Review by cemonetti76 -- The Roving Mind: A Modern Appro...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cemonetti76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cemonetti76.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Review by cemonetti76 -- The Roving Mind: A Modern Appro...

Post by cemonetti76 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement" by Anthony Simola.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The author of The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement, Anthony Simola, prepares readers in his forward by disclosing that his book "goes partly against conventional wisdom" and the reader "should take everything I write with a grain of salt but dismiss nothing without giving it a serious thought." We are also told that his book is not about consciousness and self-awareness, so we won't be reading about the typical New Age and spiritual themes so common today.

Simola breaks down his book about expanding the mind into three sections, making it easier for the reader to follow. The first section was particularly interesting and included a discussion of nootropics (smart drugs). I started experimenting with nootropics about a year ago and am always interested in the opinion of professionals on this topic.

The second section discusses, among other things, memory, speed reading, and sleep. Simola provides us with great insight and gives us helpful tips. For example, he recommends that anyone can speed up their reading speed by eliminating the tendency to speak out loud when reading. The third section focuses on artificial intelligence (AI) and its potential benefits and drawbacks. He emphasizes that we must be careful that we don't make AI smarter than we are.

What I like most about The Roving Mind is that the topic of cognitive enhancement can be applied to the young and the old, so anyone can potentially benefit from this book. Simola works mostly with college students, so much of his works revolves around the learning process of students. Throughout the book, he also emphasizes that improving brain function can be particularly useful for those with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

Simola's chapter on memorization techniques was a little confusing and would be hard for some to apply but was interesting nonetheless. The chapter on Effortless Motivation focused on the dopaminergic system and chemical imbalances. I thought this discussion was particularly important given how too little or too much dopamine, seratonin, and GABA can greatly affect our thoughts and feelings.

I would definitely give The Roving Mind 4 out of 4 stars since the author appears to have done extensive and thorough research. The book appears to have been professionally polished and the notes section is impressive. The topic of congitive enhancement is gaining more interest and it's future, as Simola noted, is not certain. I encourage others to read this book as it is likely to have a big and meaningful impact on the reader, as it had on me.

The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cemonetti76's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”