Review by Ehartl -- The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ehartl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Ehartl -- The Biblical Clock

Post by Ehartl »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered how the universe came to be or what had to come together to allow the Big Bang to happen? Can scientific and religious theories explain these mysteries satisfactorily? These are the questions The Biblical Clock, written by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon, attempts to explain. Divided into three parts, this book explores the timeline of the history of the universe and attempts to explain how it was created and when it will end. This books also makes a correlation between the scientific and biblical timelines of the universe, showing that the two timelines can both be accurate.

After reading a few chapters, I found that I really liked the structure of the book. Not only is it divided into three sections to aid in finding information quickly, but each chapter begins with a fictional story. The fictional sections tie into the research that comprises the remainder of the chapter nicely, making it simple for the reader to visualize the information. The book runs the risk of reading like a textbook without the fictional sections, so this format helps the narrative to flow more easily.

Despite the fictional sections, the writing still came across as a bit too dense for the casual reader. Each chapter is packed with so much information, and some of it technical, that it is almost overwhelming. Because of this, several parts of the book felt uncomfortably slow. Also, there were a few topics that seemed out of place. The one instance that sticks out to me is a tutorial on distressing jeans that was placed about halfway through the book. The tutorial is in the form of a small image and was preceded by an analogy that mentioned it, but it still felt strange to see a tutorial on distressing jeans in a scientific and religious book.

The subject matter itself is interesting and I found myself wanting to read more despite the density of the writing. Friedmann and Sheldon pose tough questions regarding the existence of humanity and how all living things came to be. I think it is in our nature to understand where we came from; this book attempts to answer that question, which is innately appealing.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the interesting subject matter, I just could not get past the density and slightly technical nature of the writing. This book was edited well and thoughtfully written, but I prefer a lighter read. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the mysteries of the universe, science, or religion. Readers who are not fans of dense or technical writing should approach this book with caution.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ehartl's review? Post a comment saying so!
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I agree with you; it is in our nature to try to understand where we came from. Maybe this question is also at the heart of many scientific explorations about the origins of our universe.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”