Official Review: Get Rid of Your Stupid List by T.L. Adams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Get Rid of Your Stupid List by T.L. Adams

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Get Rid of Your Stupid List" by T.L. Adams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How happy are you being single? Do you crave male companionship, but the relationships you had never blossomed into a happily ever after? How come you’re successful in every other area of your life except relationships? If you want the answers to these questions, then Get Rid of Your Stupid List! Seven Reasons You are Successful and Still Single by T.L. Adams is the book for you!

Writing from her own experiences, T.L. Adams deep dives into the female psyche of the modern, career-oriented woman who can’t seem to find Mr. Right. Adams shares her insights on the masculine perception of a strong, independent woman and gives valuable advice on how women can find a suitable partner by simply changing their thinking, reflecting on their own perception of relationships and getting rid of their infamous dating checklist.

I chose to read this book since I felt like it could shed some light on my unsuccessful attempts to find a life partner. Like the author, I also had a list of criteria that I would use for dating, and more often than not, I’d dismiss a guy if he didn’t meet the requirements. In doing so, I ended up dating a few Mr. Wrongs and I know I skipped over a few really good guys that probably could have been right for me. I liked that the author shared her experience with this because it helped me to realize just how detrimental it is to follow a dating checklist without any room for compromise.

One thing really resonated with me in the book and that was the ‘Am I Wasting my Time Quiz’. Upon reading this segment, I realized that the last guy I dated was a non-committed guy, but I did not realize this at the time because he had everything the perfect guy was supposed to have – money, looks, charm, education, and ambition (practically everything on my list). His only flaw was that he wasn’t eager to settle down, and did not want to make future plans – something I wanted more than anything. I always thought that he would come around eventually, and I dated him for nearly two years before ending it. I’ll always regret the time and effort I wasted. Before reading this book, I never questioned why I was attracted to this type of man or how I couldn’t deduce that he was Mr. Wrong from the very beginning.

The self-evaluation questions in the book helped me a lot. I started to reflect on my past relationships and my interaction with men whom I dated. As a result, I came to some of the same conclusions that the author did and I was surprised to learn new things about myself and my own approach to dating. There was also plenty of space for the self-evaluation questions to be answered in the book, and I think this made the book much more interactive. It is definitely a book that is most effective in hardcopy, so readers can write in the answers as they read.

Overall, I found this book to be insightful, thought-provoking, and helpful. Unfortunately, there were a few errors. I spotted incorrectly placed commas, a couple of punctuation slip-ups, and misspelled words. Due to this, I had to remove a star. The final rating is 3 out of 4 stars. This book will appeal to adult women who need advice and motivation when it comes to dating and relationships. Personally, this is also the kind of book I would give to my single female friends as a gift.

Get Rid of Your Stupid List
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the self-evaluatuons in this one. However, I'm, mostly, happily married. Therefore, I don't think this is for me. Sounds great for those that are still single, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I guess that checklist can get in the way. I'd love to see the quiz about not wasting your time. Might help with gaining some perspective. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love how interactive this book is set up to be. I think all self-help books should be this way. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like your introduction. I could of really of really used this book when I was single. Sounds like a great book. Maybe I can pass it down to my girls.
:tiphat:
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

SamSim wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 16:29 I love how interactive this book is set up to be. I think all self-help books should be this way. Great review!
I totally agree with you! Thank you and Merry Christmas :D
Erick Rick
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Erick Rick »

I haven't read the book, but from the reviews i think it's so fascinating and mind opening
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

After reading your review, I think I really should read this book! You make it seem very appealing, and the only setback was the problem with grammatical errors. Goodness knows I need help with relationships, and this may be a good book to read before the new year. Great review!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I am quite satisfied with my single kingdom as my current focus is career, but I think this book will provide some valuable insights for the future me. I will check this book out once I have the time to, and maybe recommend this to my (also) single female friends. Thank you for the lovely review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Sounds like an inspiring read. Would love to read it one day.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I don't agree with the cover page of this book. Why the emphasis on the female gender? This book seems to be gender biased.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I need this book! I threw away my list and I'm currently with a wonderful guy, but he refuses to commit and I'm not sure what to do. Am I wasting my time? Or do I just enjoy life as it is now? Maybe this book would help me find the answers. I have already been married 25 years and have done the family thing, so I'm wondering if this is applicable for someone in there 40's instead of 20's. I'll have to check it out!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”