Official Review: The 2020 Candidate by Lloyd Bruce Miller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Re: Official Review: The 2020 Candidate by Lloyd Bruce Miller

Post by Amanda Deck »

JordanKSmith wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 14:29
Eva Darrington wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 14:18
JordanKSmith wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 12:57 I have mixed feelings about the Me Too movement. It's difficult to punish the guilty when we are guesstimating their innocence. My brother's friend was locked away for years in a military prison because of a false claim of sexual misconduct. Later, the lady accidentally let it slip that she lied to save herself from family embarrassment. She stole years from him and ended his career without any punishment.

Just to be clear, men that that perform vile sexual acts should be locked away. I'm just always wary of mob justice. A family member of mine has witnessed murders in Kenya from that mentallity.
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Yes, it is hard to disagree that false accusation are tragic. No doubt, the Me Too movement has brought new opportunities for that. But as the movement's purpose is to begin to right centuries of misused power by men over women, I think the movement is necessary, and a long time coming. The choices of the few dishonest accusers and the consequences of that do not taint the importance of the movement for millions of women, many of whom, like your brother's friend, have been scarred irreparably. I guess we can agree that this book's author has an oversimplified and uninformed position on this matter. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
I agree with you. It's a natural repercussion of centuries and eons of abuse. Whenever one group is breaking through oppression, the scales of justice wobble back and forth a bit before they stabilize. We are working out society's morals, and that is a complicated and painful task. I believe we can do it. It will just take some time. :)
Except it's not just one group; men are abused all over the world starting from childhood. It's 'tradition' in many places. I've known many victims, both male and female, abused by both male and female. I've actually asked myself before if we should just start teaching children that it's what happens and how to deal with it. Because it does seem to be a major part of life. Sucks.
Also, I know a woman who threatened to falsely accuse a man of molesting her children. I tracked the man down and I also told the police; he was safe because of it.
My main problem is that society keeps trying to get revenge instead of allowing a correction.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Sushan wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 19:39 It seems that the book has disappointed you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts frankly 👍👍
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thanks for your thorough review. I will certainly be passing this one up. I must say that I loved your opening paragraph. (Or did I?) :lol: I did! Thanks for your honesty here!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 12:16 Thanks for your thorough review. I will certainly be passing this one up. I must say that I loved your opening paragraph. (Or did I?) :lol: I did! Thanks for your honesty here!
Thank you :) I appreciate you dropping in and sharing a comment. I support your decision to pass on this book!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”