Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Re: Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Amy+++ »

It's so great to see what the author has accomplished but I do not enjoy memoirs.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

It’s so heartbreaking to see that this goes on even in this day and age. This book seems to have the potential to expose this evil act and to help those who have been on the receiving end of it. Not an easy subject to write or read about.
Everything happens for a reason...
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas sounds like an interesting memoir. I feel for the author, how he faced racial discrimination. It sad to learn that racial discrimination still exists in this new age. Great review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The author is also honest and blunt. He does tiptoe around major issues mostly preferring to state his opinion openly. This exudes a feeling of confidence in what is included in the book and the author’s perspective in general. I liked this direct way of writing as it cuts on unnecessary details and it let me know clearly where the author stood on various issues.
Racial discrimination is a very important topic to talk about but, also a sensitive one, and it must be hard to it so bluntly as you mention that the author does.
I'm glad the book ends on a positive note, though.
It seems like an interesting and thought-provoking memoir. Thank you!
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I love how the author was able to install a spirit of hope throughout the novel, even though the topic he is covering can be so depressing and cruel. I'm extremely interested in his vivid descriptions. Great review!
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

He does tiptoe around major issues mostly preferring to state his opinion openly.
You got me confused at this point in your review. What exactly were you trying to say?

While I await your answer, let me say that your review captured salient points in the book. Good job you did there.

For Dr. Douglas, dealing with racism from both White and Black Americans must have been daunting. He was able to brave through these obstacles. However, this book is a pointer to something that America is yet to completely get rid of in its system.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

Racism is a controversial issue in our society today, and the author's memoir speaks on that subject in the academic and business sector. I love his resilience and grace. The world needs to read this. Good review!
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Ardentreader_19
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: The misery
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardentreader-19.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ardentreader_19 »

EmunahAn wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 10:44 [Following is an official review of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream is Dr. Frank L. Douglas’ passionate memoir. After landing a scholarship through relentless dedication, Douglas leaves the then British Guiana for the U.S. to study at Lehigh University and later at Cornell University Medical School. The culture shock he experiences after arrival leaves an impact on him. He witnesses levels of racial discrimination like he has never seen before. In many cases later, he also becomes a victim of this wrong ideology. Douglas joins The Johns Hopkins Hospital and during his residency, he receives a National Institutes of Health fellowship to work as a Clinical Research Associate. Through his journey in medical research and academia, Douglas’ life continues to reflect on identity, political dynamics in British Guiana, racial discrimination in the U.S. and overcoming multiple obstacles to build a career.

I liked that the book reveals the trend of racial discrimination in educational institutions and in business organizations. As an African American, Douglas faced many cases of racial discrimination. In one instance, he is denied a promotion because of his ethnicity. While in school, he also notices many cases of ethnicity-based favoritism. He embarks on researching the matter. The findings, which are upsetting, are revealed in the book.

I also liked that the memoir instills a spirit of hope despite the presence of daunting obstacles. Douglas’ life story is full of ups and downs. He grows up without knowing his real father and has to work extremely hard to secure a scholarship. Life in the U.S. is not everything that he had dreamed of. This does not stop him from pursuing his dreams and serving his community.

The author is also honest and blunt. He does tiptoe around major issues mostly preferring to state his opinion openly. This exudes a feeling of confidence in what is included in the book and the author’s perspective in general. I liked this direct way of writing as it cuts on unnecessary details and it let me know clearly where the author stood on various issues.

I also liked that the author included a powerful background highlighting incidences in his childhood that helped shape his fortitude. Growing up in poverty where he was mostly unsure of how he could afford his education, Douglas became aware of the challenges that faced others like him and worked hard to ensure he made the best out of available opportunities.

I did not like that the book contains a lot of technical descriptions. However, it is thoroughly edited. I only identified two errors. I rate Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream 4 out of 4 stars. It would appeal to readers who are fond of memoirs especially those that reflect on personal and ethnic identity and racial discrimination. Readers who are not fans of this genre or the themes mentioned may not enjoy the book.

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Only the human discriminate against each other on the basis of color, caste, creed, gender and what not. These kinds of books are essential to bring out more awareness and help prevent racism so that at least our posterity is free of racism.
Shanna29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanna29.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B01DZJFWNC

Post by Shanna29 »

Dr. Douglas' journey through racism and other hardships he had to face seems to be a heart-wrenching read. It would be an inspiring book to read about his journey. Great review.
mwanikikelvin
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanikikelvin.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by mwanikikelvin »

I absolutely loved how this book was able to talk more about racial discrimination. I also loved how this review was able to point this out as being one of the integral parts of the book.
megan1197
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by megan1197 »

I don't usually prefer to read memoirs or other similar books, but the detail with which Dr. Douglas tells his stories had me hooked. His determination, his honesty, his understanding of the world around him really had me wanting more. I agree with you in that this book instills a sense of hope thanks to the ambition of Dr. Douglas, as well as his success in overcoming so many obstacles. I'd be interested to look into similar memoirs, especially if they'll have similar themes and ideas.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This book is riddled with amazing stories from the author's childhood and his journey through difficult times such as poverty, racial discrimination, class discrimination and bias. I found the book inspiring and worth the cost. Thanks for the amazing review.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

"Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas seems like a book that borders on a lot of sensitive topics such as racial discrimination, difficult childhood etc. I like that the author was blunt in his writing and I appreciate that he shared his personal experience while growing up.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but I've suffered enough discrimination of my own, and I dislike autobiographies, so I won't be reading "Dr. Frank L. Douglas’ passionate memoir."
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

It's amazing that the author could accomplish so much in spite of the discrimination he faced. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”