Official Review: Fubar by Kenneth Underwood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Official Review: Fubar by Kenneth Underwood

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fubar" by Kenneth Underwood.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Kenneth Underwood opened a Twitter account in 2017, he expected to use it for sharing personal updates. As the events of the Trump presidency kept generating dramatic headlines, however, Underwood found himself using the account to save news stories. His non-fiction book Fubar is a digest of various news reports covering Trump’s election campaign and time in office so far.

The word fubar has military origins and is an acronym of “fouled up beyond all recognition”. Another word beginning with the letter F could be inserted in place of “fouled”. In this light, Underwood discusses the Mueller investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential elections and President Trump’s relations with other leaders, particularly the autocratic ones he seems to admire. The author also considers the implications of the 2017 tax cut and the separation of immigrant children from their parents, among other events and policies pursued by the White House under Trump.

Given that news can be hard to follow as it unfolds, compilations like this are of value. I liked the way Underwood’s approach helped to shed light on the events of the past few years. For example, he provided background information implying a connection between Trump's policy on Iran and his relations with certain Middle Eastern leaders.

Perspectives like this represent the author’s best achievements in this book. I appreciated the way he avoided sensationalism and ad hominem attacks on Trump. He stuck to reported information in a grounded and realistic way. This was aided by his clear and lively style.

Writing style aside, however, the editing of this book was decidedly fubar. It didn’t look as if it had been so much as reread after it was drafted. There were typos in abundance. "Veunerable Democratic Senates seats include ..." is just one example of a mangled phrase. The frequent grammatical and punctuation errors made the book frustrating to read.

Another factor that interfered with the flow of reading was the use of a column of text set apart from the main narrative on each page. These sidebars contained supplementary information under various headings, often split across several pages. Sometimes the information expanded on the discussion in the primary text, but not necessarily, and it straddled chapters. Apparently reproduced verbatim from news stories, it contained elements that were meaningless out of context, such as “Tuesday night”. Endnotes might have worked better.

In line with that problem, the book's content was generally disorganized. While Underwood did attempt to present arguments on certain themes, these weren’t sustained or logical. One outcome of that was considerable repetition. Had the material been chronologically arranged or structured around a more coherent argument, the author could have used cross-references instead of repeating himself. Aside from those drawbacks, I was surprised that the subject of climate change wasn’t substantively addressed.

Overall, this book provides a lot of useful information and would appeal to readers with an interest in current affairs and politics. If such non-fiction topics aren’t your cup of tea, you won’t appreciate this book. It also might not appeal to those who don’t want to read anything negative about Trump. Weighing up this book's strengths and weaknesses, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. It is worth reading for the insights it provides, but it falls down on presentation and coherence.

Fubar
View: on Bookshelves

Like ButterscotchCherrie's review? Post a comment saying so!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I don’t like to spend a lot of time reading about politics, but I agree with you on the importance of preserving historical compilations. While it is unfortunate so many errors exist in this book, I adore your witty use of the title to describe the lack of editing found in Fubar.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This title is definitely catchy, a pity the book didn't live up to it. Or did live up to it?
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Writing style aside, however, the editing of this book was decidedly fubar.
I know it shouldn't have, but this made me laugh out loud. :) Thanks for the entertaining review. There are many reasons I'll be skipping this book, the editing being one! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Jessacardinal wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 13:24 I don’t like to spend a lot of time reading about politics, but I agree with you on the importance of preserving historical compilations. While it is unfortunate so many errors exist in this book, I adore your witty use of the title to describe the lack of editing found in Fubar.
Yep, I didn't know that word before and the editing certainly gave me occasion to use it, unfortunately. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 13:27 This title is definitely catchy, a pity the book didn't live up to it. Or did live up to it?
Great review :)
Unfortunately, the writer didn't even mention the title. I was missing a bit of analysis because the book was more narrative. Still, it has got me reading the news because I recognize the names that keep coming up now - I didn't know who people like John Bolton and Rod Rosenstein were before reading this book.
Thanks for commenting!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 13:35
Writing style aside, however, the editing of this book was decidedly fubar.
I know it shouldn't have, but this made me laugh out loud. :) Thanks for the entertaining review. There are many reasons I'll be skipping this book, the editing being one! Thanks!
Yes, at least I got a chance to use the word!
Mod
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This book seems like a really enlightening read, if not for the lack of coherence, which is such a pity! I hope that the author will run it through a round of editing - I'm sure it will improve a lot from that. Thanks for the review!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

gen_g wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 02:51 This book seems like a really enlightening read, if not for the lack of coherence, which is such a pity! I hope that the author will run it through a round of editing - I'm sure it will improve a lot from that. Thanks for the review!
I have to say that while I found this quite a chore to read due to the problems I mentioned in the review, it has provided me with a solid basis for following US politics in a way I didn't before. But yeah, a first round of editing would be good never mind a second - that's how fubar that was! Thanks for your comment.
Mod
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Political stories are not really my type. Thanks for the informative review.
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Thanks for the review. I like politics but I really don't like reading books full of grammatical errors. I'll pass!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

TJanowski23 wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 07:57 Thanks for the review. I like politics but I really don't like reading books full of grammatical errors. I'll pass!
Yes, that's a problem with this one. Thanks for commenting.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Sweet Psamy wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 07:33 Political stories are not really my type. Thanks for the informative review.
This is not for you then, but thanks for commenting!
Mod
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The wealth of political information is very intriguing. I agree with you, though, the formatting would be highly frustrating. Thanks for your excellent analysis of this book.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

kdstrack wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 21:24 The wealth of political information is very intriguing. I agree with you, though, the formatting would be highly frustrating. Thanks for your excellent analysis of this book.
I guess a reader could skim the sidebars or read them selectively. I just had to read it all as a reviewer, but I often didn't know what order to take things in. Thanks for commenting!
Mod

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”