Official Review: Raised Up By Mrs. Manly and Her L's

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: Raised Up By Mrs. Manly and Her L's

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raised Up By Mrs. Manly and Her L's" by Sandra Evers-Manly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raised Up by Mrs. Manly and Her L’s by Sandra Evers-Manly is an inspirational picture book. The author’s mom raised her, her siblings, and many foster children to live by the letter L. This letter is the start of so many great words: love, live, lead, and many more. This book retells the lessons taught by Mrs. Manly for all of these “L” words that the author has been able to keep with her as an adult. Each page is devoted to a single word and the lesson that goes along with it.

I thought that this was a very inspirational book with great lessons to learn. I found myself really taking each of the lessons to heart. These aren’t new lessons; most of them have been taught to us at one point or another, but sometimes we all need to be reminded of some of the values we should be living by. This book does a great job of reminding people about those values.

The lessons included in this book are perfect for all ages. As I mentioned, I found the book to be a great reminder of what life is really about. I also think it would be a great teaching book for children. It could be read to them, or older children could read it themselves. I personally think that this would be a great book for parents to read one page from each day and create their own lessons to go along with it. Then it isn’t overwhelming to young children, but they are still getting the lessons. The format of the book was perfect for this method. Each page had the “L” word at the top followed by Mrs. Manly’s lesson for that word. Not only does this make it easy to read the book one page at a time, but it also made the topic of each lesson very clear.

I loved the pictures included in this book. The illustrator really paid attention to the details. The effort that was put into each one really makes the pictures shine. The illustrations did a great job depicting each of the words and the lessons. I liked that each page had its own color scheme and that all of the “L” words were colorful. Children will love looking at the pictures, as the pictures will help keep them captivated.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I thought it was well-written and inspiring, and it was well-edited. I only noticed one error throughout the entire book. It is a great book for really anyone of any age. Parents of young children will find it especially useful when trying to teach their children some of life’s most important lessons. I would recommend this book to anyone that wants a quick and inspiring read.

Raised Up By Mrs. Manly and Her L's
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A great inspirational book that teaches love, living life and leadership. It's simple and easy to understand by older children, and even adults. However, I don't think I'll read this one. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

How refreshing to read your lovely review of what seems to be a gently instructional book, inspired by an amazing woman. I'll keep this one in mind...
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like that there are many lessons that children can learn from. I also like that you get to know the author. Thank you.
:tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the cover! If all the illustrations are like that, I'm hooked already. It sounds like it has great lessons, and I love that the family is adopted. Nice to see a good children's book for once.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I'm curious as to how many L words there ended up being. I like your idea of doing one a day and really teaching kids many lessons that may or may not be included in the text.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What a really clever premise: a book based on words starting with "L." It's a great idea - fun to think of all of the great, inspiring L-words. Thanks for the fun review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”