Official Review: The Bible in a Nutshell by Dele Babalola

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: The Bible in a Nutshell by Dele Babalola

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bible in a Nutshell" by Dele Babalola.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Dele Babalola used to be an atheist. But in 1987, after heeding a divine leading to read the Scripture passages in Galatians 5, he met Jesus in a powerful revelation. His life has never been the same. Today, he is burdened to share the gospel of Jesus Christ to bring more people into a relationship with Jesus, “the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6 of The Holy Bible). He wrote this book for both the Christian and the non-believer. He urges the former to remain true to the Christian calling and the latter to accept Jesus; the time to do both is now.

The book contains a digest of the entire Bible, highlights in the story of Jesus and His ministry, and a detailed explanation of the End Times from the Rapture to the coming of the New Jerusalem. Dele warns that the End Times are near; the signs are manifest in the world today.

Should we be afraid? Who will be saved?

The full title of the book, The Bible in a Nutshell: An Invaluable Aid to Understanding Creation, Life, The Rapture, End Times, Death and The Afterlife, sums up the book so well. I have always wanted to read the Bible from cover to cover, Genesis to Revelation. I have succeeded in reading Genesis and Revelation and a few other books in between. From the little I know, the synopsis given by Dele is wonderful. It contains the most important stories (including creation, the great flood and Noah’s ark, the liberation of the Israelites led by Moses, a sampling of fulfilled prophecies, the miracles and teachings of Jesus, and the cryptic messages in Revelation). He introduces Jesus and makes His messages of love and salvation known, with selected Scripture verses familiar to the devout and the not-so-devout. Those who are overwhelmed by the 66 books of the Bible (39 in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament) will find Dele’s book simple and clear. He offers an in-depth analysis of the End Times bolstered by his exhaustive research. The message to prepare for the impending doom is appropriately emphasized.

I am a Christian. I should be happy that Dele repeatedly declares that God favors the Christian and has a special plan for true Christians. Christians are reported to account for 31% of the world’s population; true Christians will naturally be a lower percentage. I believe in a God who loves all humanity without condition. I cannot imagine that this loving and merciful God will leave more than two-thirds of His beloved humanity in limbo. That is my major disagreement with the author. But faith is a personal matter, and I respect his beliefs.

Some topics are needlessly repeated. For instance, Noah and Abraham appear in both chapters three and four, and the End Times are discussed in chapters three, five, and seven to nine. Streamlining may help keep the reader focused. There are also some inaccuracies. Paul and Mark are included among the twelve apostles. The author misses two charismatic gifts of the Holy Spirit the first time these are mentioned. The dating of biblical events is a little confusing as some events are indicated as having transpired on two different dates without a good explanation. A few Scripture passages are misquoted.

Better proofreading is also needed. The table of contents has to be revised to show the correct page references. Misspellings, wrong punctuation, inconsistent capitalization, and unaligned text likewise need to be addressed.

I believe this book will be most appreciated by Christians, both true and untrue. The urgency of making the right decision is palpable. Let the Christians not waste their privilege as God’s favored people.

I personally would replace the term “a true Christian” with “a righteous person,” one who follows the way of Christ, which is the way of love. The greatest Christian commandment is to love God, and next to that is to love your neighbor. Everyone, not just Christians, can follow both.

For successfully condensing the Bible in a nutshell, painting an understandable picture of the End Times, and following the urgent call to bring others to salvation, but failing in the area of editing, this book merits 3 out of 4 stars.

“Today is the day of salvation, for tomorrow is not promised and may be too late!” – from the foreword written by Reverend Brian Bernard, paraphrased from 2 Corinthians 6:2 of The Holy Bible

The Bible in a Nutshell
View: on Bookshelves

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I suppose the term "a true Christian" does sound rather contentious. However, I do admire the author's drive and motivation; it's not easy to maintain that for a prolonged period of time. Thanks for the great review, Miriam!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Condensing the Bible is a mammoth task, so I applaud the author for his attempt. I hope he gets an editor on board soon because the book has potential. Thank you for the helpful review!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Hopefully, condensing the Bible into a more concise format will encourage more people to try and read it and familiarize themselves with the tenets of Christianity. One thing does disappoint me though: I would expect such a responsible job to be undertaken with more care and attention to accuracy. Not only the problems with proofreading, but more worryingly, the errors in the teaching would put me off this book. Outstanding review once again from you, Miriam. Many thanks.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

