Official Review: A Woman of Salt by Doris Willis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: A Woman of Salt by Doris Willis

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Woman of Salt" by Doris Willis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“You are the salt of the earth,” the Messiah tells His disciples in Matthew 5:13. In her book, A Woman of Salt, Doris Willis shows the importance and relevance of this statement in the life of the modern Christian woman. To get her point across, Willis quotes verses from both Testaments, as well as information from other sources. She outlines the characteristics of a salty and godly woman. Just to name a few: a salty woman thirsts for the Word of God, has the proper attitude for righteous living, and demonstrates a life submitted to Jesus Christ. Willis also discusses the danger of losing one’s saltiness, and what to do to get it back.

A Woman of Salt, fully titled, A Woman of Salt: Living a Life of Godly Influence in an Ungodly World, is a bible-study written for Christian women. To quote the author, “the purpose of this Bible study is to help women understand the call to be salt and how we are to live out this call daily.” The book is divided into five chapters, each dealing with a different aspect of the main topic. Each chapter is broken down into short lessons. This format makes it easy for the reader to process the information being taught.

My favorite thing about this guide is that each lesson comes with exercises. For one of the exercises, the reader is instructed to read a collection of scriptures and then write down the main theme of each. This exercise forced me to engage with the Bible, which I liked. Unfortunately, as I was reading this book on my Kindle, I could not do the exercises that required filling in. If you are considering buying the book, I would recommend buying the paperback. Other than that, I loved the simplicity with which Willis delivered this very important message. This is not the kind of book one reads from cover to cover and leaves alone. It’s the kind you keep next to your Bible and visit from time to time.

My only issue with the book is that there weren’t enough female role models from the Bible mentioned. Abigail is the only female whose story is studied in detail. All the other Biblical characters mentioned in the book are male. I was a tad disappointed by this. The Bible has many women of salt whose stories Willis could have used to drive the message of her book home.

I rate A Woman of Salt 3 out of 4 stars. I would have loved to give the book a perfect rating, but it had multiple editing errors, especially towards the end. For example, the author sometimes capitalized the pronoun ‘him’ when referring to God, but did not do so in other places in the book. A couple of words were also misspelled.

Despite these errors, I enjoyed reading this book. I recommend it to any Christian woman looking to understand how a “salty” lifestyle can positively impact her life, home, and community. Even though the book is written for women, I believe Christian men can also learn a great deal from it.

A Woman of Salt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ever_Reading's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great devotional. I love that the author includes exercises, but I agree about the role models. There are a lot of female role models in the Bible; it's too bad the author didn't discuss more of them. Still, this is worth looking into! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

A Woman of Salt, fully titled, A Woman of Salt: Living a Life of Godly Influence in an Ungodly World, is a bible-study written for Christian women. To quote the author, “the purpose of this Bible study is to help women understand the call to be salt and how we are to live out this call daily.” The book is divided into five chapters, each dealing with a different aspect of the main topic. Each chapter is broken down into short lessons. This format makes it easy for the reader to process the information being taught.
This sounds like a Bible study I would really enjoy. Thanks for the excellent review. :tiphat:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 08:33 This sounds like a great devotional. I love that the author includes exercises, but I agree about the role models. There are a lot of female role models in the Bible; it's too bad the author didn't discuss more of them. Still, this is worth looking into! Thanks.
It is quite a great devotional indeed. Thanks for dropping by with a comment! :wink:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Cecilia_L wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 09:31
This sounds like a Bible study I would really enjoy. Thanks for the excellent review. :tiphat:
I hope you get to read it. I learned a great deal from it. Thank you for the kind comment. :D
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I agree with your point about there being so many good female role models (and not-so-good ones) in Scripture that I'm not sure why the author would use so many male characters in a book aimed directly at women. I loved your thoughtful review.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

This is not my kind of book. But I did love your review. It was really thoughtful. Keep it up!
mercylynne
Currently Reading: China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylynne.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by mercylynne »

This is the kind of book I would love to read,I like the part with the exercises a lot because I believe it will help me get a grab on many chapters in the bible.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I love the definition of a salty woman. It's ironic the author didn't discuss more salty women from the Bible, but all the same, I believe she found worthy models to back-up her lessons. This is a devotional I would love to delve into. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 00:57 I agree with your point about there being so many good female role models (and not-so-good ones) in Scripture that I'm not sure why the author would use so many male characters in a book aimed directly at women. I loved your thoughtful review.
Exactly my point. There's a wide range of female Biblical characters to choose from. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment! :D
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 01:44 This is not my kind of book. But I did love your review. It was really thoughtful. Keep it up!
That's alright. Thank you for you kind comments :wink:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

mercylynne wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 04:03 This is the kind of book I would love to read,I like the part with the exercises a lot because I believe it will help me get a grab on many chapters in the bible.
Oh yes indeed it will, my friend. I hope you get around to reading it! Thanks for dropping by! :tiphat:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Cotwani wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 04:28 I love the definition of a salty woman. It's ironic the author didn't discuss more salty women from the Bible, but all the same, I believe she found worthy models to back-up her lessons. This is a devotional I would love to delve into. Great review!
The role models she did include were definitely worthy to back-up her lessons. But yeah, including more females would have made it easier to see how the lessons apply to the female perspective. Thank you for the lovely comment! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really great resource for the book's target audience. However, it is really a pity about the editing errors. Thanks for the detailed review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not into this sort of books. But I like your review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”