Official Review: "The Eleventh Commandment; Dr. Davi...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: "The Eleventh Commandment; Dr. Davi...

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""The Eleventh Commandment; Dr. David Trucker"" by David W. Florence, M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Dr. David was six years old, a certain man who had become bothersome to his parents was murdered. The man’s body was found floating on Cuyahoga River in Ohio. As a young boy, he was curious about his parents’ reaction to the murder. However, his parents showed no concern. They had an idea about who had done it and everything seemed to work to their favor. What mattered most to them was that the man would not bother them anymore. David learned that bad things happen to bad people. From this lesson, he came up with The Eleventh Commandment. Well, you will have to read the book to know what the commandment states. Throughout the book, the author gives events that made him evoke the eleventh commandment to ease his mind. For instance, he witnessed Luke, a police officer, shoot a burglar who attempted to steal from a cashier. The thief died on the spot.

The author is 87 years old. In the book, he gives a series of events from his childhood, his career as a medical doctor, and other experiences in his personal life. However, this is not a memoir. He warns the reader that “some of the details in this book are completely factual, some are embellished, and some have an element of sheer fabrication.” Fortunately, I was able to figure out most of the real events from the fabricated ones.

I enjoyed the author’s style of writing. It is simple and easy to understand. He made the right choice of words when painting the scenes in the book. For instance, the scenes that were in his line of work as a physician were easy to understand since he did not use heavy medical terms. Another notable feature of the author’s creativity is the use of poetic words. He even wrote a poem to help the reader figure out whether he was able to attain true happiness after achieving tremendous success in his career. It was epic.

As an individual who witnessed the events of the Second World War, he did not disappoint in providing helpful historical facts about the war. Do you know how long it took to assemble a fighter jet during that time? You will be surprised to know the exact number of days from the author’s first-hand experience.

I also enjoyed the humor notes that the author has sprinkled all over the book. I could not help but laugh at some of the humorous scenes that the author wrote in the book. One of such scenes was when he became a nervous wreck while attending to Elizabeth Taylor. He forgot to place the earpieces of his stethoscope in his ears as he examined her chest. That had me cracking my ribs with laughter for quite a while.

The only downside of the book came towards the end. The author described his encounter with Mother Teresa. Apparently, Mother Teresa gave him “three little words” that he was to recite on a daily basis. I was curious to know what the “three little words” were. Unfortunately, the author did not give them in the book. Overall, I give The Eleventh Commandment by Dr. David Trucker 4 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading it. The book is professionally edited. I only noted one error. I recommend it to people who have difficulties in coming to terms with the bad things that happen to bad people. I have to warn the reader that the book contains some gory scenes of murders, accidents, and suicide cases.

"The Eleventh Commandment; Dr. David Trucker"
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does seem like there's quite a bit of humor sprinkled throughout this, which would make the book more enjoyable. I still don't think it's one I would enjoy. So, in spite of your stellar review, I think I'm going to pass. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

Sounds intriguing! The author has certainly lived a very interesting life. I love reading first-hand accounts of WW2, as the living accounts are becoming lost to just memories in my generation.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Quite an enthralling review. Although I will not support what the commandment states especially when it comes to the medical war and also based on what I have heard and witnessed. I hope the commandment does not apply to all because how could this be said of those who are suffering at the hands of oppressors?
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
JOSEPH JONES INKUM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JOSEPH JONES INKUM »

In what era he come to existence. Let think about the first revolution and link up to the Author age now with the country he found his in at the age of 6 and his level of IQ that time. It speaks deep and high think Dr. Check it will.
okikiflutist
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by okikiflutist »

:tiphat: Historically event and scene considered to be compared with current living, think of this to be fully expose in the book
KADIRISALIFU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by KADIRISALIFU »

I love the auhors stylish ways of writing look interesting &easy to understand ,DR DAVID TRUCKER is a good writer also creative in using poetic words i am very impressed in the authors work thank you .excellent review.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Indeed, the author has a unique style of writing.

Because he was able to use a tone of humour even in such a story filled with saddening events.

And it's great to know that only one grammar error was found. It deserved the rating.

Thank you for the review.
Books are lovely.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Interesting review. It makes me think of "you reap what you sow" which is the Biblical equivalent of karma.
chironwolf52
Favorite Book: Ask and It Is Given
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chironwolf52.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B002FQJT3Q

Post by chironwolf52 »

This sounds like a book worth reading. However, I will pass due to the overall tone of the book. I'm glad the author, at 87, is able to make sense of his life and express it well for posterity.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I perceive this author is very creative. I'm curious, what could be the eleventh commandment? I think I may read this book because of this.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds intriguing. I've recently gotten into podcasts that are part fact, part fiction, so to find it in book form is fun. The Elizabeth Taylor incident you mentioned sounds like amazing fun, so I'll add this to my want to read list to find out more about that and whatever else the author has to say.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around the experiences of an eighty seven years old surgeon who had ties with the underworld and was a undercover cop to boot sounds intriguing. The mix of facts and fiction adds to the intrigue. That it was well edited and full of humor is another plus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Such an interesting premise behind the book! Your engaging review did it justice. Thank you
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Bad things happen to bad people. That doesn't sound particularly profound, but the review of this book makes me believe there's more to this tale. The author tells true stories, embellished stories, and completely fictitious stories in order to make his point.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”