Official Review: A Lost Child by Rony Joseph

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: A Lost Child by Rony Joseph

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Lost Child" by Rony Joseph.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where did the society go wrong in providing the much-needed guidance that children require? Why are many young adults resulting in mass killings or suicide as their last resort to their hopeless situations? Is there hope for a well-knit society in the future? Rony Joseph, after keenly observing a group of emotionally and psychologically needy children, wrote A Lost Child.

The book consists of six chapters. In every chapter, Rony gives a detailed account of an aspect that he believes plays a fundamental role in the upbringing of children in today’s highly polarized society. The book gives the author’s point of view regarding the state of parenting in the 21st century.

Every child that is born into the world has a specific purpose that he/she ought to serve. The first chapter of the book gives an overview of the purpose of a child. The subsequent chapters focus on the various entities that should ensure that a child serves his/her purpose. They include parents, schools, the federal government (the author has focused on the USA), and the society.

I liked the author’s realistic approach towards the issue at hand. He did not blame anyone in particular for the failure of many children in America. He noted that the raising of a functional and stable generation is a collective responsibility of everyone in the society. I could not agree more.

The author supported his points with good examples. For instance, he gave an example of Seung-Hui Cho who killed 32 students in the Virginia Tech shooting. Rony believes that if everyone had given Cho all the attention that he required, without any form of stigmatization due to his psychological issues, the mass murder could have been avoided. Cho’s college roommate had raised an alarm to the college authorities that Cho was possibly suicidal. However, it seems that they only gave him some ‘superficial’ help without a thorough follow up.

Rony stated in the book that he works as a chauffeur for a company where his primary job is to carry students to and from school each day. I expected to read more about the behavioral patterns that the children exhibit since he interacts with them daily. However, that was not the case. I believe such information would have added more flesh to the book. For instance, I once boarded a bus where I had an encounter with three high school students. They were discussing how they had managed to hide their drinking habits from their parents for many years. I couldn’t help but listen to their conversation. I am sure that, as a chauffeur, the author must have had similar experiences.

The book seemed to have been professionally edited. I only noted one error. I have read many books, and the authors always write their names in the first pages of their book. To my surprise, Rony did not write his name in the copy of the book that I had. I believe his name should be included in the book. Overall, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. I liked many aspects of the book. However, I still felt that adding examples from the children he interacted with would make the book great. Parents will benefit most from reading the book. It is an eye-opener about raising emotionally and psychologically stable children. Well, if you are looking for a thriller or an action-packed book, this is not a book for you.

A Lost Child
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I think this is a subject that needs to be addressed, and I'd be curious to see what the author has to say, especially his solutions. Even without the examples, it sounds like a book worth reading. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Missy kuckkan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missy-kuckkan.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Missy kuckkan »

It sounds like an interesting perspective. I am curious about the children the author observed as a chauffeur; were they all from upper middle class homes and does this affect his conclusions.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Such an interesting and important topic! I agree with you, the problem is most certainly multifactorial and all of these factors should be analyzed and addressed. I find very interesting that the author interacts with these kids every day and I agree that his experiences would have enriched the book very much.
A great review, thank you!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It's so sad to see how children have wondered off on the wrong path while parents think money is important. I blame this society for making people run after money, for making the standard of living hard, and for the political and economical wars which includes people who don't wish to be a part of it. No wonder the world goes toward the negative, and I could agree more with the author's opinion toward the society. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

This book is not my cup of tea. I dont like this kind of genre of books still i found your review is nice . Thanks for the review.
---
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 951
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Angel of Hoheneck by Ivan Fredrikson

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I liked the author’s realistic approach towards the issue at hand. He did not blame anyone in particular for the failure of many children in America. He noted that the raising of a functional and stable generation is a collective responsibility of everyone in the society. I could not agree more.
I agree with this approach as well. This should be the mind-set to address the problem at hand.

Thank you for the great review.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This is a very important issues that needs to be addressed and i also agree with the fact that it has to be addressed by joint effort, there has to be consistency in dispensing the guidance that children need. Great review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

He noted that the raising of a functional and stable generation is a collective responsibility of everyone in the society
A ripple can affect the whole body of water. We are all connected. It's easier said than done, but it's best not to be the cause of another's grief. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I believe good parenting skills are an age-old challenge. I recently read and reviewed First Family, in which the first couple grappled with this. I like your take on the issue. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

We really need to read this kind of novels. To make us more careful about what are we doing with our lives this is the best choice. It can change thoughts.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”