Official Review: Blue Notes and Sad Chords by Brian Hebert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Official Review: Blue Notes and Sad Chords by Brian Hebert

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blue Notes and Sad Chords" by Brian Hebert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In everyone’s lifetime, there is invariably music that remains ingrained in one’s psyche because of the role it plays in our lives. There is always that one band that we will never forget, that one band that captures the whole world and becomes legendary as time flies by. The Beatles without a doubt is one of those bands. Blue Notes and Sad Chords by Brian Hebert is a book that takes us on a journey to discover The Beatles and their chart-topping music. The author tracks down the trajectory of The Beatles through 27 of their number one hit songs.

The book is divided into three parts. The first part explains the aim of the book; the second part is an analysis of the 27 songs by The Beatles through color-coded text, and the third part explains the singing parts of the different Beatles and their harmony.

When I initially started reading this book, I had no major knowledge of the Beatles. I knew some of their songs as well as the fact that they were famous and that was the extent of my knowledge. I started this book cautiously expecting it to be technical, but thankfully, I was mistaken. The author is quick to reassure the readers that this book is meant for general consumption. This made me happy, as I was able to read the book comfortably without getting lost.

I read this book while listening to the songs and I found it to be quite a novel experience. Not only did I get to listen to good music, but I also was able to understand the arrangement of the music. This was quite a fun experience for me, as I have never taken any music classes. The author’s explanations were simple and straightforward, and an amateur like me was able to understand the explanations given.

I liked that there were the personal stories of not only The Beatles, but also the author scattered throughout the book. It gave the book a personal touch and made me feel as if I had gotten to know The Beatles better. It felt as if the author had put a lot of care into writing this book and that touched me. I liked the book as a whole and I cannot find one thing to criticize.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it did a great job of introducing a band I previously knew nothing about. I would recommend this book to fans of The Beatles as well as anyone who wants to know more about this fascinating band. However, I would especially recommend this book to first- generation fans of The Beatles. This is because they will definitely be in for a nostalgic remembrance of the past.

Blue Notes and Sad Chords
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cher432's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am a lover of music in so many forms and constantly stream melodies in my home throughout the day. The opening line of your review immediately captured my interest in this book. However, as I read on, I too worried the read would be too technical for my taste, so I was relieved to find out you were pleasantly surprised by the text. Did the author suggest listening to the songs while reading the book, or was this your own idea? Either way, what a phenomenal way to experience The Beatles!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wouldn't have thought to do an analysis of a famous group's songs. Nevertheless, it does sound good. I like the added touch of the personal stories. Thanks for the review of such a novel book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Count me in as a first-generation Beatles fan! I'd love to check out this book. Thanks for your wonderful review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciated your admission that you didn't know much about the Beatles before you read the book. That is very motivating for the rest of us who are in the same boat. Listening to the music, along with the explanation given in the book, would be amazing. Why didn't we learn music this way? Thanks for an appealing review of this book!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

This sounds really interesting. I love knowing stories and reading analyses of different types of art. It is also more intriguing due to it being about the Beatles.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I love music so I want to find out more about the Beatles and their songs.I would love to read this inspiring read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”