Official Review: God, I Could really do with your help ri...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: God, I Could really do with your help ri...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God, I Could really do with your help right now!" by Steven Andrew Higgins.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"If you are human, you have either just gone through a very difficult time in your life, are currently going through a very difficult time, or you will be going through a difficult time in the future. Nobody is immune from life's difficulties."

Have you ever felt discouraged or defeated by challenges in your life? After experiencing the transformative power of God's mercy, grace, and love, author Steven Andrew Higgins offers readers hope and encouragement in his book, God, I Could Really Do With Your Help Right Now!

The book consists of 27 chapters beginning with the England-born author's immigration to America followed by the everyday experiences that have shaped his faith over the years. At the age of 17, after his father left the family, Higgins financially supported his mother and younger brother. He experienced God's faithful provision through various jobs he believes were often the result of divine intervention. Higgins shares the simple prayer he prayed to accept Christ and addresses issues such as God's timing, answered prayers, and personal relationships. Throughout the book, he conveys the message that hope, peace, and joy are available by trusting God with our problems--no matter how big or how small.

The author's writing style is informal and conversational. As he draws from his life experiences to illustrate the uplifting message he delivers, his passionate faith is contagious. When it comes to inspirational books, I'll choose an author who shares transparently from the heart over one who seems to have all of the answers, every time. The author's quote from the book's introduction mirrors the teaching of Jesus in John 16: 33, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” I especially appreciated the author's candor when he related a seemingly unsuccessful job venture. "I didn't receive the financial payoffs I was hoping for. Instead, I received more than my share of frustration. I can let you know that I have never prayed harder than I have in the last five years. He will open a new door for me. He has never let me down and has always shown me his goodness and mercy throughout my many years."

Despite its positive message, the book is in need of a thorough edit. The author's tendency to use rambling run-on sentences often required having to reread content for clarity. Considering the book is only 80 pages, I found the copious grammatical errors and overuse of capitalization distracting. Though the introduction mentions the book is comprised from a previous work published in 2007, and the author describes it as the "drastically new and improved version," it wasn't professionally edited. Additionally, there are numerous errors that even a simple spell-check tool would flag. Due to these editorial issues, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars.

For the encouragement and hope it offers, I recommend the book to Christian readers who are willing to look beyond its errors. It will appeal to both new believers as well as those seeking a deeper spiritual walk. However, I wouldn't recommend it to readers who don't appreciate scripture-based books.

God, I Could really do with your help right now!
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I had previewed this one to read, but then chose another. While it sounds like it would appeal to me, the errors would not be to my liking. With an editing job done, I would probably give it a go! Thank you for the insight on this. Always a pleasure to read your reviews.
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

"Drastically new and improved," huh? Yeah... Despite that, it seems like a good book. Yes, we all go through difficult times, and we can all use a bit of help now and then. If this book was edited a bit, I might try it. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

cpru68 wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 09:27 I had previewed this one to read, but then chose another. While it sounds like it would appeal to me, the errors would not be to my liking. With an editing job done, I would probably give it a go! Thank you for the insight on this. Always a pleasure to read your reviews.
It's a wonderful message but just needs more editing. Thanks for your kind comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 12:17 "Drastically new and improved," huh? Yeah... Despite that, it seems like a good book. Yes, we all go through difficult times, and we can all use a bit of help now and then. If this book was edited a bit, I might try it. Thanks, though.
Exactly! Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The title on the cover gave me a giggle, as I feel most of us can relate to the statement at one time or another. If I were in a bookstore, seeing the title of the book would most likely lead to me picking it up and looking further into the story. The first quote in this review regarding difficulties in life is staggering, yet true. What an eye opener!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jessacardinal wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 12:59 The title on the cover gave me a giggle, as I feel most of us can relate to the statement at one time or another. If I were in a bookstore, seeing the title of the book would most likely lead to me picking it up and looking further into the story. The first quote in this review regarding difficulties in life is staggering, yet true. What an eye opener!
I agree--that's exactly what grabbed my attention, too!
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I will pass on this book because of all the errors you mentioned. I can usually overlook them if I am genuinely interested in the subject, but if I am trying to branch out (as I would with this title), then they are a major turn off. Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Vscholz wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 21:03 I will pass on this book because of all the errors you mentioned. I can usually overlook them if I am genuinely interested in the subject, but if I am trying to branch out (as I would with this title), then they are a major turn off. Thanks for the review!
I understand. Thanks for your comment.
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

Have you ever felt discouraged or defeated by challenges in your life?
And I respond in the affirmative. And of course, this makes me think of reading this book for some insights about life from God.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

esthersamone wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 06:46
Have you ever felt discouraged or defeated by challenges in your life?
And I respond in the affirmative. And of course, this makes me think of reading this book for some insights about life from God.
I think most of us can relate to many of the points the author addresses. Thanks for your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The title of this book catches the attention. The quote and the author's experiences also seem to be quite interesting. The errors might drive me crazy, but your comments about the book's message make me want to read it. Thanks for your great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 16:56 The title of this book catches the attention. The quote and the author's experiences also seem to be quite interesting. The errors might drive me crazy, but your comments about the book's message make me want to read it. Thanks for your great review!
Yes, the title grabbed my attention, too. With the exception of the errors, it's a wonderful message. Thanks for your comment.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

The title of this book has already encouraged me. Thanks for the review.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I also choose authors who share from the heart more than just giving answers. It sounds like this book has potential if it had been edited. If this one is new and improved, I cringe to think what the original was like! No doubt it has its redeeming qualities, but a poorly written/edited book gets crossed off my list. Thanks for your thorough and honest review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”