Official Review: Tofu From Scratch by Iris Blume

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Re: Official Review: Tofu From Scratch by Iris Blume

Post by EvaDar »

T_stone wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 17:07 I have friends and family members I'll be recommending this book to. The fact that it contains the steps to making tofu itself is a plus because I've always wondered how tofu is made. Thanks for the review.
I appreciate you stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

SpencerVo wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 21:41 I do not intend to go vegan, but I'm considering cutting down on protein from animal sources, so I hope this book will give me some great advice and recipes. Thanks for this review.
Yes, you certainly don't need to be a vegan to benefit from this book. Great tofu recipes are a big bonus. Thanks for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

KristyKhem wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 22:37 I love tofu! I'm not vegan but I fast from meat sometimes and tofu is my go-to meal. I prepare it scrambled, curried, stewed, and even add it to stir-fry veggies. I've never thought to prepare it from scratch, and I'd love to read this book. Thanks for writing such a great review!
I really like tofu as well. It's so versatile and absorbs marinades really well. I hope you enjoy the book.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 00:34 I have never had tofu. Maybe I'll try it. Thank you for the review!
I thought tofu was a bit weird the first time I tried it, but then learning the health benefits encouraged me to experiment with it in recipes. Now I love it and am glad to have a good substitute for animal proteins. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

gen_g wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 03:06 I love tofu; it's almost a staple in my diet. I have seen videos of its making, and it seems arduous, so kudos to Blume for making her own, definitely! I would certainly be interested in picking up her book for her recipes and her tips. Thanks for an amazing review, Eva!
Thanks gen_g. I love it too. It's so fun to marinate and bake. I love that baked texture. I'm looking forward to making some of the recipes in the book. Making it from scratch seems a bit involved for sure, but once you get a couple of specialized tools I think it goes pretty smoothly. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

inaramid wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 05:32 "Who knew Benjamin Franklin was the first person to make tofu in the United States?"

:) Wow. This sounds amazing. I like tofu but it seems like there's only so much you can do with it. I'm interested to see what Ms. Blume has concocted. Thanks for this review!
I'm learning that tofu is really pretty versatile. I've been amazed at the number of ways you can prepare it, and this book definitely enhanced my tofu wisdom. My latest favorite thing is to slice a block of tofu and marinate it, then bake it before adding it to a dish. Results in a great texture. I wonder what Ben Franklin's recipes would reveal! Thanks for stopping in inaramid.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 08:32 I admire the author for going to all the trouble to make her own tofu. I've tried tofu, and I just can't enjoy it. Therefore I don't think this is the right book for me. Thanks, though.
It's definitely bland in its original form. I've become good at making it taste more pleasant. I totally get it, though. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Ice dragon wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 04:35 Did you make any of the recipes from the book?
I really struggle with tofu, it falls apart as I cook it and leaves the meals looking like grey cat food. I should give this book a try to see where I'm going wrong.
I feel your pain! I used tofu that way for many years. Grey cat food. Then I learned about soft vs. firm and learned how to marinate and bake the tofu. When you bake it the texture becomes more solid and chewy. Really tasty. I didn't make any of the recipes from the book, but I plan to. Many of the processes and preparations I have done myself and know they are effective for bringing out the flavors. I make a dish very similar to the Coconut Curry Tofu dish. Yum. Thanks for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Cecilia_L wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 11:31 I don't think I've ever known anyone who made their own tofu. From your review, it sounds like the author did a great job. It's doubtful I'll ever become a vegan, but I enjoyed your review.
You are kind to read my review when you have no interest in tofu.:) Thanks so much, Cecilia!
-Nayyirah Waheed
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This sounds like an interesting topic. Still, I'm not eating soy because I know over-consumption of soy foods are not healthy, although I also know that vegans supplement their diets with it.

As a side note, I once tried to eat only vegan things, and by the end of the week, I was hungry all the time, I was feeling weak and slightly sick. I realized that there's no point pushing me in another direction. I'm a meat and potato person - always was and always will be :)
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kislany wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 01:36 This sounds like an interesting topic. Still, I'm not eating soy because I know over-consumption of soy foods are not healthy, although I also know that vegans supplement their diets with it.

As a side note, I once tried to eat only vegan things, and by the end of the week, I was hungry all the time, I was feeling weak and slightly sick. I realized that there's no point pushing me in another direction. I'm a meat and potato person - always was and always will be :)
I hear you. I generally feel better eating some fish and chicken, even though I eat mostly vegetarian. We are all so different and no diet is right for everyone. This book does address the research about the reported unhealthy properties of soy. The author had no attachment to tofu in the beginning and looked into the funding for the various studies. As with a lot of research, the results appeared to be skewed in the direction of the agenda of the funders, in both directions. And non-GMO and organic makes a difference also. So, like you, I tend to go with what makes me feel the best. Thanks for checking out my review and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like the clarity and simplicity aspects of the book. Maybe I will give it a try. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Cotwani wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 23:55 I like the clarity and simplicity aspects of the book. Maybe I will give it a try. Great review!
Thank you for dropping by and sharing a comment. I hope you enjoy the book.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Font issues can be really frustrating when reading on a Kindle. I am glad you still managed to read through and find all things good in this book.

Great review as always!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Samy Lax wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 23:02 Font issues can be really frustrating when reading on a Kindle. I am glad you still managed to read through and find all things good in this book.

Great review as always!
Thank you. I figured it might be the format that was affecting the font. I couldn't imagine anyone choosing such a light font for an important title. It wasn't really too distracting. Thanks so much for checking out my review.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”