Official Review: It's a White Life by Jim Trebbien

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: It's a White Life by Jim Trebbien

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's a White Life" by Jim Trebbien.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jim Trebbien’s dedication, “Dedicated to all of the people who believe everyone should have equal opportunities in life,” in many ways describes the essence of It’s a White Life. Author Jim Trebbien shares the experiences of a mentor/mentee relationship he had with Cameron Johnson, which takes place during the past decade of modern America.

Jim was raised on a farm in Iowa and is a dean at a community college at the time this story takes place. Cameron grew up in the projects in Omaha, Nebraska and is now a student at the community college Jim works at. Jim is a white male nearing his retirement years; Cameron is an African-American college student in his mid-twenties. These distinctions are integral to the story. The two men developed far more than the mentor/mentee relationship that they initially signed on for, as they discovered both many similarities and differences in their lives. Discover what they found out about themselves and life in their journey together.

The author presents his discoveries primarily through stories, with each man sharing experiences and thoughts from their past. Additionally, Jim provides his observations on the contrasts as well as their similarities. Many themes are covered, including family, legal issues, discrimination, and religion. The author tackles the many themes in an engaging manner, keeping his readers wanting more.

In many ways, the men are similar to each other. Both men grew up in close-knit families that are very supportive of them. They view themselves as born-again Christians and are very active in their churches. Both men are in loving marriages and place high importance on family life.

Early in the book, we hear one of the more shocking contrasts in how the two men were treated after each of their first wives falsely accused them of physical abuse. Jim’s background did not prepare him for Cameron’s experiences, especially with law enforcement. For example, Cameron shared that he and his friends would often get pulled over for “being black.” Jim gets to learn first-hand later on as to just how scary it is to be pulled over with someone who is black. It also makes Jim think of all the things that should have gotten him into trouble with the law but didn’t. The subject of guns comes up at various times in their childhood backgrounds: Jim hunted with his brother and father, while Cameron watched bad people shooting each other while playing outside. What Jim recognizes in himself by the end of the book is in many ways a stunning sociological perspective on life as a white man.

I rate It’s a White Life 3 out of 4 stars. It provides a hands-on reflective look at the reality of white privilege in the United States in an incredibly engaging manner. I particularly enjoyed the way the stories were presented as it helped me to get to know both Cameron and Jim. The only reason it is not worthy of 4-stars is the numerous grammar errors that would have been picked up with better editing. Outside of the editing issues, there wasn't anything I outright disliked in the book. This book would appeal to people who want to know more about racism in the United States while engaging with real people instead of stereotypes.

It's a White Life
View: on Bookshelves

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This book sounds relevant and intriguing. Thanks for the excellent review.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

Race is always a difficult subject to discuss, because unfortunately, some people still experience discrimination. Yet I think that as a non fiction book, this story can help bring those issues out in the open through real interactions. It seems as if the author did a good job of describing how people of different races are treated differently, without stereotyping anyone.
:character-ariel:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Your review definitely makes me want to read this book. It sounds like this story would make a phenomenal movie!
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

Post by melissah30 »

This book sounds like an excellent way to examine how white privilege affects us in ways that we take for granted! It seems like a great read and I should definitely try it out!
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
stevenkay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by stevenkay »

Interesting title interesting reflection of colour and privilege, and opportunity. It sounds realistic and more of the daily life . I want to dig in more so I can hear the nitgrities involved
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It provides a hands-on reflective look at the reality of white privilege in the United States in an incredibly engaging manner.
That sentence makes the whole book very intriguing despite the numerous grammatical errors. Still, I've got so many books on my to read list, and this one is just not striking a chord with me at the moment. I'll keep it in mind for the future, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I would love to read each man's stories about his past. Thanks.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Alicia09 wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 20:41 Race is always a difficult subject to discuss, because unfortunately, some people still experience discrimination. Yet I think that as a non fiction book, this story can help bring those issues out in the open through real interactions. It seems as if the author did a good job of describing how people of different races are treated differently, without stereotyping anyone.
You are right that it's hard to talk about. More than anything, the author listened as much of what we learn about Cameron's experiences are in his own words.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

melissah30 wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 02:23 This book sounds like an excellent way to examine how white privilege affects us in ways that we take for granted! It seems like a great read and I should definitely try it out!
There are so many ways that those of us who are white don't even realize is truly a privilege.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 08:33
It provides a hands-on reflective look at the reality of white privilege in the United States in an incredibly engaging manner.
That sentence makes the whole book very intriguing despite the numerous grammatical errors. Still, I've got so many books on my to read list, and this one is just not striking a chord with me at the moment. I'll keep it in mind for the future, though. Thanks!
Definitely intriguing and so personal.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your description of Cameron and John's relationship makes me want to read this book. I agree that the errors are frustrating. It still sounds like a compelling story. Thanks for your review.
shaid01724
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shaid01724 »

This book has been read by Khobi Anand and learned a lot about the life of man. The real book is a very realistic book.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like a book that covers important issues. Such a pity that so many books are let down by their editing.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The book sounds like an inspiring read, but like you mentioned, it is a pity about the editing. I'm interested in this issue, and I will pick this up after it goes for editing. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”