Official Review: Leading From Your Best Self by Rob Salafia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Leading From Your Best Self by Rob Salafia

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Leading From Your Best Self" by Rob Salafia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Be present. Be bold. Be vulnerable. Be authentic. Be your Best Self.” These are some of the key principles author Rob Salafia hopes readers will take away from his book Leading from Your Best Self: Develop Executive Poise, Presence, and Influence to Maximize Your Potential.

With a background in the performing arts, the author is currently an executive coach of the mid-career MBA program at the Massachusett's Institute of Technology (MIT). He builds upon the Best Self concept by drawing from his professional experiences in theater and business and further engages readers with the personal stories of clients he has coached, reflective questions, and simple activities. Readers learn how to apply core concepts such as Trials by Fire, Signature Stance, Playing to Be Heard, and Breath-Connect-Land as well as practice the apprentice model of learning, congruence, landing, and non-verbal signals of presence. The book's 13 chapters equip readers with tools for being extraordinary by learning to cultivate personal intrinsic gifts, expand through pressures and conflicts, transition through relating, and tell their story while actively listening to others' stories. The author stresses adopting the mindset of an authentic artist who strives for excellence rather than perfection.

This informative guide is organized, well-written, and provides a wealth of information. The author suggests that readers may either read the chapters in order of relevance to them personally or chronologically according to their needs and preference. Based on his suggestion, I intentionally read the chapters in a somewhat random order and found the content was structured in a way that the author's assertion was accurate. I found no gaps or inconsistencies, and the author's inclusion of an aerial view summary at the beginning of the book and “Final Thoughts” chapter at the conclusion insured that all points were adequately covered. While some readers may find the summarizations and recaps repetitious, I understand their purpose in this type of book.

What I liked most about this book was that though it was directed at business leaders, much of the content was applicable to personal development and relationships in general. I found this to be particularly true in the 7th chapter which contrasted performing and authenticity. With learning to lead as an authentic artist being the end goal, the author referenced these quotes. "To be nobody but myself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make me somebody else, means to fight the hardest battle any human can fight, and never stop fighting." e.e. cummings. Also from psychiatrist Anna Yusim, "It's my belief that cultivating authenticity in one's life is a necessary pre-requisite not only for being a stellar performer but also for living a fulfilled life," and "Aligning with authenticity in your daily life is a choice you make minute-by-minute, day-by-day." Though not always my cup of tea, I also appreciated the author's reflection style questions, as in this instance, I can see the connection they provide for readers.

There really wasn't anything that I didn't like about the book. It was well-executed and professionally edited. I noted only two errors that involved incorrectly hyphenated words on the same page, leaving me to wonder if they might be related to a formatting issue. I'm pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who desire to improve their leadership skills both professionally and personally.

Leading From Your Best Self
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that you can read the chapters as they are most applicable to you, and it still makes sense. However, I'm not really looking for another self-help book right now. Still, I'm glad that you were able to learn from it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 08:34 I love that you can read the chapters as they are most applicable to you, and it still makes sense. However, I'm not really looking for another self-help book right now. Still, I'm glad that you were able to learn from it. Thanks.
That feature really appealed to me, as well. Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

this is interesting and knowledge packed. but right now I do not need a self help book. kudus for this review
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sunday diamond wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 17:16 this is interesting and knowledge packed. but right now I do not need a self help book. kudus for this review
Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”