Official Review: An Extraordinary Life by Daniel C Freeman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: An Extraordinary Life by Daniel C Freeman

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Extraordinary Life" by Daniel C Freeman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Extraordinary Life by Daniel C. Freeman is an amazing story of one man’s tenacity even in the face of prejudice, deception and disappointment.

In December 1944, while serving in the US Army during World War II, P. Frank Jr. walks into a drug store in Paris and is immediately taken by the charm of the lady in the store. In 1945, Sophie introduces P. Frank to her parents and they start a steady courtship. What starts as a promising relationship later turns into a tumultuous marriage. With P. Frank working in Frankfurt and Sophie still in Paris, the distance creates cracks in their marriage. Additionally, there is constant interference from Sophie’s mother-in-law. Sophie is also deceitful while P. Frank struggles to keep their marriage together. As an African American man, P. Frank faces prejudice in his work but his determination and patience do not waver.

The inclusion of the letters exchanged between P. Frank and Sophie just as they were, makes the story authentic. It was exciting as well as captivating to read the words that they used in their communication with each other. I was also able to understand the complexities of their marriage given all the obstacles they had to endure. It was interesting to read Sophie and P. Frank’s conversations with other people as well. Letting the letters tell the story made reading the book feel like stepping into the main characters’ shoes and reliving their lives.

I also loved that the story inspired me through P. Frank’s ability to fight to the end. In all the circumstances he faced, he did not easily quit. He was not afraid to speak his mind and fight for what he felt he deserved despite facing many accounts of racism both in the army and at work after the war was over. He also really fought for his marriage and was willing to forgive many times and even sacrifice his own comfort for Sophie’s.

An Extraordinary Life also gave me a glimpse into history and helped me appreciate what African Americans have had to go through as a whole. The painful times spent in the army coupled with discriminatory acts despite these men giving their lives for their country left me amazed at their loyalty to their country.

The letters are arranged in chronological order and the book is edited well. The title was a bit confusing at first since the main focus is P. Frank’s first marriage and not necessarily his experiences in the army or his later life. Still, I think that P. Frank Jr. lived an extraordinary life. This book is a must-read for readers who have an interest in relationships set during and after World War II especially accounts that include African Americans struggles against racism. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

An Extraordinary Life
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The historical letters included in the story are particularly interesting especially since they were in order and the book was edited well. Excellent review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The letters would make it much more realistic and fun to me. I'm glad the author overcomes in the end. I just don't enjoy much non-fiction. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Great review! The fact that this is a true story makes this even more interesting. I think that I would like this one.
tranquilwaters86+2
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tranquilwaters86-2.html
Latest Review: Together by Claire Youmans

Post by tranquilwaters86+2 »

:tiphat: Thank you for that wonderful review. I decided to read the book when I was half way through. I sure hope I could make a review that good.
246christmasTree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 246christmasTree »

Like the review, now I will read the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”