gen_g wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 02:22 I suppose the term "a true Christian" does sound rather contentious. However, I do admire the author's drive and motivation; it's not easy to maintain that for a prolonged period of time. Thanks for the great review, Miriam!
Thanks for the wonderful comment, as always! :tiphat:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Ever_Reading wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 02:43 Condensing the Bible is a mammoth task, so I applaud the author for his attempt. I hope he gets an editor on board soon because the book has potential. Thank you for the helpful review!
Thank you for reading and commenting. Dele is bent on saving souls plus bodies. We will all be resurrected, the sheep into eternal bliss and the goats into eternal fire.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

sonya01 wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 02:58 Hopefully, condensing the Bible into a more concise format will encourage more people to try and read it and familiarize themselves with the tenets of Christianity. One thing does disappoint me though: I would expect such a responsible job to be undertaken with more care and attention to accuracy. Not only the problems with proofreading, but more worryingly, the errors in the teaching would put me off this book. Outstanding review once again from you, Miriam. Many thanks.
The inaccuracies aren't too worrisome for me. As to who will be saved is the more critical aspect. In fairness to Dele, there are many different interpretations of the cryptic passages that talk about the End Times. Nobody knows when. We can only hope we will be ready.

Thanks for the kind words, Sonya01!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I, too, have wanted to read the Bible cover to cover. And, I, too, have not yet accomplished that feat. Still, I think I would rather keep striving towards it than simply reading what someone else thought was important. Though, I'm sure this book still has its merits. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ALFO-MU+254
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ALFO-MU+254 »

wow! this is the best review I have ever read. I think it will make many to know the way of the truth because its like a bible by itself and as it is in John 1:1 says' in the begining there was a word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. So, the bible itself is God talking to us. the review will make us all come close to God and He will come closer to us because truly today is only the day of salvation because no one knows what will happen next. So we should be closer to God all the time and do His will. we can only know His will if we have a habit of reading the bible everyday. Infact the title of the review should be "Today is the day of salvation" Thankyou.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ALFO-MU+254 wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 11:02 wow! this is the best review I have ever read. I think it will make many to know the way of the truth because its like a bible by itself and as it is in John 1:1 says' in the begining there was a word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. So, the bible itself is God talking to us. the review will make us all come close to God and He will come closer to us because truly today is only the day of salvation because no one knows what will happen next. So we should be closer to God all the time and do His will. we can only know His will if we have a habit of reading the bible everyday. Infact the title of the review should be "Today is the day of salvation" Thankyou.
You obviously share the author's passion to save souls. Thanks for your enthusiasm!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 08:55 I, too, have wanted to read the Bible cover to cover. And, I, too, have not yet accomplished that feat. Still, I think I would rather keep striving towards it than simply reading what someone else thought was important. Though, I'm sure this book still has its merits. Thanks for the information.
Thanks for the visit, Sarah! I hope we both accomplish that most-desirable feat.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Miriam Molina wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 16:55
kandscreeley wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 08:55 I, too, have wanted to read the Bible cover to cover. And, I, too, have not yet accomplished that feat. Still, I think I would rather keep striving towards it than simply reading what someone else thought was important. Though, I'm sure this book still has its merits. Thanks for the information.
Thanks for the visit, Sarah! I hope we both accomplish that most-desirable feat.
I have a Bible that is written in chronological order rather than in the standard order. It makes much more sense to me that way.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I personally would replace the term “a true Christian” with “a righteous person,” one who follows the way of Christ, which is the way of love
I will also find the term 'true Christian' a little offensive. I agree with you that "a righteous Christian" sounds better. I find your review very interesting and it has piqued my interest in reading this book.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

T_stone wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 01:58
I personally would replace the term “a true Christian” with “a righteous person,” one who follows the way of Christ, which is the way of love
I will also find the term 'true Christian' a little offensive. I agree with you that "a righteous Christian" sounds better. I find your review very interesting and it has piqued my interest in reading this book.
Thanks for visiting! I believe that God wants all to be saved as He loves each individual without measure.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

teacherjh wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 23:41
I have a Bible that is written in chronological order rather than in the standard order. It makes much more sense to me that way.
That would be nice to have. What version is this? Would they have an ecopy?

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”