Official Review: Brains, Boobs, and Balls by Charlie Fusco

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Brains, Boobs, and Balls by Charlie Fusco

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brains, Boobs, and Balls" by Charlie Fusco.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brains, Boobs, and Balls by Charlie Fusco describes the author's experiences as a female entrepreneur, including her rough beginnings and all of the mistakes she made along the way. It was also released under the title A New Breed of Shark: Become a Fierce & Fearless Female Entrepreneur after her rather racy title prevented her book from being a New York Times Best Seller. Fusco herself is quite a sexual person, so in the interest of providing a complete view of her struggles, she has a very matter-of-fact approach to sexuality, and while I found this refreshing, more sensitive readers may want to steer clear.

The book centers around the three concepts outlined in the title: brains, boobs, and balls. Essentially, female entrepreneurs must have confidence in their intelligence, outward appearances, and potentially risky decisions. This is a remarkably effective metaphor for Fusco's personal journey, and I was quite pleased with how she built her narrative around these three elements. The book has a strong emphasis on her memoir, but it also includes business advice, and both components are tied together nicely without ever becoming difficult to follow.

While Fusco's advice is central, in my opinion, Brains, Boobs, and Balls is at its weakest during some of these portions. For example, Fusco describes the impact that overworking herself had on her children, as well as the positive impact that her children had on her life. This is much more powerful and inspiring than another section where she says all female entrepreneurs should have children, as this makes sweeping assumptions that just may not apply to some people. This is to say nothing of some of her more controversial advice; according to Fusco, "You should want to have orgasms all the time!" At the end of the day, people can choose to either accept or ignore anyone's advice. Taking her opinion to an extreme makes it seem like Fusco isn't respecting that.

In all other areas, though, Fusco's tone and writing style are both quite excellent. The fact that she's so honest about things many people wouldn't divulge is incredibly commendable. For instance, her mother, on her deathbed, says that her only regret was not having a proper wedding. Fusco reacts angrily, expecting an apology for how she was treated in her childhood. The way she describes this event feels incredibly personal and charged, and that style is critical to writing a good memoir. Emotional moments like these are balanced with humor, making the storytelling really engaging.

Unfortunately, the writing style is impeded by a lack of editing. There are mistakes like homonym mix-ups, missing letters, and missing words that could easily have been detected by an editor. Despite the author's expertise and refreshing writing style, due to the lack of editing and the fact that Fusco presents her opinions as facts, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. There's some valuable information here for female entrepreneurs, so if you fall into this category, it's worth checking out the book regardless. If you usually enjoy memoirs and don't mind the issues I've mentioned, this book is also for you.

Brains, Boobs, and Balls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

The book seems particularly written for me. I like reading personal experiences of entrepreneurs. I can compromise with the issues you mentioned for it. Thanks a lot for introducing such a nice book.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this one is for me. I'm not really an entrepreneur not do I have a desire for children, as shocking as that may be considering I'm a woman. It's too bad this was not professionally edited either. Anyway, I'll pass. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

The title sounds exciting, but from your description it sounds like this is one more book that was written about how someone became successful. I agree with your idea that the author's advice may not work for everyone, because not all women may want to get married or have children while still attempting to be an entrepreneur. It sounds like a lot to balance, and this can easily lead to burnout for most women. I'll have to pass on this, but appreciate your honest review. Thanks!
:character-ariel:
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Great review. The book sounds interesting. Am all for women getting to the top. I'll totally look out for the book
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

It's a shame about the poor editing. I like memoirs, especially those infused with humor. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Well the title is catchy. I don't know if I'd be interested in the book, but it does sound entertaining for people that are.
:tiphat:
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I am female, and I am interested in entrepreneurship, but I think her ballsy and somewhat forceful approach won't suit my contemplative and reserved nature. This is a detailed and direct review though, and thank you for that.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I admire female entrepreneurs with a balanced life. The title of this book alone affirms that.Wonderful read.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

This memoir is catchy by its title, but the writing style and errors knock it off my list. Too many books, so little time, so not wasting my time on this one. Thanks for your honest review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”