Review by Ehartl -- There and Back There Again

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ehartl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Ehartl -- There and Back There Again

Post by Ehartl »

[Following is a volunteer review of "There and Back There Again" by Andrew Alsup.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Andrew Alsup’s book There and Back There Again is a blog-style compilation of short writings detailing Alsup’s activities, interests, and struggles in his daily life. The first half of the book discusses the idea that Alsup may have some sort of psychic ability that may stem from a brain injury. Because of this, he believes he is being psychically harassed and attacked by what he terms “Chipmunk”, or voices he hears which may or may not originate from real people. Alsup is also incensed that his privacy is being violated, and has suggested a new privacy amendment to the United States’ Constitution. The last half of the book discusses various topics, including art, religion, and sexuality.

I found this book extremely difficult to read because of the style of writing. The book is filled with one-sentence paragraphs, run-on sentences, choppy sentences, and pronouns. It is also aggressive in nature, and swearing is a frequent occurrence. I had a difficult time following Alsup’s thought process because he jumps from one thought to the next without any type of transition. Alsup also frequently used the pronouns “they” and “you”, which added to the confusion.

As for the narrative itself, it seemed as though Alsup contradicted himself throughout the book. For instance, when speaking about his legal issues, Alsup first claimed to not have a lawyer. However, in the next paragraph, he claimed to have one. I became confused as to what was really happening. Was he trying to outsmart “Chipmunk”, or the reader? Contradictions like this add to the confusion of the structure of the book as a whole. In addition, the narrative is redundant. Alsup’s arguments run in a circle, and at the end of the first half of the book, I felt as though nothing had been accomplished.

That being said, I got a unique glimpse into the human mind that not all books can give. This was because of the writing style. As confusing at the book is, Alsup’s narrative is honest and does not hold back. This is unfiltered personal conflict and how one copes with such conflict. For that reason, I can appreciate the courage it took to write this book. In addition, in the last half of the book, Alsup’s comments on Edgar Allan Poe’s work was truly insightful. I enjoyed reading it.

Overall, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. While I can appreciate the honesty and personal tone of the narrative, I could not get past how difficult this book was to follow successfully. After re-reading whole sections, I still do not believe I fully understand what Alsup was trying to say. If you are looking for raw emotion and courage, you may enjoy this book. However, if you are not a fan of the “stream of consciousness” writing style or are a stickler for grammar, this book may not be for you

There and Back There Again
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ehartl's review? Post a comment saying so!
jeminah28
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 1275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by jeminah28 »

I womder on the book's title. I thought this one is a good book to ponder. Well, I'm not yet reading it.
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

I was also confused about the title! I've just reviewed the book a week or so ago and it puzzled me a lot. The appearance of the cover for me was a clear allusion to The Hobbit. Although, why - I could not tell...

I've read somewhere that the author suggests reading the book from the back forward. Thus the last sentence of the first part: "The Beginning". I didn't do it. Honestly, after reading the book I thought I needed a break and I'm still taking it =) But I'm curious to try some day.

What are your thoughts on those?
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

I totally agree with you. For me, the non-existent storyline also seemed to be a problem. Overall, it got me on a really bad mood, because there was not even a one happy moment in the whole book. Regardless of how I feel about this book, I think some people will find it really helpful.
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

"That being said, I got a unique glimpse into the human mind that not all books can give." - This is exactly how I felt about his book and I think exactly for this reason some people might find this story helpful. At most parts, I agree with you. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your assessments. Thanks a lot for your objective review.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

The book sounds like a peek into someone's private diary. As the writer suffers from Schizophrenia, it would perhaps make for a better read if it was professionally edited.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”