Official Review: New York Linked Up Part 1 Manhattan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: New York Linked Up Part 1 Manhattan

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New York Linked Up Part 1 Manhattan" by Colleen Katz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where can you see cats, dogs, llamas, goats, and elephants march down a church aisle? Which ice cream parlor packs 10 or more flavors into a $6.25 cone? Where can the whole family sail past the Statue of Liberty for free? How can you compete for $10 tickets to Broadway shows? These are just a sampling from the 23 attention-grabbing trivia questions at the beginning of New York Linked Up Part 1: Manhattan 2019: Your Forever Travel Guide on Your Phone by author Colleen Katz.

As promised in the title, the author provides an exhaustive list of resources at readers' fingertips in her sixth travel guide which features hundreds of linked entries for travelers headed to explore Manhattan. The book begins with brief directions for using the guide and its content which will remain current since the listings are linked online. The 20 chapters are organized by monthly events, points of interest, location, cost, and "what you need to know" sections. There is an entire chapter devoted to "Freebies," plus money-saving tips for everything from different hotel options, restaurants, bars, concerts, museums, and theater tickets. The author provides in-depth details for the best ways to get around town depending on your destination and covers the most economical options for MetroCards and train tickets, as well as walking, bike, bus, ferry, and helicopter tours. Also included are listings for historical churches, architecture, breathtaking gardens, tips for photographers, and the best places to take--or not take--the kids. Additionally, the author alerts readers to safety precautions and common scams. The book concludes with the answers to the trivia questions at the beginning of the book and also provides the addresses, websites, and directions for the attractions featured.

What I like most about this book is its comprehensive content. The author obviously loves the city and certainly did her research. Though I'm not one to travel much, there are two reasons this book especially appeals to me. First, I'm a planner, and second, I would definitely apply the author's money-saving tips. On a previous trip to Manhattan with my brother and oldest daughter, we could have really used a handy guide like this. I also appreciate that the book is quite user-friendly. With a single tap, information truly is at your fingertips. Additionally, many of the beautiful linked websites are enough to evoke wanderlust on their own--not to mention the abundance of restaurants featuring appetizing photos. To top it all off, are the author's tried and true tips that she's learned from experience. For instance, in reference to the rooftop bar, The View, she suggests, "To avoid the $8 cover charge, order drinks before 8 PM." Then, when recommending the mid-size ice cream cone from Amorino Gelato, "If the server asks how many different flavors you want, say at least 9. From lots of visits, I can tell you that the more different flavors you choose, the more ice cream you will get." Equally if not more important, is her list of public restrooms beginning with the one she describes as "NY's one-of-a-kind superb public bathroom with fresh flowers, classical music, and perfumed soap." Who knew? The guide is jam-packed with comparable nuggets of wisdom.

The only thing I disliked about the book was an inconsistency in the text color. Most of the entries were displayed with black text for the venue's name, address, phone number, and general information. If the attraction was free or included other special features, it was displayed in red text, while the links were underlined blue. This formatting was easy to read at a glance, accentuating both the special features and the links. However, there were random pages that were entirely in blue. Sometimes there might be two pages of all blue text consecutively; other times there were as many as five. Not only was this hard on the eyes, but when there was also underlined text that wasn't meant to be linked, it required several taps to locate the actual link. There were enough all blue pages that I found it distracting, as I feel travelers will as well.

Furthermore, though there were only a handful of grammatical errors, I noted too many broken (non-working) links to overlook. Therefore, as much as I liked the comprehensive content contained in the book, I am unable to give it a perfect rating. The author's disclaimer near the beginning of the book mentions the dilemma followed by "Beats me," which I find lacking. Since the book includes so many functional links, a better solution would be to omit those that aren't able to be corrected. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. However, editing the broken links and pages of blue text would easily bring it to the full four stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy traveling especially those anticipating a trip to Manhattan.

New York Linked Up Part 1 Manhattan
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This is so unique! I love the idea of having an insider tell me how to get more ice cream and which public restrooms are better than others. I have a dream to travel to this location one day, so this just might be the book for me to take a peek at next. What a great review..makes me want to jump on a plane with this book in hand!
Everything happens for a reason...
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

cpru68 wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 18:42 This is so unique! I love the idea of having an insider tell me how to get more ice cream and which public restrooms are better than others. I have a dream to travel to this location one day, so this just might be the book for me to take a peek at next. What a great review..makes me want to jump on a plane with this book in hand!
I thought the same thing. Thanks for your comment.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This looks like a very good travel guide. I also like the fact that it's very comprehensive and well-researched. I also hope all the trivia questions were answered in the course of reading this book. Thanks for yet another interesting review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 04:32 This looks like a very good travel guide. I also like the fact that it's very comprehensive and well-researched. I also hope all the trivia questions were answered in the course of reading this book. Thanks for yet another interesting review.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Cool! I am always looking for ways to save money on my trips. This sounds like a great guide. The formatting issues are odd, but they should be fairly easy to fix. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 19:11 Cool! I am always looking for ways to save money on my trips. This sounds like a great guide. The formatting issues are odd, but they should be fairly easy to fix. Thanks.
I agree that the formatting issues should be a simple fix, which will really streamline the appearance of the text. Thanks for your comment.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another insightful review! I love these types of guides, where extra helpful info is given - freebie, how to avoid scams, specific safety precautions, etc. I am going to take another look at this one on Amazon.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. I LOVE New York guide books and this one sounds quite good. I love that it is organized by month. That makes it really practical for the reader to use. Hopefully the font issues will be cleared up. Thanks for a perfect introduction to this book!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”