Official Review: Dino's World by Shawn Taverner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Dino's World by Shawn Taverner

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dino's World" by Shawn Taverner.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dino's World by Shawn Taverner is one man's account of his real-life experiences with UFOs and extraterrestrial beings. Shawn grew up with a keen interest in both aliens and the flying machines of Nikola Tesla. He spent much of his life star-gazing, and now, "when everyone lives life with their eyes trained on their phones, my eyes are always on the skies." He started making videos and taking photographs of whatever caught his eye in the sky. One day, he managed to capture his first ever video of a UFO. From there, things only got weirder...

This book captured my imagination. My favourite TV series in my younger days was The X-Files, and I don't believe humans are the only intelligent life in the universe. Regardless of whether Taverner's tale is true or not, I found myself wanting to believe it. Taverner claims his UFO photographs, taken at night, are as bright as daytime photos. He believes this is due to the electromagnetic field generated by a UFO which makes it "shine". Scientifically, this makes sense, with the photoelectric effect well-documented online.

Taverner's writing style is straightforward, almost conversational, but unfortunately not well-edited. One example of repetitive English is: "The UFO was hovering in one place and rapidly changing colors. And then from hovering and spinning in one place, it suddenly began to fly around..." The second sentence could simply start: "Then it suddenly began to fly around..." Another sentence: "I was shocked beyond words when I played the video again and found - just as I expected - UFO" is contradictory, with "shocked beyond words" contrary to "just as I expected". Taverner also describes "invisible ships" as being "in the direct line of my vision", which makes no sense.

Though I wanted to believe, I became skeptical of the narrative in several places. Taverner talks about holograms in the night sky which went "unnoticed by everyone else but me", which seems a bit too convenient. He also claims to have photographed an "amusement park on a star", which I initially thought was just one of these holograms, until I read this: "About a week later of that amusement park star sighting, the first ever hologram appeared in the night sky..." No camera on Earth could photograph even the nearest star in such detail to make out this "amusement park", even if it could exist on a continuously combusting ball of fiery gas - which it couldn't.

Every picture in the book claiming to be a UFO or alien is so fuzzed and blurred that it is literally impossible to see anything that conforms to his claims. For example: "Alien with triangle eyes and a smile looking out of the main window on the first ship" is a blurred shot in shades of blue with the lighter outline of something resembling the window on a passenger plane. I couldn't make out anything at all within this outline, let alone a smiling alien with triangle eyes. At one point, he refers to his photography of alien faces as "so distinct that I could even see the whites of their eyes". But I see no evidence of this clarity in the published photographs.

Later in the book, he reveals that he took all the pictures on his cell phone because he didn't have the money for high-definition photographic equipment. That's fine, except if you're publishing a book to convince skeptics that aliens are real. The only two photographs in the book which are crystal clear are: "Evening sky while I was waiting for them to show up" and: "The Side of My Neighbor's House". There is nothing extraordinary or extraterrestrial in either of these photos.

As I said earlier, I wanted to believe the story in this book. However, based on the "evidence" presented, I cannot draw any worthwhile conclusion as to its veracity. I'm not saying Taverner's experiences aren't real, just that his book has not convinced me they are. I am going to deduct one star for the editing and one for the book's failure to provide decent evidence, giving Dino's World 2 out of 4 stars. Those with a keen interest in space and alien life will probably still like this book, but be aware that it needs editing and some more convincing photographs if Taverner wants it to be taken seriously as non-fiction.

Dino's World
View: on Bookshelves

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Cute front cover! I would want evidence too. Photos or something. Great review!
:tiphat:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I don't believe in ETs, but I do love stories about them, so I'd love to read this, whether the author's accounts are "real" or not. It is a shame about the repetitive writing, though.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The cover does not match what the book is about at all. I would have thought this was a children's book. I'm not really into UFOs or abductions or anything of the sort. So, I'll pass. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 10:26 Cute front cover! I would want evidence too. Photos or something. Great review!
Thanks! Yeah, it definitely needs better photos.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

MsTri wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 15:29 I don't believe in ETs, but I do love stories about them, so I'd love to read this, whether the author's accounts are "real" or not. It is a shame about the repetitive writing, though.
This book does need an edit, and some far more convincing photographic evidence. Thanks for commenting.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 15:46 The cover does not match what the book is about at all. I would have thought this was a children's book. I'm not really into UFOs or abductions or anything of the sort. So, I'll pass. Thanks, though.
Yeah, apparently one of the alien ships was piloted by a little blue dinosaur - hence the cover. I just need more conclusive evidence to be in any way convinced of Taverner's claims. Thanks.
aurofima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by aurofima »

When I saw the book cover I thought it was another children book about dinousaurs, but I was surprised that it was not. I do believe that life exists out of our blue planet, but I need evidence and credible stories about it. Thank you for your excellent review.
MrsPino777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrspino777.html
Latest Review: Common Sense and Reasonable Answers by Warren William Luce

Post by MrsPino777 »

The book cover is so misleading! I literally thought this was a children's book about dinosaurs. Turns out it's actually a book about aliens. I decided to snag me a free copy on Dino's World because I for a fact believe in aliens. I believe that there is a higher intelligence life form somewhere deep in space or even near our earth! The author's experience, his discoveries, his observations on these creatures existence has peeked my interest. I can't wait to give this book a read. Thanks so much for the great review!
MrsPino777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrspino777.html
Latest Review: Common Sense and Reasonable Answers by Warren William Luce

Post by MrsPino777 »

MrsPino777 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 16:43 The book cover is so misleading! I literally thought this was a children's book about dinosaurs. Turns out it's actually a book about aliens. I decided to snag me a free copy on Dino's World because I for a fact believe in aliens. I believe that there is a higher intelligence life form somewhere deep in space or even near our earth! The author's experience, his discoveries, his observations on these creatures existence has piqued my interest. I can't wait to give this book a read. Thanks so much for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”