Official Review: Book of Sam by Peter D. Snow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: Book of Sam by Peter D. Snow

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Book of Sam" by Peter D. Snow.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book of Sam by Peter D. Snow recounts the conversations that the author had—over time—with his grandnephew about spirituality, the concept of sin, the over-glorification of science over art, faith, and intellectualism, and the depth of truth in popular religious catchphrases.

The author deals with how we get misled in our quest for discovering our own identity. The trend these days is to barter compliments for personal benefit. This certainly brings to mind what happens even at the level of presidential policy today. The author takes you through some everyday instances that help us see for ourselves how hollow this entire exercise is. As the author shares his experiences, we realize that the original divine presence (aka God) sees us out and all we need to do is to turn around and listen. When this realization hits us, it becomes easier for us to get some relief from the weight of peer pressure, our own injured assumptions, and other people’s judgments. What remains then is a stillness…and a sense of peace.

There are many different aspects to this book; it is a journey leading to finding ourselves, of the importance of silence in many situations, and of how shame and guilt heaped on us by others affect us so greatly that it impacts health irreversibly.

Much of the book is centered around the actual meaning of terms such as the soul and the subconscious. I especially enjoyed reading about that special natural event the author experienced one fine morning that helped him take the reins of his life in his own hands (and which he passes on to us as a meditation practice we can all benefit from). This book teaches us to identify the integrity within ourselves and shows us how being a victim betrays the grace that God has offered us.

I particularly enjoyed the way the author has described how he came to the realization that women around the world are NOT sending out messages to the men by dressing up and wearing pretty accessories. I respect him for coming out with that in a book – I’ve not seen anyone deal with that topic so beautifully before this. Through some short excerpts from the Bible, the author discusses throughout the book about how God is not separate from us—his creations.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Even with some heavy themes, everything it touches upon has a positive tone. Initially, I was concerned that it would involve too much preaching and be depressing overall, but that was not the case. Not one bit. I was also worried that I would get lost with terms from the Bible as I am not familiar with the book—mostly due to the fact that I am a non-Christian. However, the author did well to make most of it clear. I do not feel like I missed out on anything important in the book, despite my ignorance of certain mentions of the gospels and related references.

It is impressive how well written this book is. Even though it jumps between a variety of topics, it is easy to keep track of all of the ideas the author is sharing. He manages to make the content flow, giving you enough time to digest each new idea and suggestion. The way the author writes is very open and relatable.

My rating for Book of Sam is 4 out of 4 stars. It is an excellent combination of a memoir and a self-help book. Not only will spiritual enthusiasts love it, but also those who love heart-warming stores and heartfelt suggestions from someone who cares about making a difference. However, if you have a low threshold for self-help books or religious references, this just might not be for you. I personally wouldn’t hesitate to check out the author’s next book and find out what more he wants to share with his readers next.

Book of Sam
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Though I think the content is somewhat heavy for me at the moment, I appreciate that the author approaches everything in such a positive way. That's definitely unique for a book such as this. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I'm going to pass for now. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

good job on your review. this is just my perfect type of book. I wish I'm given the opportunity to review it. Better still let me add it to my "want to read" shelve
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 08:37 Though I think the content is somewhat heavy for me at the moment, I appreciate that the author approaches everything in such a positive way. That's definitely unique for a book such as this. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I'm going to pass for now. Thanks.
Yes, positivity is definitely the strength of this book. Maybe you could pick this up some other time. It's sure to be worth your while.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Sunday diamond wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 17:10 good job on your review. this is just my perfect type of book. I wish I'm given the opportunity to review it. Better still let me add it to my "want to read" shelve
I sure hope you get to review it soon too!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

It sounds interesting, enough content to encourage interesting religious and philosophical debates. Looks like it's well worth a read
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Samy Lax wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 03:09 There are many different aspects to this book; it is a journey leading to finding ourselves, of the importance of silence in many situations, and of how shame and guilt heaped on us by others affect us so greatly that it impacts health irreversibly.
Shame and guilt are so debilitating. And I would be interested in finding out the author's perspective on silence. We don't allow for silence any more in our culture. I enjoyed reading your review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Ice dragon wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 15:41 It sounds interesting, enough content to encourage interesting religious and philosophical debates. Looks like it's well worth a read
You're right. A lot of discussions and debates could be inspired by the book. I found a lot of the thoughts expressed in this book to be impressive.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :greatweekend:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I do enjoy a good memoir from time to time, and this seems to be it. I particularly appreciate books which makes the reader think, and I'm glad that it is present in this. Thanks for the review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like the memoir-selfhelp approach and do not mind the spiritual angle. Im glad you enjoyed the book. I hope to pick it up sometime. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Eva Darrington wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 16:18
Samy Lax wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 03:09 There are many different aspects to this book; it is a journey leading to finding ourselves, of the importance of silence in many situations, and of how shame and guilt heaped on us by others affect us so greatly that it impacts health irreversibly.
Shame and guilt are so debilitating. And I would be interested in finding out the author's perspective on silence. We don't allow for silence any more in our culture. I enjoyed reading your review.
True silence is something that we look down upon these days. I think the author explains all his beliefs in the best way possible in this book. Truly worth a read.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :happy-sunshine:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

gen_g wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 02:34 I do enjoy a good memoir from time to time, and this seems to be it. I particularly appreciate books which makes the reader think, and I'm glad that it is present in this. Thanks for the review!
This book definitely does provide food for thought for days.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :text-thankyoublue:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Cotwani wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 23:48 I like the memoir-selfhelp approach and do not mind the spiritual angle. Im glad you enjoyed the book. I hope to pick it up sometime. Great review!
I sure did enjoy the book, and from out interactions before, I know you will surely enjoy it too. Do give it a try sometime.

And thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :gay-rainbow:
jomill08
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by jomill08 »

Nice, thorough review. This was the first one I’ve read on this site and seems like it fully demonstrates what is expected in a review. Thanks for your post.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I will check this out. I am not religious and tend to get turned off by books that come off as preachy. I enjoy aspects of spirituality and the fact that the author includes life experiences and it means more towards a self help tone, I think I will enjoy this. It is always nice to see subjects in a different light.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”