Official Review: The 2020 Candidate by Lloyd Bruce Miller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: The 2020 Candidate by Lloyd Bruce Miller

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 2020 Candidate" by Lloyd Bruce Miller.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The author of The 2020 Candidate wants to run for president in 2020. Or does he? He is a writer and a composer. Or is he? In this nonfiction book (Or is it fiction?), author Lloyd Bruce Miller sets out to write about his political views as he muses about running for president. Unfortunately, Miller does not come to any conclusions about whether he wants to run for president, what his views are on primary issues, whether he is writing fiction or nonfiction, or whether he wants you to read his book: “You can read on if you wish. It’s your prerogative. But you should realize that I don’t really make much sense realistically.”

Interspersed with his ruminations, Mr. Miller shares his raw thoughts and feelings about a range of topics including homelessness, free speech, racism, right to die, gun violence and the Me Too movement. Generally, Miller’s positions are difficult to discern. He is rarely able to state a clear belief and ping-pongs through his ambivalence continually. When he does find clarity, his views range from extreme to more extreme. Mr. Miller asserts that mass shooters are merely expressing themselves and that we should show them more understanding. And of the Me Too movement, he writes that victims of sexual misconduct and sexual violence should refrain from blaming their abusers and “learn to accept the terribleness of life.“

I enjoy a good political read. I chose this book because, based on the summary, the author’s issue interests sounded relevant. Unfortunately, the stream-of-consciousness writing jumps between first, second and third-person passages and reaches few obvious conclusions. Rather than clarify his ideas, the author involves the reader in his process about whether or not to change what he just wrote. This practice left me feeling like I was reading a diary or the transcript of a brainstorming session. Miller frequently muses about whether he had written fiction or nonfiction: “I’m willing to go along with you, whatever you say the book is, fiction or non-fiction. I’m not trying to be strictly truthful about everything, so that it might be safer to call it fiction.” The 2020 Candidate is a first draft at best and a ninety-page flight of ideas at worst.

The book is presented with no chapters, no sections, and only rare paragraph breaks. It does not appear to be professionally edited, on any level. The formatting of my copy is rough, with sentences frequently cutting off in the middle of the line and then continuing on the next line. I found ten errors in the first twenty-four pages.

I rate The 2020 Candidate 1 out of 4 stars. I cannot find a reason to rate the book any higher. I do not recommend the book to readers of fiction or political nonfiction. Lloyd Bruce Miller was unable to state a thesis or outline his main points. Perhaps he was using this draft as a test balloon for a book concept. It is hard to tell. A professional editor is needed to hone the message as well as the presentation and formatting of the book.

The 2020 Candidate
View: on Bookshelves

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike politics. I can't tell you how much both sides irritate me. So this wouldn't be a good book for me in the best of times. Since you give it a 1, I'm definitely skipping it. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 08:32 I dislike politics. I can't tell you how much both sides irritate me. So this wouldn't be a good book for me in the best of times. Since you give it a 1, I'm definitely skipping it. Thanks, though.
Yes, your decision is a good one. This book didn't cut it. Thanks for stopping in!
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It seems like the book is in serious need of focus and clarity; I would love to read about his views, but I'm definitely giving this a hard pass, especially when you mention that it rambles on. Thanks for the review, nonetheless!
chironwolf52
Favorite Book: Ask and It Is Given
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chironwolf52.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B002FQJT3Q

Post by chironwolf52 »

Unfortunately, the stream-of-consciousness writing jumps between first, second and third-person passages and reaches few obvious conclusions. Rather than clarify his ideas, the author involves the reader in his process about whether or not to change what he just wrote.
Maybe this is the author's journal or diary and he thought it would be a clever idea to turn it into a book. :doh: Hopefully, our current presidency will ferret out candidates for 2020 who have clear, firm, mature and expansive views.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

chironwolf52 wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 10:25
Unfortunately, the stream-of-consciousness writing jumps between first, second and third-person passages and reaches few obvious conclusions. Rather than clarify his ideas, the author involves the reader in his process about whether or not to change what he just wrote.
Maybe this is the author's journal or diary and he thought it would be a clever idea to turn it into a book. :doh: Hopefully, our current presidency will ferret out candidates for 2020 who have clear, firm, mature and expansive views.
Indeed! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

gen_g wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 10:08 It seems like the book is in serious need of focus and clarity; I would love to read about his views, but I'm definitely giving this a hard pass, especially when you mention that it rambles on. Thanks for the review, nonetheless!
I support your decision! It was a struggle to complete this one. I appreciate you dropping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

How bizarre! Maybe he lost a bet or got pranked. Perhaps someone turned in his journal as if it were a publish-ready work to get revenge.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like a chore to read. Each point you made had me going 'ugh'.
Stream-of-conciousness - ugh.
Zero formatting - double ugh.
First draft at best - ultimate ugh.

Loved your review. Thanks, Eva!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"Mr. Miller asserts that mass shooters are merely expressing themselves and that we should show them more understanding. And of the Me Too movement, he writes that victims of sexual misconduct and sexual violence should refrain from blaming their abusers and 'learn to accept the terribleness of life.'"
Yikes. At least he was honest about not making much sense. The best thing about this book is the fact that your review is a good read.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Amanda Deck wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 12:59 How bizarre! Maybe he lost a bet or got pranked. Perhaps someone turned in his journal as if it were a publish-ready work to get revenge.
Hadn't thought of that! Thank you for stopping in and sharing a comment.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Bianka Walter wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 14:21 This sounds like a chore to read. Each point you made had me going 'ugh'.
Stream-of-conciousness - ugh.
Zero formatting - double ugh.
First draft at best - ultimate ugh.

Loved your review. Thanks, Eva!
Thanks Bianka. It was a bit hard to get through. I appreciate you stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

SamSim wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 16:45
"Mr. Miller asserts that mass shooters are merely expressing themselves and that we should show them more understanding. And of the Me Too movement, he writes that victims of sexual misconduct and sexual violence should refrain from blaming their abusers and 'learn to accept the terribleness of life.'"
Yikes. At least he was honest about not making much sense. The best thing about this book is the fact that your review is a good read.
Yes, he seemed to recognize that he was completely ambivalent about most things. Thank you so much for reading my review and sharing a comment!
-Nayyirah Waheed
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I don’t mind a political book now and then, but it has to have a point. This one seems to be half baked and not ready for the reading masses. So nice to see you stuck with it to give it a chance. I don’t know if I would have been so patient. I’m definitely skipping this one. Thanks for the heads up.
Everything happens for a reason...
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

cpru68 wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 03:52 I don’t mind a political book now and then, but it has to have a point. This one seems to be half baked and not ready for the reading masses. So nice to see you stuck with it to give it a chance. I don’t know if I would have been so patient. I’m definitely skipping this one. Thanks for the heads up.
Yes, I kept thinking it might come together, but not so much. Thank you for stopping by and sharing a comment.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”