Official Review: The 2020 Candidate by Lloyd Bruce Miller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Re: Official Review: The 2020 Candidate by Lloyd Bruce Miller

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Must have been a struggle to get through. Great review!
:tiphat:
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 25 Dec 2018, 00:53 Must have been a struggle to get through. Great review!
It does need some work. Thank you for dropping in and sharing a comment.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I usually find political books to be interesting to read because they have different opinions; based on the writer -- mostly educative, whatever angle the author writes from. But this book seems to lack every form of "intelligence". Glad you could finish this one. Thanks for yet another honest and succinct review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

T_stone wrote: 25 Dec 2018, 03:20 I usually find political books to be interesting to read because they have different opinions; based on the writer -- mostly educative, whatever angle the author writes from. But this book seems to lack every form of "intelligence". Glad you could finish this one. Thanks for yet another honest and succinct review.
Yes, this one was a bit hard to follow. I appreciate you stopping by and commenting. Thanks!
-Nayyirah Waheed
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

It sounds like Miller was trying to please too many people, because he said that mass murderers are just expressing themselves and victims of sexual abuse should just deal with the "terribleness of life". If he is really trying to run for Presidency any time soon, he will probably win a lot of votes since murder and sexual abuse run rampant throughout this country. Thanks for the honest review. I'll make sure to skip this one.
:character-ariel:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Alicia09 wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 12:13 It sounds like Miller was trying to please too many people, because he said that mass murderers are just expressing themselves and victims of sexual abuse should just deal with the "terribleness of life". If he is really trying to run for Presidency any time soon, he will probably win a lot of votes since murder and sexual abuse run rampant throughout this country. Thanks for the honest review. I'll make sure to skip this one.
I appreciate you stopping by and sharing a comment. Thanks.
-Nayyirah Waheed
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

We should show more understanding to shooters, but less to victims of sexual abuse? That certainly sounds a bit off!

I have mixed feelings about the Me Too movement. It's difficult to punish the guilty when we are guesstimating their innocence. My brother's friend was locked away for years in a military prison because of a false claim of sexual misconduct. Later, the lady accidentally let it slip that she lied to save herself from family embarrassment. She stole years from him and ended his career without any punishment.

Just to be clear, men that that perform vile sexual acts should be locked away. I'm just always wary of mob justice. A family member of mine has witnessed murders in Kenya from that mentallity.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

JordanKSmith wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 12:57 I have mixed feelings about the Me Too movement. It's difficult to punish the guilty when we are guesstimating their innocence. My brother's friend was locked away for years in a military prison because of a false claim of sexual misconduct. Later, the lady accidentally let it slip that she lied to save herself from family embarrassment. She stole years from him and ended his career without any punishment.

Just to be clear, men that that perform vile sexual acts should be locked away. I'm just always wary of mob justice. A family member of mine has witnessed murders in Kenya from that mentallity.
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Yes, it is hard to disagree that false accusation are tragic. No doubt, the Me Too movement has brought new opportunities for that. But as the movement's purpose is to begin to right centuries of misused power by men over women, I think the movement is necessary, and a long time coming. The choices of the few dishonest accusers and the consequences of that do not taint the importance of the movement for millions of women, many of whom, like your brother's friend, have been scarred irreparably. I guess we can agree that this book's author has an oversimplified and uninformed position on this matter. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:

Post by JordanKSmith »

Eva Darrington wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 14:18
JordanKSmith wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 12:57 I have mixed feelings about the Me Too movement. It's difficult to punish the guilty when we are guesstimating their innocence. My brother's friend was locked away for years in a military prison because of a false claim of sexual misconduct. Later, the lady accidentally let it slip that she lied to save herself from family embarrassment. She stole years from him and ended his career without any punishment.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Yes, it is hard to disagree that false accusation are tragic. No doubt, the Me Too movement has brought new opportunities for that. But as the movement's purpose is to begin to right centuries of misused power by men over women, I think the movement is necessary, and a long time coming. The choices of the few dishonest accusers and the consequences of that do not taint the importance of the movement for millions of women, many of whom, like your brother's friend, have been scarred irreparably. I guess we can agree that this book's author has an oversimplified and uninformed position on this matter. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
I agree with you. It's a natural repercussion of centuries and eons of abuse. Whenever one group is breaking through oppression, the scales of justice wobble back and forth a bit before they stabilize. We are working out society's morals, and that is a complicated and painful task. I believe we can do it. It will just take some time. :)

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

JordanKSmith wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 14:29
Eva Darrington wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 14:18

I agree with you. It's a natural repercussion of centuries and eons of abuse. Whenever one group is breaking through oppression, the scales of justice wobble back and forth a bit before they stabilize. We are working out society's morals, and that is a complicated and painful task. I believe we can do it. It will just take some time. :)
Very well said. Happy New Year!
-Nayyirah Waheed
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:

Post by JordanKSmith »

By the way, this is a fantastic review. :)

Happy New Year!

Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

Sounds like the only person who is going to admire this book first and last is the author himself. Sorry that you had trugde through such a terrible read. Even though the title of the book drew me in at first, I am definitely staying away from this one.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

JordanKSmith wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 15:09 By the way, this is a fantastic review. :)

Happy New Year!
Thanks, JordanKSmith.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 16:23 Sounds like the only person who is going to admire this book first and last is the author himself. Sorry that you had trugde through such a terrible read. Even though the title of the book drew me in at first, I am definitely staying away from this one.
A good choice! Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It seems that the book has disappointed you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts frankly 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”