Official Review: The Dead Can Speak by Leah Hill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Dead Can Speak by Leah Hill

Post by Vscholz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dead Can Speak" by Leah Hill.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Leah Hill's The Dead Can Speak is a short memoir about the paranormal experiences she and her husband have had throughout their lives. Her husband Dylan is Heaven's gatekeeper, and she is God's translator. She has several instances in which she believes God speaks through her. This book recounts some of her encounters with ghosts, spirits, and demons, and she explains her role in communicating with them.

I read this book because I consider myself a Christian but I am also liberal in my beliefs, and I believe in the paranormal. I was curious to see how Hill reconciles her religious beliefs with her supernatural experiences. Unfortunately, Hill's beliefs are more far-fetched than I anticipated; even though I think she believes everything she is saying, she does not use the Bible to support her statements, which is what I would expect from someone claiming to be God's translator.

This short memoir reads as though the author sat down and wrote what came to her mind; she drafted the entire book on her phone, perhaps explaining the excessive errors. While that makes it easy to read because it is conversational, the multitude of spelling and punctuation errors paired with the lack of clear path makes it difficult to enjoy. I can tell that Hill believes in what she is saying, but her overall tone comes off as manic—she shares that she has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, thus explaining the tone. Hill is enthusiastic throughout, but the use of exclamation points seems to be more than periods, making it difficult for me to take her story seriously.

Mental health is an important and serious issue addressed in this book, whether it is a result of drug abuse or physical abuse. One of my close relatives has bipolar disorder, and many of her stories are similar to Hill's, although with different details. Because of my experiences with people with mental health issues, I continued reading because I wanted to read a first-hand account of something going through these experiences.

Overall, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. There were too many errors throughout the book to be able to give it a higher rating; it was almost as though Hill did not proofread it. I would recommend this book to people interested in psychology and the supernatural, but I would advise them that it is poorly edited and not cohesive. Otherwise, I would not recommend this book at all until it has been thoroughly edited and revised.

The Dead Can Speak
View: on Bookshelves

Like Vscholz's review? Post a comment saying so!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I do like paranormal books. It's a shame about the grammar errors. Great review!
:tiphat:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

As soon as you said that the author did not back up her claims with scripture, I knew this was not the book for me. You give sound reasons for the low rating you have given. I also have a family member with Bipolar Disorder. so I hope the author gets the help she needs. I like that your review, although critical, was also sensitive to the issues the author is facing. Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry, but this one is too out there for me. The author's beliefs would probably have me incredulous and possibly laughing out loud. And if you, being liberal, didn't enjoy it? I will definitely pass. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I would have loved to give this book a try but the number of errors present in it is very discouraging. Hence, ill take a pass on this one
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

This seems to be a bizarre and disturbing story. Even though I'm a little bit curious, the careless writing and editing really turn me off so I will not consider reading this book. Thank you for this detailed review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar

Post by Vscholz »

Thank you all for the responses. I truly appreciate them.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”