Official Review: The Optimal Dose by Judson Somerville MD

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: The Optimal Dose by Judson Somerville MD

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Optimal Dose" by Judson Somerville MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are constantly bombarded with advertising by pharmaceutical companies that have seemingly miraculous cures for every ailment. While the catchy pitches may sound enticing, they do not admit that many of these drugs are only masking symptoms and are not fixing the real underlying issue. In his book, Optimal Dose, Judson Somerville, M.D. offers medical advice and reveals to his readers the powerful benefits that can manifest when Vitamin D3 is taken in the proper dose.

This book begins with the author's history of taking supplements during his childhood at his mother's direction to maintain optimal health, his education and an explanation of his credentials in the medical field. As he struggled with weight gain, difficulty sleeping, and repetitive illness, he found healing properties in Vitamin D3, and he shares his personal success story along with the testimonies of his patients who are forever changed by incorporating this into their lives.

While all of this seems fantastic, he explains that this nutrient has been largely ignored and is generally only given a slight mention regarding negative health issues. The need for Vitamin D3 and the lack of it came to the public's attention during the 1930s when scientists found it could cure rickets, a bone disease that children were prone to acquire. The RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) was set from that cure and has not changed since. He has found at higher doses remarkable restoration properties that have yet to be made known on a wide scale. He desires to educate the public to help people put an end to needless suffering.

I liked how this book was organized into eight concise chapters. At the end of each one, the author included a recap and a slight introduction to what was coming up next. Medical reading material can often be dry and dull, but this one is not. It made me wonder about my health and put me in the mindset to pursue a physician that will do a blood test and discuss with me the benefits and safe dosage of this supplement.

Also, I enjoyed the information I learned about what he deemed as 'winter syndrome' when our bodies are denied sunlight which is the primary way to manufacture Vitamin D naturally. Who knew that a lack of this essential substance could slow down metabolism and cause weight gain even if a calorie restrictive diet and exercise regime is followed? This revelation, to me, was astounding and gives great insight into the obesity problem we have in our society. He goes on to explain that Vitamin D is not a vitamin at all but a hormone. That section of the reading was fascinating and eye-opening.

There wasn't a single thing about this book that I didn't like. I read mainly non-fiction with much of the content centering around health and fitness. By far, this book has become one of my favorites in this genre for its simple explanations and easy to follow instructions for better living. For those who like books about nutrition and alternative medical advice, I highly recommend this one to you. For readers who do not prefer non-fiction or books that deal with health, you may want to skip this one.

I am awarding this a 4 out of 4 stars for its superior quality as a medical resource and its excellent information. I only found three slight editing issues that the author can easily fix. I believe this physician's work could be the catalyst for change in how our society views this supplement and how to use it to its highest advantage so that many of our common diseases become non-existent.

The Optimal Dose
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I do agree that there are herbs and supplements out there that can fix a great many of our problems. However, I don't think Vitamin D will fix everything that ails me. In fact, I've tried it, and it didn't really help me. Since this is really ONLY focused on Vitamin D, I'll probably not read this one. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I've heard similar claims about Vitamin D and based on your review, it sounds as though the author has carefully researched the topic. Thanks for the recommendation and informative review.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 10:51 Well, I do agree that there are herbs and supplements out there that can fix a great many of our problems. However, I don't think Vitamin D will fix everything that ails me. In fact, I've tried it, and it didn't really help me. Since this is really ONLY focused on Vitamin D, I'll probably not read this one. Thanks, though.
So sorry to hear. I’m going to go the non-medical route to check on my Vitamin D as he claims most give too low of a dose to do a thing for the body, but we will see. Thanks for reading my review. I always enjoy your visits! 😊
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 12:45 I've heard similar claims about Vitamin D and based on your review, it sounds as though the author has carefully researched the topic. Thanks for the recommendation and informative review.
I seriously didn’t understand the connection between this and other ailments until I read it. Thanks for reading my review. I always appreciate your comments. 😊
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This book is literally calling my name! I have just begun a mostly vegan lifestyle to ward off the prominent diseases running rampantly throughout my family. I am especially interested in the discussion regarding the differences between vitamin deficiencies and hormonal imbalances. While Vitamin D/D3 specifically may not be the cure all for everything, it could certainly be a big part of the puzzle. Thank you for the review!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Jessacardinal wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 15:25 This book is literally calling my name! I have just begun a mostly vegan lifestyle to ward off the prominent diseases running rampantly throughout my family. I am especially interested in the discussion regarding the differences between vitamin
deficiencies and hormonal
imbalances. While Vitamin D/D3
specifically may not be the cure
all for everything, it could
certainly be a big part of the
puzzle. Thank you for the review!

I think it called my name too! I have an appointment scheduled to meet with a physician who practices natural medicine. The extensive list in the book that vitamin D helps convinced me to look into it for myself. Thanks for reading my review, and I wish you the very best of health! 😊
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

cpru68, you have already convinced to think of reading this book for my health and fitness purposes. Thanks.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

esthersamone wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 06:38 cpru68, you have already convinced to think of reading this book for my health and fitness purposes. Thanks.
I am so glad to hear that! I was astounded at what this vitamin can heal and prevent. Thank you for reading my review! 😊
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I usually find medical books boring though, but this one seems very educative; one which I take an advantage of. However, frequent check up is advised to keep track of one's health. I like your review. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I am surprised that lack of sunlight slows down weight loss! Think I need to come out of the house more. Thanks for good review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have been seeing a lot of information about vitamin D. It seems like it can offer amazing health results. I would like to read this book to learn about this author's recommendations and experiences. Thanks for the interesting review.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

nonamer_miss wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 17:25 I am surprised that lack of sunlight slows down weight loss! Think I need to come out of the house more. Thanks for good review.
I was just as surprised as you! It makes sense with all the weight loss tricks that don’t seem to work! Thank you so very much for reading me review. The book is fantastic!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kdstrack wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 18:41 I have been seeing a lot of information about vitamin D. It seems like it can offer amazing health results. I would like to read this book to learn about this author's recommendations and experiences. Thanks for the interesting review.
It is a great book! I learned so much from this author. Thank you so very much for reading my review. 😊😊
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

T_stone wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 03:40 I usually find medical books boring though, but this one seems very educative; one which I take an advantage of. However, frequent check up is advised to keep track of one's health. I like your review. Thanks
This book was an eye opener for me! I love that we get to read books that are written by medical professionals that share their knowledge. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it so much!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”