Official Review: God, Brian Jones & Me - the Sixties ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: God, Brian Jones & Me - the Sixties ...

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God, Brian Jones & Me - the Sixties and the Rolling Stones Murder" by Gloria Shepherd.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

God, Brian Jones & Me - the Sixties and the Rolling Stones Murder, by Gloria Shepherd, comprises the author's life experiences. This narrative tells how Gloria, who grew up in a dysfunctional family, was abused emotionally, sexually, and physically by her mother during childhood. Also, it shows her life struggles from teenagehood to adulthood, without the guidance of her parents. Though she tries to narrate her ordeal in a light and amusing manner, this book reveals her inner sufferings. Telling about her education, jobs, and relationships, it shows her first marriage to a man that maltreated her, while emotionally abusing their two daughters.

Gloria once worked at the United Nations in New York City, and later became a rock band manager. Most of the book covers how she tried to cope with the challenges life was dealing her through her family members. The latter part of it is about how, decades after the demise of Brian Jones (the Rolling Stones founder and manager), Brian's spirit was communicating with Gloria because he wanted her to write about his life and death. Eventually, she wrote the book.

The author is a great storyteller. Her writing style is smooth and thorough. The book is well narrated and structured. Almost all of the events in it astonished me, and I found it difficult to close it occasionally. It's entertaining, but some events are pathetic and spellbinding. Before now, I didn't realize that such things could happen to just one person. Those are experiences that could make one lose their mind. I wasn't surprised when, somewhere in the story, Gloria sought solace in alcohol and lost the will to live twice, but she was saved afterwards.

Featuring different kinds of domestic abuse, this publication is not ideal for any faint-hearted person, who has ever gone through any form of abuse. It might trigger negative memories. Gloria had a lot of family trauma, and she was helpless. Whereas she stood up for herself a couple of times, most times, she couldn't defend herself. She just accepted whatever her mother, husband, and daughters dealt her.

Furthermore, Gloria loves animals, especially cats, dogs, and horses. Throughout the book, she tells how she often rescued stray cats and then found homes for them. Again, she writes about how she was involved in horse training and participated in National Stock Show, Colorado. No doubt, animal lovers will appreciate this aspect.

Overall, the book is engaging; however, some of the personal stories are weird. It consists of some grammatical and typographical errors. For example, "...when the she came home from work" and "...his fifteen-year old daughter." I rate the narrative 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it 4 stars because it needs another round of editing, and I couldn't rate it lower because it's intriguing. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading fascinating non-fiction books, which involve domestic abuse and paranormal activity.

God, Brian Jones & Me - the Sixties and the Rolling Stones Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

The book sounded depressing at first, but I like that there is some paranormal in it. Great review!
:tiphat:
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

Sound really depressing. But I think it's a really good read for me. I would try it.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds really fascinating, as the author seems to have lived a full life, despite the setbacks encountered. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds a bit too out there for me. However, the author sure has been through more than her fair share of trouble. It seems like she was able to move on and still make something of her life. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Laura3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura3.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Laura3 »

Thanks for the review. I have a vague idea of the book, yet it seems fascinating.
Northangel
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Northangel »

It truly is astounding just exactly how much adversity one human being can be subjected to in one lifetime, and yet, still be able top keep moving forward in life.

The book sounds like a "heart strings plucker" as I like to refer to them. A good, solid, relatable story that is written in a smooth familiar style reminiscent of good friends and familiarity.

I confess that the reviewer's statement that it is a feminine gender that is responsible for the abuse, in any form, that has me most intrigued.

Thank you for a nicely written, objective review. I do believe I have found my next book to read at home.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”