Official Review: Formatting Your Fantastic Book

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Formatting Your Fantastic Book

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Formatting Your Fantastic Book" by Mary Korte.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kerning, drop caps, styles, divider lines, and margins are just a few things that you will learn about in Mary Korte’s Formatting Your Fantastic Book. This instructional book is just what a person needs to self-publish his/her book and have a professional look to it. Korte gives her personal tips and helps to make your printed book look great. Have you ever wondered why some of the books you read had strange spacing problems or they just looked like a plain PDF or Word document?

Korte’s first point is that many of us need to unlearn some things and learn new habits when formatting our manuscripts for a book to be printed. One of the things I found hard to unlearn was that there should never be any double spacing used after a sentence! You will need to read the book to find out about the other things that we need to unlearn and learn!

The organization of the book’s contents from the front matter to the back matter was phenomenal, and one can know exactly where to find things easily. The author used her own formatting instructions as she wrote and formatted her book, so she could see and know exactly what to include as she followed her own instructions. I immediately thought that her margins were off-centered, but little did I know that was on purpose! She also knows how dry and monotonous a book like this could get, so she inserted “Phantom,” a little make-believe being that had conversations with her scattered throughout her book and between topics. This did break up the instructions and made it a bit fun, as intended by the author.

I least liked the beginning section on how to modify the style of paragraphs. It was difficult and time-consuming to get through it. The many examples in the book helped, but actual pictures of the computer or Word tabs would benefit the reader even more than just describing them. I tried my best to follow most of the instructions using my own examples of writing to see if I could understand and accomplish the desired results. A true test would be to actually format a book using the instructions.

However, I learned so much from this handy book. I especially liked learning about very useful things that are hidden when using Microsoft Word. I loved learning how to make a drop cap and how to type in the header or footer. I liked the sections on fonts, borders, and raising/lowering letters. I could hardly believe the things that are possible using Word! For example, I learned how to make the copyright symbol.

I rate Formatting Your Fantastic Book 4 out of 4 stars for the fantastic step-by-step guide and explanations of formatting a book to print. The book was edited well, as it was almost flawless with only two words missing a letter and an extra comma. If the tips and instructions are followed, books will look professionally formatted and attract more people to want to read and enjoy your book.

If you prefer learning things with videos, lots of pictures, and very few written words, then this may not be the best way for you to learn formatting. This book would appeal most to those who especially like written instructions, want to save money, and are willing to spend some time learning how to make their self-publishing book look professionally formatted. This book would also benefit anyone who just wants to know more about how to use Microsoft Word and its many secrets of making a document look great.

Formatting Your Fantastic Book
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like it would be a great help if you have a book to self-publish. I've read my fair share of oddly formatted pdfs, so I know there are authors out there who need to read this. Still, I don't have a book written nor am I considering publishing. So, I'm going to skip it. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Based on LV2R review, its is obvious that "Formatting Your Fantastic Book" is self-explanatory. I guess this book will be Perfect guideline book for authors.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book sounds like a great help to those who want to self-publish their books or authors who really can't afford a professional's fees. Although I'm not looking to publish any book soon, I still there's something in there I can learn. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I believe this is one of the most valuable books here in OBC. With so many indie authors attempting to reach the readers, good formatting becomes a must. We often stumble across books that tax us much simply because of formatting issues in spite of having good contents. Also, it is good to know that the author maintains her own instructions. A very thoughtful review! Thank you!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Not only would this book be helpful to the authors, but it would also be helpful to us reviewers.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like a very informative book. Authors and reviewers could learn from this text. All the tips and instruction in this book motivate us to improve our writing. Thanks for an informative review!
dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dublinkmy6.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by dublinkmy6 »

Must add this to my want to read shelf. I will definitely need it in future.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This review is amazing and it presents the book in a majestic light. Although i do not plan to publish a book, i still would like to read this. Thank you.
Tiffany_A_Baker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tiffany_A_Baker »

Looks like a great book for aspired writers! Thank you for you review!
Goldencheese3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldencheese3.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by Goldencheese3 »

This book should be of great assistance to aspiring authors. Thanks for your nice summary.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A step by step guide to formatting books sounds useful for self-published authors. That the book is well organized makes it easier to use. Too bad the section about the style of paragraphs wasn't that clear. Using a make-believe being is a nice touch. Not for me, but I am glad the book benefited you. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
colorsparkle
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorsparkle.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by colorsparkle »

How fascinating! I have to say, my elementary school experience taught me a mixed bag of tricks to use when writing, but I’ve always gotten conflicting feedback about what’s really correct. Thanks for the awesome feedback!
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

"Formatting Your Fantastic Book" by Mary Korte sounds amazing and self-explanatory for authors who want to self-publish their books. I believe this book is loaded with information. Though I am considering writing a book, I still believe that I can still learn one or two tricks.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

What a great resource for those who are a bit skiddish about how to format their book for self publishing. This author sounds well versed in the process and gives great advice and instructions to take out the unknowns for those who are new. I do not have a need for this one, but I know a few people who could use it. Great job on this.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”