Official Review: Life as a Masterpiece by Cathy Christen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
inaramid
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Official Review: Life as a Masterpiece by Cathy Christen

Post by inaramid » 29 Nov 2018, 22:59

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life as a Masterpiece" by Cathy Christen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you living the life you love? If you answered no, maybe you have one (or more) of these four common problems noted by speaker, author, and direct sales trainer Cathy Christen: 1) you don’t know what you can really do, 2) you think you have plenty of time, 3) you’re angry and bitter at the world, or 4) you lack confidence.

In Life as a Masterpiece, Christen seeks to address these problems and equip readers with tools to “design and live a life [they] love today.” First, Christen grounds readers in the what and why of their actions. At the core, it’s all about knowing yourself — your abilities, talents, goals, and dreams. Christen reinforces the “power of writing things down,” sharing a design exercise that was as fun as it was insightful. Christen then proceeds to guide readers in crafting concrete steps toward their goals, making a very compelling point about the value of “scaring the crap out of yourself.” Finally, Christen delves into the elements of success, with particular emphasis on a positive environment, self-care, social support, and resilience in the face of obstacles.

Christen’s incisive observations set a brisk, purposeful tone for this self-help book. The discussions are well organized, and the author’s train of thought is remarkably clear. Christen has a way of cutting to the heart of the matter, with none of the superfluous information that tends to bloat other books of this nature. She tells real-life stories; she consolidates and simplifies what she learned from other sources; she instructs and guides. The conversational tone she adopts makes the writing very accessible. The book is also professionally edited and formatted, with only a number of barely noticeable typos.

After over a decade of coaching experience, it comes as no surprise how confidently Christen handles her subject matter. “I know these tools will work for you,” she says, “because they’ve worked for me and thousands of others.” I heartily agree. Reading the book is like getting a personal life coaching session. At the end of it, I felt uplifted, energized, and enlightened. It’s short enough to be perused in one sitting, but I’d recommend setting aside a day or two to fully immerse yourself in the exercises that the book offers.

Life as a Masterpiece seems specifically targeted toward the types of clients that Christen has worked with in the past — young entrepreneurs and people who are transitioning to the “real world.” I can see it as an excellent resource material for career counseling and guidance, especially for graduating high school students. Adults struggling with changes or crises in middle age (e.g., resigning from a job, re-entering the workforce) may also find solace and clarity in Christen’s words. The tools she provides will help them reevaluate the direction they’re taking and hopefully get them back on track. Filled with practical tips and actionable steps, I rate Life as a Masterpiece 4 out of 4 stars.

Life as a Masterpiece
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 24 Jan 2019, 08:31

I'm definitely several of the things listed above. I do struggle with knowing exactly what I can do and what would make me happy. Perhaps this book would help me to figure that out. I might have to try it, especially with some of the exercises and the fact that it's professionally edited. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 24 Jan 2019, 17:55

I am willing to bet almost all of us fall into one of Christen's four problem categories. Having exercises available in these types of books is imperative to the self-improvement process. I prefer the bloat-free style in every aspect of my life. :) This sounds like my kind of self-help book!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 24 Jan 2019, 19:18

The exercise to discover who you are and what you want to do hits the nail on the head. So many self-help books encourage you to be who you are but don't give concrete help to people whose confusion starts with this first step! I think this author truly understands people's needs. Thanks for the motivating review.

inaramid

Post by inaramid » 25 Jan 2019, 22:23

kandscreeley wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 08:31
I'm definitely several of the things listed above. I do struggle with knowing exactly what I can do and what would make me happy. Perhaps this book would help me to figure that out. I might have to try it, especially with some of the exercises and the fact that it's professionally edited. Thanks!
Yes! I've read a few self-help books from this site, and this is the best one I've come across so far. Hope this helps you too.

Jessacardinal wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 17:55
I am willing to bet almost all of us fall into one of Christen's four problem categories. Having exercises available in these types of books is imperative to the self-improvement process. I prefer the bloat-free style in every aspect of my life. :) This sounds like my kind of self-help book!
It is such a concise way of putting it. The author's experience really comes through here. I think you'll also love the references she makes to other seminars/books/training sessions she's read/been through. Thanks for dropping by!

kdstrack wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 19:18
The exercise to discover who you are and what you want to do hits the nail on the head. So many self-help books encourage you to be who you are but don't give concrete help to people whose confusion starts with this first step! I think this author truly understands people's needs. Thanks for the motivating review.
Totally agree. This is one of the things I liked about the book - concrete steps. Thanks for dropping by!

gen_g
Currently Reading: I, Claudia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Just Drive by Deke N. Blue

Post by gen_g » 29 Jan 2019, 02:42

This sounds like such a great resource for both career counsellors and young adults entering the workforce! It's always a pleasure to read a well-constructed book. Thanks for the review, Inaramid!

inaramid

Post by inaramid » 29 Jan 2019, 06:21

gen_g wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 02:42
This sounds like such a great resource for both career counsellors and young adults entering the workforce! It's always a pleasure to read a well-constructed book. Thanks for the review, Inaramid!
It is! Thanks for dropping by!

Sabena Lemoine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sabena Lemoine » 01 Feb 2019, 17:18

This book is to show or test our self or our ability in all aspects on how to handle life for good and bad times.

inaramid

Post by inaramid » 02 Feb 2019, 02:14

Sabena Lemoine wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 17:18
This book is to show or test our self or our ability in all aspects on how to handle life for good and bad times.
It is quite helpful. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”