Official Review: First Mistake by D.J. Chang

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Official Review: First Mistake by D.J. Chang

Post by SpencerVo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "First Mistake" by D.J. Chang.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

D.J. Chang was the second generation of a Chinese family immigrating to America after the Chinese Communist Revolution. Since she was the sole Asian girl in a predominantly white community, her childhood was not all roses and sunshine. Despite that, her light was Ah Kung, an elderly domestic worker who used to serve her grandfather. He spoke no English but managed to protect and take care of her. After his sudden death, she mysteriously had the ability to converse with his supposedly spiritual voice. In First Mistake, D.J. retold how Ah Kung’s voice had helped overcome her sexual confusion, relationship fallout, career dissatisfaction, and her inexplicable obsession with death and helpless things. And yet, just like a hamster pointlessly running inside a static wheel, she was still stuck in life. The memoir documented her lifelong attempt to get to the bottom of the problem and fight her way out of the perpetual circle that had dampened her happiness.

The book dealt with many serious topics, such as redemption, forgiveness, and gratitude. However, I would argue that the most significant themes were love and its many facets: love of self, love of significant other, love of God, love of life, and as ridiculous as it sounded, love of mistakes. It was easy to love, but it was much easier to love the wrong way. That was the author’s first mistake. Love without acceptance was deception. Love without responsibility was ignorance. Love without pushing the others to do the right things was compliance and enabling. Love without consideration for the future was just selfish idiocy. Through a painful journey of self-reflection and religious practice, D.J. finally learned what real love was and how love intertwined with faith could lead to contentment and self-actualization.

The lesbian relationship between D.J. and her beloved Caroline was not commonplace, especially when it was complicated by drugs, diseases, and past sexual abuse. However, as D.J. recounted every little detail, such as the house-hunting and the petty arguments stemming from deep-seated insecurities, she gave us the sense that they were a normal couple. The author’s sincere introspection juxtaposing with Caroline’s fragile poems painted the perfect picture of their love: contradictory, painful, private, and beautiful. The gentle melody of Alan Jackson’s Remember When was playing in my head the whole time.

As I was reading First Mistake, I kept imagining D.J. as a middle-aged Chinese woman standing on a modest stage and solemnly narrating her life. To be honest, because of the stark differences in our personalities and life outlooks, I disagreed with most of her decisions and sometimes got irritated by her irrationality, emotional outbursts, and savior complex. Yet, her thoughts still reached me and made me understand, sympathize, and appreciate her as a tender warrior fighting for her love and beliefs. The book captured the political climate of liberal America in the late nineties and early 2000s. It featured many Christian teachings and described how her continuous questioning of God’s intent had driven her to do the good deeds.

The book was professionally edited, and I could hardly find any mistakes. The minor drawback was that although the book hinted at the spiritual aspect in the form of Ah Kung’s voice, I suspected it was just a tool for her inner consciousness to come out. Overall, this was an insightful personal tale packed with intellectual and theological wisdom that one could use in his life.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. First Mistake will be greatly appreciated by mature readers who had experienced ups and downs in life. It will also give precious advice to those who want to engage in a religious journey or those who have the misfortune to love someone difficult. On the downside, it has some descriptions of drug use, sexual abuse, and death. Therefore, if you are in search of an entertaining light read or want to avoid emotionally exhausting and unsettling books, you definitely should steer clear from it.

First Mistake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SpencerVo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this one would be too explicit for me. However, I do appreciate the serious themes that author includes as well as making the relationships so realistic. Still, I'll pass. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The themes in this book are ones that will touch every person that reads this book. However, the explicit content might discourage some people but, this is a good story. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
SpencerVo
Currently Reading:

Post by SpencerVo »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 09:33 It sounds like this one would be too explicit for me. However, I do appreciate the serious themes that author includes as well as making the relationships so realistic. Still, I'll pass. Thanks, though.
It's totally okay if you decide this book is not for you. Thank you for stopping by!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
SpencerVo
Currently Reading:

Post by SpencerVo »

T_stone wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 18:13 The themes in this book are ones that will touch every person that reads this book. However, the explicit content might discourage some people but, this is a good story. Thanks for the review.
I totally agree with you. This is one of the most realistic and touching stories I've read lately. Thank you for stopping by!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I would love to read about how someone survives in a foreign environment. I'm glad I read your review.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

'love of mistakes'? Wow! that's a first one. I'mean very interested in reading this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”