Official Review: The Young Adult Writers Journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: The Young Adult Writers Journey

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Young Adult Writers Journey" by Janet Schrader-Post and Elizabeth Fortin-Hinds.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Young Adult Writer’s Journey is a guidebook for aspiring writers and explains the ins and outs of what they need to succeed in the business. The process of creating Young Adult fiction is thoroughly discussed from start to finish. Chapters range from world building to how much romance plays a part in this type of book. There are even tips on how to get rid of the dreaded writer’s block. Examples from other popular works from this genre, like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, are given to illustrate points. All of this is laid out in plain language and broken down into steps that can be easily carried out. I will never write a YA book. However, it is one of my favorite go-to reads. So my point of view going into this review was not of an author but of an admirer of this branch of fiction. What I came away with are the tools to write a novel if I ever wanted to and a deeper appreciation for the ones who create the books I so dearly love.

Although this genre has a broad fan base from all ages, it is generally geared toward teens and preteens. The protagonist is always a teen. With that in mind, the coauthors, Janet Schrader-Post and Elizabeth Fortin-Hinds, make an explicit statement throughout the book—you have to know your audience. Janet is a YA author, and Elizabeth helped found a publishing company. Both draw on their experiences with juveniles in advising on how they speak, what they think, and what specific challenges they face today. Writers then can take this information and translate it into their characters, making them more relatable and realistic. 

Everything that the authors say make a top-notch novel is what I love about them as well. A hero that is uniquely flawed but yet still likable; a villain who is so vile that I can feel his evil presence throughout the book; and a world that is captivating enough that I want to get lost in it. Even more important, is what kills a great story: the main character with a flat personality, a world vaguely described, and a middle part that doesn’t seem to go anywhere. One of the most important things a writer can do to avoid these pitfalls is before they put pen to paper, chart out the rules they set for their world and make a detail description for each main character. This helps the writer be consistent throughout and not have the hero suddenly having blond hair when he had brown in the beginning. Those little inconsistencies can squelch my enthusiasm for a book, and I am glad the authors presented this technique. 

At the end, the authors cover marketing for up-in-coming writers, and I think this section is one of the most beneficial. It is hard enough creating a spectacular novel, but now comes the even harder part of selling it. Janet and Elizabeth address what publishers are out there, developing an online presence, and how reviewers are vital for promotion. 

The biggest weakness of this book would be the typos, and it needs one more round of proofreading. One typo made me giggle: “In The Fugitive, Harrison Ford leaps off a damn and into the Special World of being free.” I am pretty sure the word should be “dam.” Most of the errors dealt with either formatting or using hyphens over em dashes. Although there were over ten of these, it did not hinder the reading. 

Unfortunately, because of the number of errors I have to give The Young Adult Writer‘s Journey 3 out of 4 stars. It would be a great resource for anyone who wants to write a YA novel. It might also interest anyone (like me) who loves the genre and wants to learn what goes into the making of a book.

The Young Adult Writers Journey
View: on Bookshelves

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

This book sounds great! Although I've never read a book specifically for authors before, and neither do I want to write a YA novel myself, I think I'd still pick this book up if I had the time because it sounds like a fun read. Thank you for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds really great. I've always wanted to be a writer, but I have never really tried or put myself out there like that (apart from some fan fiction.) I also love the young adult genre. Despite the author not knowing the difference between "damn" and "dam," I think that I could get some use out of this. Tips and ideas at the least. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

Although I am not planning to become a writer any time soon, this book, as I have found out from this review, can make me change my mind and become a writer soon. Thanks for this review.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I would love to improve my writing skills so I definitley want to read this guidebook.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's good to note that you've found great value from this piece. I also had the same experience with errors on my latest review for a fantastic book that I would have otherwise wanted to give a perfect rating to, so I could understand your predicament about them. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

This is, indeed, a young adult book that teaches how to succeed in business.

It's great to know that the book is geared towards teens, which can enable them to have a better future.

Thank you for the informative review.
Books are lovely.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I love YA literature but with its latest boom it sometimes has fallen into some trite topics and flat characters, so I'm glad there's a book out there talking about how to make great YA novels. I'm not about to write one, but I'm sure its a useful book for many aspiring writers and many of the tips can be extended to all kinds of novels.
Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

There's a special sort of irony in a book for writers having this specific kind of error so many times, but I'm glad it wasn't detracting. That being said, it sounds like it really does take the unique needs of the genre into account, so awesome.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”