Review by holsam_87 -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Out...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
holsam_87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 355
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by holsam_87 -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Out...

Post by holsam_87 » 01 Dec 2018, 21:40

[Following is a volunteer review of "If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak is a no-nonsense guide to happiness and success. The writing style is done in a way that tells the reader like it is. There is no beating around the bush, which is refreshing, to say the least. By reading this guide, I committed myself to learn other ways to achieve my goals in life.

Mr. Wdowiak is direct in saying that to reach what people strive for, it all comes back to how they live their life. The encouraging tone that he used had a much bigger impact on me than the usual by-the-book style that most self-help books contain. However, some readers might find the casual way that the author addresses the audience to be far too relaxed. I for one truly enjoyed this book, and I plan to find more positive ways to engage with my daily life.

One thing that may alienate readers is the author’s continued reference to his faith. While I understand that a lot of people share the same beliefs, there are more and more individuals that have converted to a different sect or they choose to not follow any ideology at all. This is just one thing that might make people avoid this book. There is one other area that I would like to make note of.

While a lot of people enjoy hearing about personal stories, there are some that prefer more practical ways to apply what they are learning. I was on the fence about this since I felt at times that the stories could have gotten to the point sooner. Granted, it would have been nice to have some recap at the end of each chapter, so I see the benefit of stories. These are the only major issues that stood out to me as possible negatives of this book.

While reading through this book, I highlighted so many points that the author made because it was the only way I'd remember them all. I enjoyed all of the tidbit information from the landmines, interesting facts, and other side details. This indicated to me that the piece was emended and checked thoroughly. I didn't find any errors, which really makes me feel glad.

It is with these considerations that I give If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak 4 out of 4 stars. It is within my schema now to approach life and challenges differently. Unfortunately, things will take a while due to my own personal challenges. Building upon the schemata that I have will hopefully help in changing my thought process from worrying to believing I can do things.

This book doesn't undermine the problems that those with mental health issues have, it gives the necessary skills for others to build upon. Thus, I recommend this book to anyone striving to have a more positive outlook. It will be a big step for others to remember that they are only responsible for themselves. Changing how metacognition works for an individual will benefit their life too.

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like holsam_87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”