Official Review: Me and Mario by Carol Gino

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Official Review: Me and Mario by Carol Gino

Post by KRay93 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Me and Mario" by Carol Gino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Me and Mario: Love, Power & Writing with Mario Puzo, author of The Godfather by Carol Gino is a memoir that narrates the coexistence, love, and creative collaboration between Carla Gino and Mario Puzo. In this book, Carol offers us a raw insight of her intimacy with one of the most renowned writers, as well as her experiences in their travels together to New York, Hollywood, Las Vegas, Cannes, Venice, Rome, and Sicily. Additionally, she decides to share the advice she received from her literary mentor, which allowed her to complete her first work, The Nurse's Story, and launch a successful career as a writer that led her to become a New York Times bestselling author.

When Gino met Mario, she was a 37-years-old nurse who was ending her second marriage. She had assisted the Puzo family during the hard battle against cancer that Erika, Mario's wife, had to face. After her death, Carol promised her that she would take care of the family, and while a connection was formed between them, their differences limited the scope of their relationship. After all, neither was particularly ripe for a new romance, Mario was almost 20 years older than her, and while he was a romantic patriarch, Carol was a radical feminist. Even so, their bond became increasingly strong, resulting in a relationship that lasted for 20 years until Mario's death.

In the book, Mario tells Carol that her greatest strength when it comes to writing is the dialogue. Without a doubt, Ms. Gino knows how to carry out forward her work thanks to the conversations between the protagonists of this book. Love, writing, relationships, power, equality. Every talk between Mario and Carol is a pleasure to read, a way to discover the true nature behind these two authors and to understand the raison d'être behind the love story of such diverse persons. I was particularly fascinated by their conversation about power in relationships and the decline of traditional marriage.

As for the prose itself, Mrs. Gino definitely knows how to tell an entertaining story from honesty and humor, conveying a wide variety of emotions in an informal tone that fits this book perfectly. One can definitely empathize with her when she relates her discomfort when big events with famous people take place, or her concern when Mario does not pay attention to his health. The editing work is pretty good, although it misses some double quotation marks in dialogues along with a few interrogation marks. At any rate, these issues do not move the reader away from the reading flow.

Despite these minor editing issues, I have no complaints about this book. Each of the memories narrated by the author are vivid and engaging. Even if some of the pieces of advice that Mario provides throughout the text are most likely already known by aspiring writers such as myself, they have no waste whatsoever. Honestly, I see no reason not to give this book anything less than 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it particularly to those who seek to read romance stories between two opposite people and those who want to know a little more about the life of a published writer, although some specifics have changed over the years.

Me and Mario
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like KRay93's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A romance story between two authors of diverse beliefs sounds very interesting to me. Having to strike a balance between their personalities and love life is what I'll look forward to reading in this book. Although I'm not so much into romance, I think I'll try this one out. Thanks for the summary.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Ricky 7
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ricky-7.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ricky 7 »

I really loved the review its an impressive one. Despite that nothing of any sought from this novel can actually make me go through it, this the fact that am really not a fan of romance. So I'll have to pass this one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I know it'll come as a shock, but I've never seen The godfather. I'm not really interested in it and thus am not interested in this book. Thanks, though. I'm sure it'd be interesting for those that are fans of it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This sounds like a unique romance story, one that was not imagined but existed in real life between two dissimilar people. Love conquers all at the end of the day. Thanks for writing such a splendid review on this memoir :)
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds a fun book to read. It's a romance that I would enjoy reading about. Thank you!
:tiphat:
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I recommend it particularly to those who seek to read romance stories between two opposite people and those who want to know a little more about the life of a published writer, although some specifics have changed over the years.
This piece reminds me of how the written word became the bond that tied me and my husband together more than 17 years ago. I'm yet to write my own book in the next decade or so, though. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This sounds like a really interesting account of a little-known story. I'm hooked after reading your review. Puzo was an intriguing character, and I'd love to find out more about him.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”