Official Review: Tilly's War by Roy E. Staggs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Tilly's War by Roy E. Staggs

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tilly's War" by Roy E. Staggs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tilly's War by Roy E. Staggs is an enlightening biography of one man’s heroic war efforts and his later struggle with Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Born in 1918 in Burkett, Coleman County, Texas, Tilleman Staggs knew hardship from a young age as he grew up during The Great Depression. In 1942, he enlisted and was inducted in the US Army in Abilene, Texas. He chose to serve in the Army Air Corps. After aerial gunnery school, he was assigned to the Raymond E. Morel crew. His assignments as a gunner would take him to combat in countries such as Italy, Romania, Austria, Germany and Hungary. By 1944, he had been in thirteen combat missions. By the end of the war, he would survive fifty missions escaping injury, POW camps and death. Back home, the effects of war would re-emerge and Tilly would struggle to drown the haunting experiences through alcoholism.

Tilly’s life story is deeply touching as it sheds light on the struggles of war veterans when returning to ordinary life. Tilly struggled to make sense of all what he had seen. He would have a hard time dealing with the haunting memories of the death of civilians who were victims of war like his own American people. Later, he would try to cope with the trauma through alcoholism which had devastating effects on his immediate family. Throughout his life, the effects of the war would play a major role in the way he lived his life and interacted with his wife and children.

I also liked that Roy E. Staggs shows the real feelings of soldiers during WWII. During his missions, there are times Tilly found it difficult to follow orders. Sometimes he would be forced to do things against his own will. He would watch masses of people die. Even though the Americans won, he remained conflicted and saddened by the death of people on both sides of the war. This reflects further on the futility of war where no party truly wins.

The author provides background details on Tilly’s missions which make it easy to understand the circumstances Tilly faced on each mission. He includes information such as the progress of the war at each stage and what each specific region faced during the war. He also includes Tilly’s feelings on various experiences. An example is an inclusion of Tilly’s concerns regarding the suffering of the Italians when he was assigned in the region.

The book is heavy with details and I felt that some would have been left out. Still, it is an amazing read that readers interested in biographies set in World War II will enjoy. The book may not be suitable for readers who do not enjoy reading war stories and the effects of war. Tilly's War is engaging, informative and emotionally touching. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Tilly's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Frest007
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Frest007 »

Good post sir!I love the way buckket coleman did despite all the challenges he is spotted out to be different which also tells me that no matter the situation we found our let's try to make the difference
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I hope in the end Tilleman was able to overcome the PTSD. This is a good and detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I've recently reviewed RVN by Tim Gringas which is also a war story, but focusing more on the realistic description of what was going on with an 18-year-old boy called Charlie during the Vietnam War. It would be interesting for me to read Tilly's story too especially since it is so much about the traumatic effects of war and less about its heroic or patriotic side so often used as a means of justification by various political leaders throughout history. Thanks for your engaging review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that Tilly was able to share his experiences. I think there should be more veterans who are bold enough to tell their stories. Most of us don't understand the aftermath of returning from a war. I'll have to put this on my list. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
young celeb
Currently Reading: Apollos
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by young celeb »

This is truly interesting and painful to see that mass of people died and alot of property.
It brings back past event and history that can never be forgetton.
i love this post.i hope to find more historical and educative book like 'tilly war'..
keep it up !

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”