Review by JordanKSmith -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
JordanKSmith
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by JordanKSmith -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head ...

Post by JordanKSmith » 05 Dec 2018, 18:08

[Following is a volunteer review of "If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's is written by Mark L. Wdowiak. This treasure trove of wisdom shows you the mental framework for success. It is a blunt dose of reality that gives you the opportunity to develop the awareness you will need to pull yourself from a life created by a habit of excuses. It is a choice to stop giving your power to decide your fate to your outside influences. Mark teaches his readers that they must create an internal world of success before any external success can be achieved.

This isn’t the largest book, but it doesn’t need to be. It has one message. You are the king or queen of your court, and your choice to rule your kingdom will determine the prosperity of your land. He supports this message with three points of action: take responsibility for yourself; take control over your thinking; take action on your behalf. These points of action are presented as a logical progression of cause and effect.

There are some fantastic lessons in this book. After reading it last night, I realized I had written down seven pages of notes. I rarely take more than one or two pages of notes on books twice this one's size, so that should give you an idea of how important I believe it to be.

Let me give you an example. The section on taking responsibility is a lesson that I have been learning over the last few years. The support systems that we create have a sneaky way of doubling as our cages. The author delves deeply into this topic within the chapter called “Obligations vs. Responsibilities.” It shows that our paradigms are the structure of our worlds, and then we fill those worlds with friends that support that system. When we choose to grow and move beyond those cages, we sometimes have to leave those within that system behind.

I appreciated Mark’s honesty. He used several examples from his teenage years to show the disadvantage of the wrong way to fulfill your dreams, and how that wrong way affected him. Most of those stories ended with success after he implemented the correct approach. It was an excellent way to connect to the reader while emphasizing the effects that each mindset creates.

I really enjoyed the writing. It was clear, albeit a bit repetitive. Most of the chapters were slight alterations of the same theme, but I believe it was necessary to properly deconstruct the lesson. Breaking it down section by section makes it easier to fit and integrate those pieces into your life. It maintains the proper resolution of this paradigm issue so that you can clearly see how it applies to your reality and your personal vision of success.

On the negative side, I feel that some opportunities were missed. Many psychological trials have studied motivational behaviors that are directly applicable to a book with this message. Psychological studies would have been a simple and objective way to support his argument regarding the fact that the inner world reflects the external reality. In its defense, the book did contain personal experiences that did a great job of proving his point. I don't consider this to be a cause for deduction from the overall score. I am reviewing what he wrote. I am not reviewing what he didn’t include.

I’m giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I believe the repetition serves as necessary punctuation to the lesson so that it will be remembered. The book was wonderfully edited. It also fulfills its objective to shed light on mental patterns that siphon the fuel from your ambitions. The only gripe I had shouldn’t be deducted from the score since it was just a preference. I’m glad that I read this book, and I believe I will pick it up again in the future.

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's is perfect for anyone that has grown tired of not seeking the full expression of their potential. The lessons contained inside this book are vital to set yourself up for success. It is an effortless read, and could easily be understood by an average teenager.

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JordanKSmith's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”