Official Review: Empower Yourself for an Amazing Career

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Empower Yourself for an Amazing Career

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Empower Yourself for an Amazing Career" by Blanca M De La Rosa.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Your career is not defined by where you end up; it is not a destination. Your career is a journey that is assessed by your integrity, how you traveled that road, the stops you made along the way, the people you met and inspired to reach their full potential, and the lessons you learned." Blanca De La Rosa

In the aptly titled, Empower Yourself for an Amazing Career, author Blanca De La Rosa offers helpful insight and advice from her 30 years of experience at a Fortune 5 corporation. With 168 pages, this resourceful book is a relatively quick read that is organized, concise, and well-written. The author is refreshingly transparent regarding her own mistakes while encouraging others to learn from theirs as she shares her no-nonsense approach to empower and guide readers climbing the corporate ladder.

The book includes 11 chapters. The first three address defining success for yourself by listening to your inner voice, the pros and cons of choosing careers in large corporations versus smaller companies, the author's personal experience, and how she learned to "manage a bad manager." The fourth chapter includes the author's top ten principles for following a holistic approach based on her career experiences. Here, and throughout the book, she stresses personalizing the information by adhering to only what resonates with you as an individual. The chapters that follow deal with overcoming and learning from career failure while avoiding a victim mentality, effectively managing change, differences in leadership based on gender, and breaking the glass ceiling versus maintaining it with wrong attitudes. Also included are solutions for balancing family and career, business travel tips, and establishing a career road map that is updated periodically according to your goals and milestones.

What I liked most about this book was the author's passion for helping others, which was reflected in her writing style. As an immigrant from a small town in the Dominican Republic and raised in public housing in New York City, the author learned to excel when the odds were stacked against her. It's evident from her writing that she desires to help others do the same. She has a pragmatic approach, acknowledges that not all of the advice given will apply to everyone, and really emphasizes learning to trust your inner voice and intuition. According to her author page, she considers mentoring young women in her company her most rewarding role, which speaks volumes. I also enjoyed a section included at the beginning of the book titled "Pride of the Peacock" which detailed their interesting symbolism and significance and was also the inspiration for the book's cover.

The book is professionally edited, as I noted only two errors. With the excellent writing style, the wealth of information provided, and its skillful execution, I found no additional areas needing improvement. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to a wide audience ranging from recent college graduates seeking direction to those needing guidance for dealing with difficult managers or failed careers. The book will also appeal to readers who desire to improve their communication and leadership skills.

Empower Yourself for an Amazing Career
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The author seems like one of those who made her own way in the world. That makes her uniquely qualified for a book such as this. Nevertheless, I find it hard to read books such as this. I'm just not in that period of my life that I can make this type of advice work for me. So, I'll be passing. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 08:53 The author seems like one of those who made her own way in the world. That makes her uniquely qualified for a book such as this. Nevertheless, I find it hard to read books such as this. I'm just not in that period of my life that I can make this type of advice work for me. So, I'll be passing. Thanks, though.
I understand. Thanks for your comment.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

These are the important lessons they don't teach us in college. Sounds like a beautiful book on every level. The author's willingness to share her mistakes is invaluable. Thanks for the enjoyable introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eva Darrington wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 11:48 These are the important lessons they don't teach us in college. Sounds like a beautiful book on every level. The author's willingness to share her mistakes is invaluable. Thanks for the enjoyable introduction to this book.
Thanks for your comment, Eva.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

As a person who has made her way up in the business world, the author seems poised to write a book such as this one. It appears to be filled with helpful advice, tips, and strategies for others who may be starting out in their careers or needing a change. The advice and solutions for balancing family and career, business travel tips, and establishing a career roadmap should prove to be very useful. Thanks for the insightful review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Britty01 wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 17:45 As a person who has made her way up in the business world, the author seems poised to write a book such as this one. It appears to be filled with helpful advice, tips, and strategies for others who may be starting out in their careers or needing a change. The advice and solutions for balancing family and career, business travel tips, and establishing a career roadmap should prove to be very useful. Thanks for the insightful review.
Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Some lessons are bestvlearnt from others. The author's willingness to share her experiences will definitely help hundreds of other people. This is a book that everyone should read. Excellent review as always.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I appreciate the author's willingness to help others. Your excellent review intrigued me into reading this book. Thanks, Cecilia!
Lynnj
Currently Reading: The Eleventh Commandment
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Lynnj »

Empower yourself for an amazing career

Have read the sample of the book and am sure all corporate citizens both new and old in the corporate world need not to miss this book. It touches on what new corporates need in their journey to career success. It's true that new corporates need guidance and direction in their career journey and that our career success is not determined with our position in the work place and the experience we have.
I love this book,it's very empowering. Thanks to the author and congrats.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Very inspirational..i could not agree more with the author's arguments and points.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

A well-written, organized, concise guide for those who are interested in reading self-books! Plus, it is well edited! I am not a fan of the genre, so I will pass on this one! A must-read for non-fiction lovers. Thank you for the detailed review! :tiphat:
Adejumoke21
Currently Reading: The Mist Rises Over Notchey Creek
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Adejumoke21 »

Ive read this book and i was able to get plenty advice about starting a career, and also being able to make that balance in your career and family, excellent review and congrats on BOTD
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

She has a pragmatic approach, acknowledges that not all of the advice given will apply to everyone, and really emphasizes learning to trust your inner voice and intuition.
I think this is a great asset. I usually have a problem with self-help books that claim to show you how to be successful because I believe success means different things for everyone and not all of the advice applies to everybody because we're all different people, from different backgrounds and cultures facing different challenges.
The author seems like a great person and, although I'm usually not interested in this kind of books, I'd give this one a chance.
Great review, thanks!
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Indeed, the book looks professional and organised. It will be helpful to young people as they grow in their careers.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”