preaching at me. One other thing that I found out in the introduction was that the author is a Christian. Each answer was followed by an appropriate Bible verse - for instance, "My Christian faith tells me, 'Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit,'" followed a section on how to properly brush one's teeth - and I really liked the tie-in. I didn't feel like these inclusions would annoy readers who are not Christians either.

Unfortunately, The Little Book of Dental Questions needs another round of editing. While none of the grammatical errors are egregious, there are still too many for a book of its length. The biggest problems are singular words that should be plural and extra words. In addition, there is one instance of awkward phrasing. Due to the typographical errors, I must give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Overall, I am very pleased with this book and find that it added to my storehouse of knowledge. If I ever go on Jeopardy and am faced with a category based on dental facts, I'll have Ms. Mawae to thank when I run the board. In addition to potential game show contestants, I highly recommend this book for people who are considering dentistry as a profession, patients who are frightened by visits to dentists, and parents of young children who are concerned about dental hygiene.

TheLittleBook of Dental Questions
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

So it seems that this isn't necessarily targeted to every child, but it's more for those who want even more knowledge. For those purposes, it would be informative. I am scared dentists and don't really care to know more. Therefore, I'll skip this one. Thanks for all the information though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Knowledge provides power to better understand our world. I'm one who avoids the dentist's office however possible. Based on your great review, I will be able to have a better understanding of teeth.
:techie-studyingbrown:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

To say I dread dentists is an understatement, to say the least. I recently visited a dentist office and am one tooth short. I like that the book is informative however I won't be following upon on it.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
hala-elnagy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hala-elnagy.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by hala-elnagy »

The Little Book of Dental Questions is an informative and helpful book contains an interesting questions and its answers. I really like this book and find that it added to my knowledge about dental hygiene, especially, for children.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What an informative and pleasant book to read! Very useful in dental offices and households. Thanks for the candid and thorough review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book sounds like it would be a great book for myself and my kids. I have had quite a few dental issues in the last few years and I would have loved to have something like this to refer too! It is too bad about the editing, though!
Great review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A self-help book that gives about dental hygiene sounds informative. It is good that the author, a dental hygienist, explains her dental jargon. The tie-in between faith and answers is original. Too bad about the lack of editing. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I've never been to the dentists in my life and this was a great informative book for me.
MeggyRed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MeggyRed »

I am not one to just head to my local dentist at every toothache. But I do agree that your teeth are precious and you should treat then as so. I loved how the book gave you the feel of a conversation. The author never orders you with things like "You have to floss or else" she uses a simple gentle like tone. It definitely bring peace to me as I read and as she explains all the questions we can't ask in person.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In many ways, I still haven't matured from my five-year-old self. For instance, I am on a seemingly never-ending quest for knowledge, always asking, "But why" or "How" or "What about?" As a result, I am quite overjoyed that I spotted The Little Book of Dental Questions: (for scaredycats and others) by Marcia Mawae.
I can totally relate to this. I never got over the asking -constant- questions phase!
This seems like a very useful book. I recently learned the fact you mention about closing the toilet lid and I'm sure there are a ton of other facts we should all know to take better care of our dental health.
I hope the book gets a better edition further along the line.
Thanks!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a must-read to everyone seeking for knowledge in this field. I guess, this book has all the necessary information for those who are afraid to go to the dentist (well, me among them) :) Really sorry about the typographical errors, though. Thank you for the great review!
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

This book answers most dental questions. If you neglect your teeth, your whole body can be affected. This is a good book to have handy to use as a reference. Congratulations to the author for being chosen as BOTD. Thanks to the reviewer for your excellent review.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

"TheLittleBook of Dental Questions" by Marcia Mawae is quite informative and knowledge-full. I think I will keep this book for me and my kids. Kudos! :tiphat:
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

This is a handy book to use as a reference. The author has decades of experience in the dental field and explains things in an informative and thoughtful way. I think it might be helpful for my daughter, who has dental anxiety. Thank you for your informative review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”