Official Review: Chiefs by Neil Flett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Chiefs by Neil Flett

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chiefs" by Neil Flett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you hold a leadership position in your organization? Then you must be familiar with the saying: “It’s lonely at the top.” Chiefs is one book that teaches leaders how to make the top a little less lonely. The author, Neil Flett, has recorded tremendous success coaching people at the top levels of management in various organizations. He proves this by keeping this book short and concise, which shows me he understands the value of time.

Chiefs addresses all the scary aspects of being a leader, from staying in control at all times to communicating with staff, clients and the media. It also addresses public speaking, finances, technology and growing your organization. There are lots of helpful tips on what to do about bad press, when and how to use and not use e-mail, how to structure and improve speeches, and more. The author has written this book for top management level professionals, and I believe every leader serious about always putting their best foot forward should get their hands on this book.

There are many things to like about this book. The entire book is well organized, and each section stands out. I went through the subsections that interested me most at first, and surprisingly, found them easy to understand. Neil does not beat about the bush, neither does he include needless examples and stories.

There is a section in this book that deals with how using notes can make or mar a speech, and it includes a sample speech. At first, I was doubtful the methods proposed by the author were workable. So I practised the sample speech following the instructions set out in the book on body language and movement. My husband helped make a video of me practising. I was pleasantly surprised! I actually looked like one in charge. From that moment, I was sold.

Mr. Flett, my nickname for your book is “The Boss Handbook.” Chiefs has earned a well deserved 4 out of 4 stars from me. I actually searched this book for something to dislike, but couldn’t find anything worth a lesser rating.

Chiefs
View: on Bookshelves

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is an interesting concept for a book. I've seen many leadership books but not about loneliness at the top. Still, this isn't really for me. I'm not a leader, and I'm not really aspiring towards that. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Your review makes me suspect that this book would be useful for everyone, boss or not. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 08:30 This is an interesting concept for a book. I've seen many leadership books but not about loneliness at the top. Still, this isn't really for me. I'm not a leader, and I'm not really aspiring towards that. Thanks for the review, though.
Thanks for your honest comment.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

SamSim wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 16:41 Your review makes me suspect that this book would be useful for everyone, boss or not. Thanks for the recommendation!
You might be right on that count. I appreciate your comment.
Pigwe603
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pigwe603.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Pigwe603 »

So interesting to note that the book Chiefs even addresses public speaking as one of the key substances for leadership.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I was terrified of public speaking as a college student. Dropped the class three times :). It sounds like this business manual was effective at improving speaking technique. I enjoyed reading your review!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a very informative book. That's good that you got a lot out of it. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
Rosejosi29
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rosejosi29 »

What an interesting book I've always been scared to stand in front of crowd it's nice to know this book is not only useful for leaders but common citizens too :techie-reference:
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

Chiefs addresses all the scary aspects of being a leader, from staying in control at all times to communicating with staff, clients and the media. It also addresses public speaking, finances, technology and growing your organization. There are lots of helpful tips on what to do about bad press, when and how to use and not use e-mail, how to structure and improve speeches, and more. The author has written this book for top management level professionals, and I believe every leader serious about always putting their best foot forward should get their hands on this book.
A very informative book filled with a lot of useful tips for becoming a better leader. I am not a leader, so I will pass on this book. However, it is definitely a must-read for those who aspire to leadership.
Thank you for the throughout review! :tiphat:
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Truthfully, I agree that it's lonely at the top. I would love to read this book.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I once heard someone say you should dress for the job you want, and not for the job you currently have. It seems like this book takes this idea a step further, because even if I am not a leader, I can learn strategies that will make me a successful leader (like the body language in the speech you mentioned). Therefore, this book sounds like it could be a great source of advice for all people who aspire to be leaders (even if they are not currently in a position of authority). This book is somewhat relevant to me (since I'm a teacher) so the strategies sound interesting and potentially useful.
:character-ariel:
bimma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bimma »

Teaches about leadership. It gives illustrative situation reasoning to leadership experience in general. It is an interesting book.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I also feel this how-to guide may be specifically useful to college students prior to taking the dreadful requirement that is Speech 101.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Sincerely, I appreciateciate the author's motive to make the top less lonely for those at the top. I'm impressed with this read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”