Official Review: Sanguine-love by Iva Schubart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Official Review: Sanguine-love by Iva Schubart

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sanguine-love" by Iva Schubart.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Iva Schubart’s Sanguine-Love is a motivational self-help book which aims to help readers overcome life’s challenges. Split into two major sections, the first section details the first fifty years of her life in Egypt, the Czech Republic and the Netherlands, and the second tells of her life after fifty. This second section is where one will find most of her advice on how to transform one’s life for the better, to achieve sanguine-love by cultivating the proper mindset.

Coming in at a short 184 pages, this is not only a fast read, but also an easy-to-digest one. In the first half, Schubart analyses the first part of her life, trying to understand what went wrong. There is much introspection on her part in this section, and she leaves no stone unturned when doing so. Moreover, there is a strong thread of sincerity and authenticity present throughout, which I very much appreciated. I was therefore able to fully immerse myself in the story, and despite coming from a vastly different background, I was also able to relate to her struggles.

The second half is where the reader will find most of her advice to work towards a better life. This includes tips on how to form new habits and a healthier diet, as well as various step-by-step exercises at the end of each chapter to kickstart the reader’s journey towards emotional and mental recovery. Furthermore, another plus point is that these exercises are presented in a succinct and clear manner.

What I found especially touching was Schubart’s likening of the process of achieving self-love to the timeless processes of nature, to life itself. For example, she teaches the reader that forging a connection with nature is one step towards recovery, be it incorporating a daily walk through the park or even to sleep an extra hour to let the body rest. It resonated with me deeply, and I believe that it would help many a reader along the process of positive transformation.

However, as for the writing quality, Sanguine-Love is unfortunately riddled with numerous grammar and syntax errors, which detracted rather significantly from my reading flow. This might be due to the fact that there has obviously been no professional editing done, coupled with the fact that English is not Schubart’s first language.

In addition, the book is also slightly messy in terms of formatting. Much of the first section could be tightened and focused, as the writing tended to ramble, which had the effect of breaking one’s immersion. Also, whilst there are quotes from many renowned people included before the start of most chapters, some of them are inserted suddenly into the body of the text, which makes it a little jarring. There are also a few incomplete footnotes present, and this is disappointing.

Therefore, I rate Iva Schubart’s Sanguine-Love 3 out of 4 stars. I decided to round it up from 2.5 stars as the book, whilst unpolished, has vast untapped potential. If the author works with an editor to iron out said issues, Sanguine-Love would definitely shine even brighter. Lastly, I would recommend this to those who are seeking/determined to change their physical and mental state for the better. However, do note that there are mentions of child abuse, domestic violence and sex abuse.

Sanguine-love
View: on Bookshelves

Like gen_g's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors and the formatting. This sounds like an interesting combination of memoir and self-help. It looks like it has a good bit of advice, if it's polished up a bit. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

hmm! the book sounds interesting and a genre I would love reading. but it's mistakes and errors are pathetic.
good job on your review.
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 15:06 It's too bad about the errors and the formatting. This sounds like an interesting combination of memoir and self-help. It looks like it has a good bit of advice, if it's polished up a bit. Thanks!
Thanks for leaving a comment! (: I did enjoy reading it.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sunday diamond wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 16:15 hmm! the book sounds interesting and a genre I would love reading. but it's mistakes and errors are pathetic.
good job on your review.
Thanks for the comment! If you decide to pick it up, I hope that you will enjoy it.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I like that there are exercises at the end of the chapters. As far as self-helps go - I think when author's give actionable advice, it shows how much they care. But I don't really read self-help books, so what do I know.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Bianka Walter wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 02:40 I like that there are exercises at the end of the chapters. As far as self-helps go - I think when author's give actionable advice, it shows how much they care. But I don't really read self-help books, so what do I know.
Great review!
The exercises are a great help; I agree that it really did show how much the author cared. Thanks for stopping by always, Bianka!
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I never tried this genre. I would not even try this for the errors. You have provided a really amazing review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 01:49 I never tried this genre. I would not even try this for the errors. You have provided a really amazing review.
Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like it has some great themes. I enjoy reading about people on the journey to wellness.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

teacherjh wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 14:40 This sounds like it has some great themes. I enjoy reading about people on the journey to wellness.
It really does. Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like the front cover of the book. I also like that you get to know the author well. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 23:41 I like the front cover of the book. I also like that you get to know the author well. Thank you for the review!
Thank YOU for stopping by, I appreciate it!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like an ideal read to me. The lifestyle described in this book is kind of a lifestyle that I wish to have. Definitely worth reading. Thank you for your review, Gen-g!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 05:49 Sounds like an ideal read to me. The lifestyle described in this book is kind of a lifestyle that I wish to have. Definitely worth reading. Thank you for your review, Gen-g!
I certainly hope you enjoy it, Sahani! Thanks for stopping by always, I appreciate it! :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”