Official Review: The Resurrection: Life After the Death o...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Resurrection: Life After the Death o...

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Resurrection: Life After the Death of your Child" by Latisa Be.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Resurrection: Life after the Death of your Child by Latisa Be is an uplifting non-fiction book that seeks to instill hope to a parent who has experienced the loss of a child.

On December 26, 1991, Latisa Be’s son, Errol Meeks, was born. Meeks grew up to be a loving and friendly young man. At the young age of nineteen, Meeks lost his life through an unfortunate turn of events when the man he had saved moments before turned on him. The shocking news of her son’s death quickly plunged Latisa Be into a state of shock. This would be the beginning of a very difficult journey. The amazing lessons she would learn along the way have helped many in similar circumstances and they are included in the book.

I loved reading The Resurrection: Life after the Death of your Child because it discusses a topic that is paramount especially to those who have gone through the same experiences as the author. The death of one’s child is definitely a traumatic experience and death, in general, is not an easy topic. The existence of a book such as Latisa Be’s that handles the topic so well and which is written by someone who has gone through the pain of losing a child is certainly beneficial. The book’s message is also applicable to people who know anyone going through the loss of their child.

I also liked that the book contains a lot of useful information that is told in an honest way. The author acknowledges the pain that comes with death given that she has been through it herself. She explains what worked for her at different stages of her grieving process. Some of the advice contained includes recognizing the power of gratitude, using healthy outlets to fill the void, realizing that everyone grieves on their own schedule, cherishing the memories but focusing on oneself, what being strong really means and what one can do to support a grieving friend. The information’s practicality is further enhanced by exercises which are included at the end of each chapter.

In terms of structure and grammar, the book is adeptly organized and written. I only identified one grammatical error. The chapters explore one topic at a time and the language is clear and comprehensible. The Resurrection: Life after the Death of your Child by Latisa Be is not only invaluable because of the way it is written but mostly because of the advice it contains. The information included is helpful to all readers especially to those who can relate to the author’s experience. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Resurrection: Life After the Death of your Child
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

My best friend recently lost her baby brother and even though this book caters more to people who have lost their children I think it might help her during her grieving process. Thank you for the recommendation.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Wow! Great review. This book will be nice for almost everyone. I realised that we all are grieved at one point of our lives.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Losing a child has to be one of the worst experiences life. You aren't supposed to outlive your children. I'm glad that there are books out there to, perhaps, help ease some of the pain. Still, the book doesn't apply to me. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

I have a good friend who recently lost a child. I may recommend this to her, when the time is right. Thank you!
Philip127
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Philip127 »

This book is nice most especially for those who lost their child
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I think this will be a tear jerker! Losing someone is already hard, but losing someone who came from you... must be heart and soul-wrenching.
Keslerae
Currently Reading: Rionsod
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keslerae.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Keslerae »

I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose my little girl, the thought alone is like being stabbed through the chest. I am quite interested to see how this woman overcame such an overwhelming obstacle. I hope this never happens to me, but I feel that reading this book before such a tragedy can occur would be wise.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has courageously written a book that can help many others. I love all the high praise you have showered on her efforts. This will be an excellent resource to recommend or gift to people who have lost a child. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

As a mother, I'm not sure I could bear to read this story. My stomach turns immediately after reading nothing more than the title of the book. I am thankful the author was able to create something that hopefully helps many others who have suffered such an unthinkable and devastating loss.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

It is a hard pill to swallow and sometimes people just need to be left alone to grieve with supervision from a distance. I don't think it is a pain that ever goes away, people just learn to live with it the best they can. Brave author, helpful book, nice review.
Goldencheese3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldencheese3.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by Goldencheese3 »

"I also liked that the book contains a lot of useful information that is told in an honest way. The author acknowledges the pain that comes with death given that she has been through it herself. She explains what worked for her at different stages of her grieving process. Some of the advice contained includes recognizing the power of gratitude, using healthy outlets to fill the void, realizing that everyone grieves on their own schedule, cherishing the memories but focusing on oneself, what being strong really means and what one can do to support a grieving friend. The information’s practicality is further enhanced by exercises which are included at the end of each chapter...."

Losing a loved one is as traumatising as hell. It leaves the bereaved in a state of deep depression and sadness that sometimes triggers other negative physical and health outcomes. The insights offered by the author on the secrets of her recovery process, as highlighted by the review, should be helpful to those passing through this phase at the moment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”